Howdy

Validitorian

Registered
My wife, son(4) and I have decided to move to BA in approx. 6 months - so I'm doing as much research as I can right now :)

The main reasons we want to go:

1) Education (not only for our son, but we would both like to learn cantonese also)

2) Culture (My wife loves culture-esque things.)

3) Money (I'm going to continue my job working in the US from home, so we'll be fairly well off, in BA standards)

Just decided to drop in and introduce myself!

why would you move to BA to learn cantonese? i know the chinese have the monopoly over the grocery stores but last time i checked they still spoke castillian over there...;)

you'll have a great time and sure to do well if you're earning in dollars.

you can do searches on key words for posts in this forum, i've found it really helpful in the run up to my move over there.

suerte!

diosaarenosa said:
why would you move to BA to learn cantonese? i know the chinese have the monopoly over the grocery stores but last time i checked they still spoke castillian over there...;)

you'll have a great time and sure to do well if you're earning in dollars.

you can do searches on key words for posts in this forum, i've found it really helpful in the run up to my move over there.

suerte!

d'oh :) I knew it wasn't "spanish" and started with a "c" :)

Any valuable information you can give that you wish you knew before you went?

Here's a question (There should really be a "general" board on this forum, btw)

I have to bring my computer, and I have two 24" LCD's.

I can probably bring the computer on the plane, but there's no way I can bring the monitors (they would certainly get smashed to bits) - How can I bring them? OR can I buy high-quality LCD monitors in Argentina for little more than the US? (these cost $300/ea)

OR is there a cheapish way to ship things from the US to BA?

Validitorian said:
Here's a question (There should really be a "general" board on this forum, btw)

OR is there a cheapish way to ship things from the US to BA?

Bringing things on the plane IS the cheapest way. I just came back with five suitcases (one @ 70lbs and four @ 100lbs. The excess baggage charges (AA) totaled $750 USD. I breezed through customs. They did not open anything but I knew what to say. There is also NO DUTY ON USED ITEMS brought with you on the plane (but more than one computer or monitor could result in charges). Anything you ship is subject to 50% duty on its retail value PLUS duty can be charged on the shipping cost as well.

steveinbsas said:
I breezed through customs. They did not open anything but I knew what to say.

What exactly do you say?

Thanks for the pointers, btw. I guess I need to figure out how to bring on two monitors...

When we moved we brought 5 suitcase on AA. The fee was worth it. We just told them we are relocating. As for electronics down here...they are expensive. An example the ihome portable player that you can get at target for $40us is about $699 pesos here. Expect a big mark up on the monitor.

Validitorian said:
My wife, son(4) and I have decided to move to BA in approx. 6 months - so I'm doing as much research as I can right now :)

The main reasons we want to go:

1) Education (not only for our son, but we would both like to learn cantonese also)

diosaarenosa: why would you move to BA to learn cantonese? i know the chinese have the monopoly over the grocery stores but last time i checked they still spoke castillian over there...;)

d'oh I knew it wasn't "spanish" and started with a "c" :)

Isn't there a "c" in "validi(c)torian" as well or did you create a new word?:D

steveinbsas said:
Isn't there a "c" in "validi(c)torian" as well or did you create a new word?:D

New word :) It's a play on the word, "valedictorian" - I am a web engineer, and deal with semantic XHTML/CSS, so a big part of my job is making sure that everyones code validates according to the w3c validator, thus, validitorian ;)

I bought a 22" samsung monitor here for 1000 pesos, decent quality and big enough. I'd be wary of shipping two of them, plus a curious customs official might not take kindly to your protests that they are used and yours.

Its a risk, might be safer to just buy them here. You'll sell them easy enough when you leave, good quality electronics keeps its value much better here than back home.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Newcomers Forum 6
J Newcomers Forum 10
Back