I Need A Background Check!

MnParaPalermo

Registered
Hey expats,

I am in the US until Saturday and then I go back to Buenos Aires. I am grabbing my school transcript and diploma to bring back and I am still missing my FBI background check.

The proccess seems simple,
1) Fill the paper application
2) Go to police station and fill out fingerprint card with your fingers and ink (my state does not have any digital stations)
3) Mail the prints and app to FBI
4) Recieve prints

Before I go, I have a few questions

1) Is there any other option than this? I read something about "channelers"
2) DO I need an apostille to use the report in BsAs?
3) Will I have to schedule an appointment or just walk in?

Thanks!!

If you do it yourself, make sure you get a couple sets of prints on the cards in case one isn't clear enough (I walked into my local police precinct of the city my driver's license was issued in MN). You don't want a fingerprint rejection by FBI...having two or even three copies gives you back ups.

Make certain that on your request to FBI, you note it is to be used in Argentina. They have to send a version of the result with signature and seal. They don't do this by default.

Finally, you have them send it to someone in the US and they can send it back to US State Dept for the Apostille. You need the Apostille. Theoretically, the FBI can send it directly to the State Dept for the Apostille and then ultimately on the the address you want but I don't have experience do that myself. If you can work that out--it saves a round trip from DC.

Hey expats,

I am in the US until Saturday and then I go back to Buenos Aires. I am grabbing my school transcript and diploma to bring back and I am still missing my FBI background check.

The proccess seems simple,
1) Fill the paper application
2) Go to police station and fill out fingerprint card with your fingers and ink (my state does not have any digital stations)
3) Mail the prints and app to FBI
4) Recieve prints

Before I go, I have a few questions

1) Is there any other option than this? I read something about "channelers"
2) DO I need an apostille to use the report in BsAs?
3) Will I have to schedule an appointment or just walk in?

Thanks!!

Didn't you ask about the FBI report in early July?

You must have, because you "liked" this answer:

Your FBI report must be authenticated by the State Department. See the FBI website for more information regarding the current procedure.

http://baexpats.org/...uments-to-grab/

PS: I'm sure you meant "receive report" instead of "receive prints" (number four in you list of steps), but it isn't clear what you are asking about in the question, "Will I have to schedule an appointment or just walk in?"

What exactly you may need an appointment for isn't clear and neither is where you would walk in. Are you referring to migraciones in Argentina?

If so, the answer is yes, you will need an appointment....and don't forget to have an Argentine police report that hasn't expired.

Contact Gabriel Celano in BA. He can take your prints and request the report. You'll need an address to get the report sent to in the US as well as someone to forward on to the state department with a check for the fee, but you'll they'll get your report in a few days and ready for authentication by the state dept. The authentication took less than 2 weeks each time I've requested it, but I used overnight service there and sent an overnight service preprinted label/envelope for the return with my request. I paid for the shipping online and sent the label images as files for my family to print in the US via email with instructions for what goes where and when. Just make it as effortless as possible for your person in the US to receive/forward/receive/forward.

They can. But I've been told (by the FBI and a channeling service) that the report delivered online is not sufficient for foreign residency/immigration. Online reports are sufficient for typical usage within the US.

They can. But I've been told (by the FBI and a channeling service) that the report delivered online is not sufficient for foreign residency/immigration. Online reports are sufficient for typical usage within the US.

Good to know. When I was looking earlier in the year, I assumed that they would Fed Ex you an actual physical document. In the end I didn't need it (not going to Spain), but for future reference, this is something to consider.

image.png

Woohoo! I just went to the BCA and I printed out 3 cards of the digital finger scans. I am sending the fingerprint card with the application and credit card info. In three months (hopefully less) I should have a background report ready for an apostle. I was in lucky to have an apt today since I leave for Buenos aires tomorrow

Back