Hyperinflation ante portas

In 1989, I spent the month of July in ARG. I shuttled weekly between apt in Recoleta and house in San Pedro, Prov of BA.
1. Advantageous, due to exchange rate, to utilize foreign credit cards. Most high end restaurants and hotels in Recoleta gladly accepted AMExpress. We ate every meal out while in CABA.
2. Tried to purchase a pair of leather boots at well-known shoe store on Calle Florida. Nothing they had on display and in stock was available to buy, using any form of payment, as replacement value from manufacturers changed daily.
3. Exchanged only (1) US$100 bill at cueva in Microcentro. Amount obtained in pesos was sufficient to purchase all the dry goods needed for the month to use at both properties. Did my shopping at TIA Express, a supermarket in the city.
4. Banks did not have ATM machines.

Last edited:
Bidets as a standard household feature are seriously one of my favorite things about living in Argentina. It may have its problems but it at least it has personal hygiene through thick and thin!
Indeed. I spend time here or in Thailand. Here we have the bidet and in Thailand the "bum gun". So much more civilized.:)

The only bidet I ever saw in the States was in a bathroom at Kennedy Airport's Arrivals hall. Any more sightings?

after 3 years living here i still havent tried them. maybe one day when i'm desperate... :)
Noooo.... imagine you are walking on a street in CABA and trip over, falling hands-first into a steaming pile of dog poop. Would you really just dab it off with a piece of paper and then go back to your daily activities?

Nothing beats the seat-warming Japanese Toto that plays pleasing sounds to mask those of the user and once you have finished it sprays you at the pressure and temperature of your choosing and blows hot air to dry you off :)

Noooo.... imagine you are walking on a street in CABA and trip over, falling hands-first into a steaming pile of dog poop. Would you really just dab it off with a piece of paper and then go back to your daily activities?

Nothing beats the seat-warming Japanese Toto that plays pleasing sounds to mask those of the user and once you have finished it sprays you at the pressure and temperature of your choosing and blows hot air to dry you off :)

I don't get this argument. You would wash and scrub, how do you scrub with the bidet? Also, how do you dry yourself? If you're somewhere other then your own house do you bring your own towel?

I had to use one in the field trailer one time but was forced to drive back to neuquen three hours with swamp ass.

Bidet never made sense to me but I'm open to convincing.

Back