Huge electric bill

garygrunson

Registered
Just got a huge electric bill. It makes no sense, since I have not run the air conditioner in more than a month. 200% more than the one during summer.

It seems to be without subsidy. Last time they gave me a choice to pay without subsidy or with. This one does not offer that option.

Any idea what is going on?

Take a look at the increase in the per kilowatt hour charges and compare them with previous bills. Not only have the subsidies been taken away (thank goodness not in Congreso) but the electricity unit charges have increased about 35%. Talk about a double whammy. Change all your lightbulbs to bajo consumo or LED and reduce your consumption.

Davidglen77 said:
Take a look at the increase in the per kilowatt hour charges and compare them with previous bills. Not only have the subsidies been taken away (thank goodness not in Congreso) but the electricity unit charges have increased about 35%. Talk about a double whammy. Change all your lightbulbs to bajo consumo or LED and reduce your consumption.

Wow, I was trying to reduce my usage. I have already changed my lightbulbs and cut my air conditioning as well. I guess I could use candles. But the computer will not work with them. I still think something is wrong.

That very well could be. I had a tenant who all of a sudden got huge electric bills but nothing had changed, this was about a year ago. He made a complaint to Edesur and they opened a case to investigate. He has since moved out so I don't know if they resolved the case in his favor, but I know they did give him an official case number. The one time my electric bill shot up a lot was when my gas fired hot water heater broke and I temporarily installed for about 2 months an electric hot water heater. The difference was about 100% in the cost. Check your appliances as well, just an idea.

As I understand it, the previous offer to pay the price with the subsidy or without was something to get you used to the idea that it was coming. I lost my subsidy two months ago. Mine went up just about 200%.

I have a friend who received a notice in the mail a month ago telling him he was losing his and had 30 days to protest the loss of subsidy. He didn't even bother to oppose it. I didn't even get a notice beyond the offer to pay the without subsidy voluntarily before.

Get used to it, I'm afraid.

It's still cheaper than what I used to pay in my old house in Houston, which is one of the few things I can say that about here.

Depending on where you live, you could have sent the letter to keep the subsidy, failing to do so meant that you did not want it anymore... There are some specific areas in the city and greater BA that were losing it no matter what. Not sure which of the two groups you fall in...

I live in Recoleta / Barrio Norte, and get Edenor electricity. I do not remember seeing a letter. I am sure this barrio is one of the most expensive in city (maybe Puerto Madero is more). And it still is cheaper than the US, but not by much.

garygrunson said:
I live in Recoleta / Barrio Norte, and get Edenor electricity. I do not remember seeing a letter. I am sure this barrio is one of the most expensive in city (maybe Puerto Madero is more). And it still is cheaper than the US, but not by much.

Gary, I live in Recoleta too and was able to keep my subsidy... Mind giving me your streets to see if you can still do anyth about it?

nikad said:
Gary, I live in Recoleta too and was able to keep my subsidy... Mind giving me your streets to see if you can still do anyth about it?
Juncal and Austria, maybe I missed the letter, wonder what can be done to change that.

garygrunson said:
Juncal and Austria, maybe I missed the letter, wonder what can be done to change that.

yes, you should have been able to keep it, unless you live in a luxury building. There are two things you can do: go to the electric company and tell them you payed just so you wouldn t have the electricity shut off but that you never got the letter and that you want to keep the subsidy, they will give you a number and process it. Not sure if you meet any of the requirements, but being a tenant should suffice. Then there is a toll free number you can call about this, I do not have it handy, if I find it I will post it here. I would say act as soon as you can.

Back