How to watch US TV

The best way to get US TV is to leave your cable or satellite service on and buy a device that will receive all your channels via WiFi (an IPad or other tablet is the perfect device). If you are going to be here long term, you can subscribe to Netflix and use a cloaking device so Netflix won't know you are in Argentina! That way, you will get the US version of Netflix which offers much more than the Argentine equivalent. You can also subscribe to digital cable here and get CNN, Fox News and Bloomberg, among other channels. By internet, you can get the streaming version of MSNBC. You can also download daily video podcasts of all MSNBC shows (Morning Joe, Rachel Maddox, Chris Matthews, etc.). You can use Justin.tv. If you have digital cable or satellite here, you can subscribe to the NFL, NBA or MLB packages. If you like hockey, you can subscribe to NHL Gamecenter live via the internet. There are lots of other streaming US channels available by the internet. By the way, if you choose the streaming option, you will need high-speed internet here--an absolute minimum of 6 Ms/sec. I have 12 and my NHL and NBA telecasts come in HD. There are other options but that's all I can think of at the moment. Hope this helps.

I've been here a week now. So far I'm using USTVnow which gives me good quality for about 20 stations for $44/mo after 3 discounted months.
I am buying a couple of HBO episodes a week from Itunes. They dont have a problem sending them to Argentina.

We have two Rokus for sale - see the classifieds - that work great with a VPN for getting US Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Video, etc.

Is there any device out there that can block the American series, programs etc. on the local cable provider????? :) hahahaha

@buying a couple of episodes...... and you wont go to hell for acessing projectfreetv either, with the proper chord you can still watch it on the bigger screen

btw any film recommendations in general?

Is it really necessary to watch USA TV? There are plenty of great Argentine programs to watch. How about trying to integrate to the local culture? I know it can be difficult sometimes because of the language barrier if you just recently arrived, but if you give it a try I'm sure you'll find that there are many Argentine programs out there that are very worthwhile:

1. Tinelli - Great variety show. It's a combination of ballet and other dance styles (all very high brow), with great intellectual banter from the judges. No wonder it is the most popular show in Argentina.
2. Encuentro - The most interesting documentaries and cultural shows. My friends have to literally peel me away from the TV they are so interesting. You can watch for days on end.
3. 678 - Unbiased local Argentine news
4. Futbol Para Todos - A series of high impact 60-second news reports featuring all the government's accomplishments and the projects and investments Cristina is working on. It's great because instead of commercials, they show soccer matches during the breaks.
5. Morning chat shows - These shows will go over what happened on Tinelli last night, just in case you missed it. The highlight reel, etc.
6. Cronica TV - 24 hour first on scene news coverage. Very serious analysis of all the day's events. Not the kind of soundbite coverage you get on US stations. And unlike US channels, absolutely no yellow journalism here.

Anyway, I could go on all day, but this is just a little guide to help you get started. I think after you see all the amazing programs that Argentine TV has to offer, you can forget about downloading your shows from the USA. You won't be missing anything.

That's really unfair; There are a lot of other shows that discuss what happened on Tinelli that you left out. :D

surfing said:
That's really unfair; There are a lot of other shows that discuss what happened on Tinelli that you left out. :D

That's true. But I don't know the names of them so I can't really recommend them. I think most of daytime TV is dedicated to discussing Tinelli.

Back