i need to learn spanish!!

shane boyle

Registered
hey there, my name's shane boyle, i'm 26 and from london, i'm here until late february and i'm looking for a group spanish calss to join. it has to be a group class to keep the costs down, if anyone has any info that would be great :)

much obliged

shane

there are tons of schools in buenos aires, so it can be hard to choose sometimes. the main differences are price, facilities and location.

since you are already in buenos aires, i would recommend physically going to the schools to do a tour and ask a lots of questions. that way, it will be easier to make a decision. i think it is easier after seeing things with your own eyes.

schools that i hear good things about:

Expanish (www.expanish.com)
Vos (www.vosbuenosaires.com)
Vamos Spanish Academy (www.vamosspanish.com)

good luck!

Hi Shane,

I've tried a few places and different methods and in my opinion UBA, the University of Buenos Aires, is by far the best. You can do between 4 hours a day or 4 hours a week depending. It works out about 15 pesos an hour. There is an exam at the end of each level too.
Good luck!

london2ba said:
Hi Shane,

I've tried a few places and different methods and in my opinion UBA, the University of Buenos Aires, is by far the best. You can do between 4 hours a day or 4 hours a week depending. It works out about 15 pesos an hour. There is an exam at the end of each level too.
Good luck!

Could you please state the division of the UBA where you went? I wanted to do a course, and besides being about 30 pesos per hour, the course got canceled and getting the money back was really difficult (or almost would have been. After they told me it will take 2 months to give me back my money, I had my credit card company cancel the payment. Good that I did not pay cash)
I must add that the difference in price/hour partly results from the course I wanted to do being a special objective course and not a general spanish course. Nevertheless, I can't imagine that they offer anything for a price as low as 15 pesos per hour.
Here is the current price list: http://www.idiomas.filo.uba.ar/extranjeros/espanol/cursos/regulares.htm#arancelesespanol
Results as 27 pesos per hour (1830 pesos divided by 68 hours)

I went to http://www.academiabuenosaires.com/ . Roughly 40 pesos per hour, but great teachers and small class sizes (1-5 students).

Like allisonk recommends, I also used conversationexchange.com to find partners to chat with or talk over skype. This is something you do to practice while you are in britain. Once you are in BsAs it is not relevant any more I think, you get plenty of people to talk with.
For me it was a great opportunity to have a few contacts before arriving in BsAs. I exclusively looked for language partners from BsAs, so when I arrived I had a few people to have a coffee or a beer with, who I knew from countless hours of chatting or talking online.

Hi Shane.International House in San Isidro is only two train stops from where you are based.Get off the train and it,s literally 50 metres away...

hey guys and gals!

i really am genuinely moved by the response i've had, i guess there are decent people who are willing to help in this world!!
all your help is well recieved and greatly appriciated
maybe see you all out and about, this world is pretty small

keep me in the loop

shane

Your best bet is to sign up for Spanglish... when I'm in BA I always go there... can't wait to be back in Baires!!! less than two months now... here's the link: http://www.spanglishexchange.com/

Blessings,
Dave

shane boyle said:
hey there, my name's shane boyle, i'm 26 and from london, i'm here until late february and i'm looking for a group spanish calss to join. it has to be a group class to keep the costs down, if anyone has any info that would be great :)

much obliged

shane

Quote: Could you please state the division of the UBA where you went? I wanted to do a course, and besides being about 30 pesos per hour, the course got canceled and getting the money back was really difficult (or almost would have been. After they told me it will take 2 months to give me back my money, I had my credit card company cancel the payment. Good that I did not pay cash)

Sorry to hear that, I have heard of courses being cancelled or rescheduled at the language schools here, I'm glad you did not have to wait for a refund.
My first course was 1200 pesos for 68 hours but I paid less because I booked with someone else and they gave a discount for that, the last course I booked was 950 pesos and the price goes down each time to you return to study.
I met some UBA friends for lunch today and heard the course more like 1,480 pesos for first timers but just it's not just UBA it's everywhere. I hope you find something affordable.
I am going to try the language exchange someone recommended...good luck!

Back