How's The Real Estate Market In Buenos Aires???

Hi

I rented out an apartment for 9 years, from 2004 to 2013, to one single lady. The flat was in Recoletaand had about 1,400 ft2 and one full bathroom, another half and a maid's bathroom. It had two large bedrooms and a maid's room. It was in very good shape. I ended up getting about $1,375 but I paid for all expenses except utilities. It was unfurnished and had a carport.

Whether it was too cheap or too expensive was not important to me because the lady kept it spotless and paid me in dollars (ironically, this did not end up mattering because we gutted the apartment when we remodeled it!). She would deposit the money in my account in BA.

This last year, we completely remodeled it and spent a tiny fortune doing so. Now we are faced with a similar dilemma to yours: keep it empty (we only travel there twice a year) and or put it up for vacation rental to generate some income. We are afraid of the damage that might be done to it if we put it on vacation rental but on the other hand, we could use the extra money to pay for the operating expenses and some airline tickets. We don't know what to do.

When we put the apartment out to rent, we used a local agency that had extensive experience with theEnglish speaking community, but I ended up finding the tenant by placing ads in LaNacion. The realtor just pocketed the commission for drafting the rental agreement, not for finding the tenant!

Would I sell now? Unless you need the money, this is not the time to sell. From everything I read, prices have come down and dollars are in great shortage. So, if you held it for 30 years, you can do so for two more and hope you can get a better price at that time.

Good luck.

It couldn't hurt to put the word out that you might be interested in selling (without officially getting tied up with an agent) and then do a short-term vacation rental in the meantime. We have friends who moved last year from their place in Palermo and they've had great luck with renting it out on AirBnB. It's almost always full. They do have a manager/cleaning lady that they trust…that is the key. Most of your renters will likely be from out of the country, so you can get your rent (and security deposit) in dollars, euros, etc.

This is what I mean...1700 dollars for a rent in BsARs? Dont't you think your advise is a bit inflated?
Do your know where you're? At the end of the world, in a city where lots of services don't work, where it's filthy and political very unstable.
I hope for you you may rent it for that price ... but who would?
Keep in mind tourist rental rates are completely different than a 2 yr lease rate. The owner charges more because there's no promise of having that property rented year round and I assume the upkeep is more expensive not to mention if going through an agency they have to pay a percentage for each time the place is rented.

Keep in mind tourist rental rates are completely different than a 2 yr lease rate. The owner charges more because there's no promise of having that property rented year round and I assume the upkeep is more expensive not to mention if going through an agency they have to pay a percentage for each time the place is rented.
I wonder if the temporary prices will stand. And all the other prices. I'll pay 360 dollar, expensas of 600 pesos on top, for a full furnitured huge studio in San Telmo, not a bad deal.
One thing is sure: sellers and owners of temporary rents may ask what they want, another thing is if they're able to sell or to rent it.

This is what I mean...1700 dollars for a rent in BsARs? Dont't you think your advise is a bit inflated?
Do your know where you're? At the end of the world, in a city where lots of services don't work, where it's filthy and political very unstable.
I hope for you you may rent it for that price ... but who would?
Sorry you don´t like my estimate and that you cannot afford certain areas. This is not an opinion, this is market price. His apartment is in a prime much desired area, and if it is in great shape as he describes, that is the ongoing price for a temp furnished rental. Give or take a hundred. If you are on a low budget, you are going to struggle as any shoe box is the city is over 70000 usd. you might want to save up some more, or wait and rent, or look for a cheaper city.

Please explain to Spfly731 the advantages &opportunities of selling Now :cool:

http://www.infobae.c...la-pesificacion

I don't know if it is a good time for him to sell or not. That is a personal decision. But what you wrote is incorrect. There are buyers here with Dollars, owners can get Dollars sent out of Argentina, and can get market rates close to 2011 highs. The specific situation that allows for that won't last forever.

So, if an owner is thinking of selling he should sell now. Otherwise, plan on hanging onto the property for a number of years with the very possibility of only getting Pesos in the future, at a lower market rate.

If you want more info PM me.

GS

You claim the best time for selling is right now, you may be correct who knows, it's your opinion :rolleyes:

If real estateTransactions dropped sharply is because less qualified buyers are around? I wonder :cool:

No one has a clue to what is going to happen in the real estate market anymore than anyone has a clue what exactly will happen to the economy. Kiciloff can't even answer those questions, and he is minister of the economy. We can only guess.

People aren't buying as much right now for two reasons:

1. The dollar restrictions
2. And, more importantly, the new changes to AFIP when you sell your property. You have to pay more to AFIP and you also have to prove the origin of the funds you used to buy your apartment came from.

If 1 and 2 get lifted, values will continue to go back up, unless the economy crashes. If they don't change, then no one can predict what will happen. I guess it might just sort of stagnantly continue along with values gradually going down. If the economy gets a little bit better in general, values might remain more or less stable.

People aren't buying as much right now for two reasons:

1. The dollar restrictions
2. And, more importantly, the new changes to AFIP when you sell your property. You have to pay more to AFIP and you also have to prove the origin of the funds you used to buy your apartment came from.

Do you know the exact name of the tax that has increased and the new rate?

Also, does proving the origin of the funds apply to both resident and non-resident sellers?

A good framework to think about whether it might be good to buy or sell is to look at it as an investment asset:

Lets assume you'd get 200k US$ when selling (the numbers are quite arbitrary and only for illustration), while getting 1700 US$ per month for renting it out. If you rent it out, you will have 20400$ yearly rental income in an ideal case, but you might not be having it rented out each day in the year and have to cover additional costs like repairs. So if for example 10000 US$ are left after all your expenses, you basically get an interest rate of 5%. Next you can compare it to alternatives, i.e., what can you do with the money if you'd sell the apartment. How much do you get if you invest it (based on your risk preferences)? How much would you get if you buy another apartment in another city? And so on...

Personally I was thinking about buying a smaller apartment in Palermo, but the prices seem to high for me: the amortization times here compared to other countries are ok-ish if you'd get a "temporal rate" and manage to rent it like 10 out of 12 month, but if you would only rent it out something like 40-50% of the year or rent it the whole year but for the "long-term rate", it quickly becomes worse than buying a property in other "expensive" cities like London.

Back