I have 7 days to renew my VISA... best course of action?

syngirl said:
where do you get the $100 USD for the overstay fine?

My son stayed over 90 days, he was charged $100 USD at Ezeiza..

$50 pesos is what immigration charges if you prolong your stay in Argentina, you can do it only once, and it must be done before it expires, check it out, maybe this would be a better option.......

expatalex said:

$50 pesos is what immigration charges if you prolong your stay in Argentina, you can do it only once, and it must be done before it expires, check it out, maybe this would be a better option.......

If I understand correctly, 50 pesos is what they charge if you overstay the visa. If you go to migraciones before the expiration, you can easily renew for another 90 days for $100 pesos. I KNOW because I have done it.

expatalex said:

I must admit I have never done so, but it appears that many have done it more than once....

expatalex said:

steveinbsas said:
If I understand correctly, 50 pesos is what they charge if you overstay the visa. If you go to migraciones before the expiration, you can easily renew for another 90 days for $100 pesos. I KNOW because I have done it.

Speaking as rather an Expert in the area of overstaying, I can easily say that Steve is right and Alex is wrong. I have overstayed 5 times. The last time I overstayed by MORE THAN ONE YEAR. I got charged 50 PESOS. I got let back in without a single question asked, stamp in my passport for another 3 months. This was on December 22, 2008. The last time I had left the country was December 12, 2007. I had no hassle, I just paid the 50 pesos. No fines, nothing.

Did your son fill out the forms at the migraciones? Or did he just pay some "official" at the gate??? Does he not speak Spanish? I have to say, the people at Migraciones have always been nice to me and if anything, TOO honest -- it was a woman at Ezeiza that originally informed me that I could overstay 2 days, 2 weeks or 2 years and she was only going to charge me 50 pesos.

If your kid paid $100 USD he was paying a coima (bribe) not an official fee. There are currently NO VISA fees in place and there will not be until at least March this year. Furthermore the fee for renewing a visa is only 100 pesos if done at Migraciones PRIOR TO THE EXPIRY of you visa. The overstay fine is 50 PESOS.

Unless everything has changed since December 22, 2008 I can say that my information is all up to date and I was not fined anything above the usual 50 pesos, nor was I charged anything extra upon re-entry.

BTW -- I'm not advocating anyone do what I do. I don't worry about my Visa situation because I'm marrying my Argentine boyfriend at the end of the year and then will have to start the DNI process.

In my experience, the more integrated into Argentina you seem, the less hassle you're going to get from the authorities. Also i'm Canadian, not American, so I think I'm automatically get a leg up on the Yanks, though with Obama you guys might be liked again!

I speak pretty fluent Spanish, though with a shocker of an accent, and the officials seem to appreciate that. I don't try and pretend to be naive about my situation. I've usually had very friendly officials both at migraciones and customs -- customs officers usually flip through my passport and ask if I have a boyfriend, and I'll reply something like "Si, me enganchó!" which usually gets a bit of a laugh.

However, when I go to the airport, I'm usually surrounded by my Argentine family -- I can never leave town without at least my boyfriend being there, if he's coming too then it's usually + mum, + dad, + one or two siblings, + 1 year old niece etc. It's quite the scene. I don't look like I'm some tourist, I look like I'm pretty integrated, and I think that helps a lot.

Or maybe it's just that I have boobs and I'm blonde... hmmmmmmmm

expatalex said:
My son stayed over 90 days, he was charged $100 USD at Ezeiza...

Syngirl is correct. The $100 dollars was a bribe. It appears to be the standard amount at EZE. That's what I paid to get my dog into the country when the vet didn't "approve" of the Mexican certificate of health that I presented (as opposed to the International certificate).

Amazingly, when I took two $100 dollar bills out of my wallet, the vet said that was too much! I actually needed to change one of them into pesos to pay the real fee to bring in the pup (about ten pesos).

dudes, and dudas..... just call immigration and clear all your doubts, I REPEAT " If immigration Argentina is out to look for you because your stay is illegal you can be fined up to $3000,00 USD " its a FACT...... this is the case where they are out to look for you, not if you present yourself at the airport to leave.

you can extend your stay for $50 pesos just only "once" before your original 90 days expire.

Argentine immigration is not out looking for illegal aliens as they are sought out in the USA, so no worry there......

expatalex said:
...I REPEAT " If immigration Argentina is out to look for you because your stay is illegal you can be fined up to $3000,00 USD " its a FACT......

By any chance, could you provide a link to any official information supporting this FACT? Do you know of any precedents when somebody was fined $3000,00 USD or any other amount more than 100 pesos?

expatalex said:
dudes, and dudas..... just call immigration and clear all your doubts, I REPEAT " If immigration Argentina is out to look for you because your stay is illegal you can be fined up to $3000,00 USD " its a FACT...... this is the case where they are out to look for you, not if you present yourself at the airport to leave.

you can extend your stay for $50 pesos just only "once" before your original 90 days expire.

Argentine immigration is not out looking for illegal aliens as they are sought out in the USA, so no worry there......

The cost for the 90 day extension is $100 pesos, not $50.

And the fine is still $50 pesos for overstaying the visa, not the $100 dollars you son paid.

I hope you are just as wrong about the $3000 dollar fine if caught with an expired visa while "in" the country.

Even if it is "true" I hope you wouldn't be gullible enough to pay it.

hey sal - best and easiest is to go to colonia, uruguay. you can get there by a fast ferry, 1 hour, with buquebus-200pesos. they have a dock at puerto madero.

or you can use buquebus and go to punta or montevideo.

buquebus has an office in recoleta, 1452 posadas. you can go to the office and buy a ticket.

http://www.buquebus.com/cache/HomeARG.html

Back