Hydrogen Peroxide?

Farmacia has it as Agua Oxigenada in a white 100 cm3 bottle with black lettering in pure form, 10vol. It works less effectively than the Magistral dish soap, but be sure to use a clear or cream colored so the wall color doesn't change to the color of the dish soap. Good luck.

For some reason I thought that hydrogen peroxide cannot be exposed to light for long, that's why they sell it in dark brown bottles in the states... so when I saw the agua oxygenada in the kind of whitish-translucent bottle, I thought, this can't be it. Anyway I'll try it on the wall and see what happens.

Had this problem and it wreaked havoc for my allergies. We mixed water with "Agua Lavandina" (yellow bottle you'll find in the cleaning supply section of any supermarket) and wiped the walls down ... then followed with baking soda (bicarbanato) and water and the spots are gone. Make sure to use gloves and keep the windows open. We also bought a fern plant because they absorb humidity ... bromeliads work too ... other plants will increase the humidity. Suerte!

Hydrogen peroxide - in the typical brown bottle - is already diluted to 3%. Whatever you buy here, check the label to see how much it is already diluted.
Never use full strength bleach when cleaning mold or mildew. It is recommended to use very diluted bleach and it actually is much more effective and will cause fewer issues with fumes and yellowing. You can check this by googling mold remediation strategies.

If there's mold, then you might have a leak in the roof. We had to have our roof redone because the genius that originally put it on left a gap where the roof connects to the neighbor's wall. Before moving in, one day during a heavy rainstorm I saw streaks of moisture coming down the wall. :confused: So it might be a good idea to have someone check to make sure that everything is good up there.

Borax is another option for cleaning.

If there's mold, then you might have a leak in the roof. We had to have our roof redone because the genius that originally put it on left a gap where the roof connects to the neighbor's wall. Before moving in, one day during a heavy rainstorm I saw streaks of moisture coming down the wall. :confused: So it might be a good idea to have someone check to make sure that everything is good up there.

Borax is another option for cleaning.

I don't doubt that there are leaks in the roof; but we're just renting so we're taking a 'don't ask don't tell' policy... there have appeared very minimal cracks and stains on the walls but our neighbor (who shares the floor with us and has roof access while we don't) mentioned the problems with the water collecting on the roof and the building history etc.

I think the owner (of 15 years) is well aware and has to do major reworks between tenants to kind of hide the fact that this problem keeps coming back again and again. We're not planning to stay much longer than the contract though (still have 1-1.5 years to go) so my biggest concern is to not be breathing mold spores at night, and I'll leave the rest to the owner. We love the flat but would never buy a top floor for this very reason! Thanks for the Borax tip.

I don't doubt that there are leaks in the roof; but we're just renting so we're taking a 'don't ask don't tell' policy... there have appeared very minimal cracks and stains on the walls but our neighbor (who shares the floor with us and has roof access while we don't) mentioned the problems with the water collecting on the roof and the building history etc.

I think the owner (of 15 years) is well aware and has to do major reworks between tenants to kind of hide the fact that this problem keeps coming back again and again. We're not planning to stay much longer than the contract though (still have 1-1.5 years to go) so my biggest concern is to not be breathing mold spores at night, and I'll leave the rest to the owner. We love the flat but would never buy a top floor for this very reason! Thanks for the Borax tip.
Most likely a flat roof and the drains get plugged with debris from the trees. Usually combined with a cheapo landlord who refuses to do a new mambrano.

Don't wipe either! If the spores go airborne you're in for more problems, they can potentially lodge on other surfaces and spread. So dip your cloth / trapo in the bleach mixture, then apply and hold to the mold. Keep it there a few seconds, then dip back etc, slowly treating the problem area. You may at first think that it must be damp, but when you take a good look you'll see it's actually a very fine fine dry powdery mess. Inhaling that stuff can make your allergies terrible, and can even lead to a funal sinusitis. lovely...

Back