Hyperinflation ante portas

Greg S

Registered
I find plenty of what I need/want in the Carrefour Hipermarket in Alcorta, Jumbo in Portal, and Ichiban/Casa China in Barrio Chino. Devoto in Montevideo is good too. https://www.devoto.com.uy/

When I can no longer get a great cab or tannat, or bife de chorizo, then I’ll start worrying.

joelie

Registered
Vegemite, you said? Please, pretty please......WHERE.....WHERE......WHERE.....?
Half a jar... in my cupboard. (Imported directly via my parents, so I couldn't tell you where to get it here, sorry.) I'll let you know if I find some somewhere. There is a place in Liniers that is all imported goods, although he has never had vegemite. I'm sure he could get it if you ask, although I could never bring myself to pay $20 for a jar of vegemite.

EL_TIGRE_de_Tigre

Registered
Half a jar... in my cupboard. (Imported directly via my parents, so I couldn't tell you where to get it here, sorry.) I'll let you know if I find some somewhere. There is a place in Liniers that is all imported goods, although he has never had vegemite. I'm sure he could get it if you ask, although I could never bring myself to pay $20 for a jar of vegemite.
I always marvel at the idea of thinking something costs too much without considering other factors. "FREIGHT & HANDLING."

In some instances, something very well does cost more ! But, in the instance of an imported product, there definitely is a cost to get it transported from point A to point B. And those who are doing the work and performing the service, deserve to make a profit as well.

I have no idea what vegemite should cost. I can see it on Amazon, but I have no reference point for the value. But, depending upon the volume moved at one time in a shipment and any tariffs involved, it should be estimated to cost 2 to 3 times your lowest, domestic purchase price at home.

2 to 3 times the product cost for shipping and handling is about correct. And unit costs should drop as more units are involved in a purchase transaction.

My 2 cents!!

on the brink

Registered
Devoto carries many French mustards and exotic teas. And the Punta del Este Tienda Inglesa branch is an Aladdin's cave of imported delicacies. Sadly, no Vegemite, and no Marmite either. In the States, even my local Safeway stocks Marmite!

joelie

Registered
I always marvel at the idea of thinking something costs too much without considering other factors. "FREIGHT & HANDLING."

In some instances, something very well does cost more ! But, in the instance of an imported product, there definitely is a cost to get it transported from point A to point B. And those who are doing the work and performing the service, deserve to make a profit as well.

I have no idea what vegemite should cost. I can see it on Amazon, but I have no reference point for the value. But, depending upon the volume moved at one time in a shipment and any tariffs involved, it should be estimated to cost 2 to 3 times your lowest, domestic purchase price at home.

2 to 3 times the product cost for shipping and handling is about correct. And unit costs should drop as more units are involved in a purchase transaction.

My 2 cents!!
I appreciate your help but, for me, that is way too much economic analysis for a jar of Vegemite! LOL! Whatever the extra costs are for, and whether or not it is 'fair' to all those in the supply chain, is largely irrelevant to the basic decision of what I am going to choose to spend my money on. :)

EL_TIGRE_de_Tigre

Registered
I appreciate your help but, for me, that is way too much economic analysis for a jar of Vegemite! LOL! Whatever the extra costs are for, and whether or not it is 'fair' to all those in the supply chain, is largely irrelevant to the basic decision of what I am going to choose to spend my money on. :)
Dear Joelie,

I understand your point of view and I respect it very much.

We all view our purchases differently. Some of us do what I do, but most of us do what you do. And neither action makes it right or wrong, it just describes what we do.