I need a virtual US phone number to receive sms messages here in Argentina

gonzalob54

Registered
All those verification codes for my US credit cards are driving me crazy, any recommendations ... Virtual US phone number? Who ?

All those verification codes for my US credit cards are driving me crazy, any recommendations ... Virtual US phone number? Who ?
Some companies just want to be sure that their customer is in the USA, so they don't send verification SMS to virtual numbers. Any virtual numbers - whether it is skype, or google voice, or magicjack, or any other VOIP provider.
You can try google voice or textnow or voip.ms (paid, but cheap), but some banks do not allow virtual numbers (you can not even save the voip number in your contact info), some do allow them but do not send SMS (quietly), some send SMS - it's a mixed bag.

It may be easier to install bank's application and select "send push to the application" as a notification option.

Last edited:
The SMS verification codes poses a Serious problem here in Argentina..! for instance the sms codes for bank transfers..! Could the verification code be sent to an email instead ? (silly question)

The SMS verification codes poses a Serious problem here in Argentina..! for instance the sms codes for bank transfers..! Could the verification code be sent to an email instead ? (silly question)
My Bank of America verification codes are sent via emails. For large transfers, they send me a Google verification pop-up on my phone.
I think this should work for other banks, you have to choose email as your primary contact instead of your phone.

I tried calling Capital One today and there is nothing they could do to change verification from sms to anything else (e-mait, cap one app, etc) It depends on the merchant, got 2k plane ticket purchased approved instantly and a 22 dollar train ticket from Barcelona refused, needing to send me a code, go figure. Anybody knows if Capital One would use MySudo for messaging?

I tried calling Capital One today and there is nothing they could do to change verification from sms to anything else (e-mait, cap one app, etc) It depends on the merchant, got 2k plane ticket purchased approved instantly and a 22 dollar train ticket from Barcelona refused, needing to send me a code, go figure. Anybody knows if Capital One would use MySudo for messaging?
I have Capital One and using popups in Android application and Google Voice number for verification. In the app you can specify where alerts should be sent to.

Last edited:
My Google Voice number works with Bank of America, Capital One, and Discover Bank text notifiations.
I had problems with PayPal and Zelle but, after several intents, I could successfully use my google voice number with PayPal, and I use my email while wokring with Zelle.
Hope this helps!

My Bank of America verification codes are sent via emails. For large transfers, they send me a Google verification pop-up on my phone.
I think this should work for other banks, you have to choose email as your primary contact instead of your phone.
@El manolo I also bank in Bank of America, my login verification code is sent via email, however transfers require SMS codes in Android. Any ideas on procedure to change from SMS codes to emails?

@El manolo I also bank in Bank of America, my login verification code is sent via email, however transfers require SMS codes in Android. Any ideas on procedure to change from SMS codes to emails?
It's called "USB security Key". Go to Security Center and look for it. It's pretty easy to set up.

The only solution I found is Google Fi cellular service. You need to arrange to activate it in the US but once you do it will send short sms codes from your bank to you here in Argentina. It works best with a Google Pixel phone. I have a dual sim Pixel phone. I recevied sms codes and any calls to my US phone number. I put a Movistar sim in the second slot. It gives me local voice and data service plus I subscribe to their global phone and data service.

Last edited:
Back