How to watch US TV

I appreciate all the good advice.
Ideally I'd like to find a service that will let me record todays US TV shows and play them back later on my MacBook.

jeff1234 said:
I appreciate all the good advice.
Ideally I'd like to find a service that will let me record todays US TV shows and play them back later on my MacBook.

You can control a DVR with the slingbox and playback with slingplayer. Of coure the fly in the ointment with the slingbox, it has to be connected to the cable/sattelite reciever in the country where the programing originates. If you have famiy or good friends, a cablebox can be added to their existing service for under $15.00 a month and you have your own dedicated cablebox. Just a thought. Good Luck.

Dennisr, thats good info.
From what I was reading it seemed like Slingbox had to be attached to a satellite dish. If I can control it from BsAs and if it can be added to a US cable box without intruding I could probably get a friend or offspring to do it for me.
A quick search shows that there are many models of slingbox. Any suggestions about which would suit my needs?

You can connect slingox to any cable/sattelite box. The Slingplayer app on Itunes comes in two types, one for the Iphone and one for the iPad. You can use either in conjuction with Apple tv and dial it into you 9 billion pixel 96 inch HD tv. Check out the write up on the slingplayer App in Itunes.

jeff1234 said:
Dennisr, thats good info.
From what I was reading it seemed like Slingbox had to be attached to a satellite dish. If I can control it from BsAs and if it can be added to a US cable box without intruding I could probably get a friend or offspring to do it for me.
A quick search shows that there are many models of slingbox. Any suggestions about which would suit my needs?
Maybe somebody could comment on this: I was thinking of having someone host a sling box for me but then it occurred to me that I would also be sharing their internet connection to upload the data data from the box to the net and that might have some potential for conflict (slowing down their connection).

surfing said:
Maybe somebody could comment on this: I was thinking of having someone host a sling box for me but then it occurred to me that I would also be sharing their internet connection to upload the data data from the box to the net and that might have some potential for conflict (slowing down their connection).
It certainy COULD, but the thing is your upload speed at point of origin, host. From experience, 2 megs upload is about all one needs for good quality picture and that does not seem to be noticable at my host's house. At least they have not said anything. Upload speed is important. Do not really know about how upload and download speeds affect each other. At home, most everything is download, no?

Concur. Might work for a family abroad with a number of rambunctious kids or a group of guys during NFL/NCAA football season. For me--no way. But at least it's there.

Back