I Tried Xoom Today

I just need a one-time transfer. Would like to get $1000 or a bit more (which would be over 10,000 pesos). I hear conflicting things. Some people say you can't get more than 5000 pesos in any single transaction, others say you can't get 10,000 pesos or more in a month without the extra requirements kicking in. I don't want to have my friend in the US to have to jump through any hoops and don't want to ask them to provide documents or explanations to either Xoom or AFIP. Should I stay under 5000 peso limit then? Or what...

I just need a one-time transfer. Would like to get $1000 or a bit more (which would be over 10,000 pesos). I hear conflicting things. Some people say you can't get more than 5000 pesos in any single transaction, others say you can't get 10,000 pesos or more in a month without the extra requirements kicking in. I don't want to have my friend in the US to have to jump through any hoops and don't want to ask them to provide documents or explanations to either Xoom or AFIP. Should I stay under 5000 peso limit then? Or what...

My first time was few months ago I sent myself almost 12000 pesos (1000 us$) I used a debit card with us address did transfer night before I went. Got email saying transfer ready in about an hour. Went to MORE location on libertad (sp) next day and it literally took longer to count money then any paperwork I needed to fill out. Just make sure sender exactly matchs name that's on ur passport. As far as exceeding any limit nothing was mentioned and my pesos were in my hand.

My second time using xoom I picked up 2000 us$ in Uruguay and it went just as easy ive only used it twice but both times went positively flawless for me.

You can receive a transfer for any amount. You can do it from your own US bank account. It's not that complicated. Just do it.

Friends from the UK were running out of cash and planning to go to Uruguay to withdraw dollars. I suggested they use Azimo, and they did. It's a bit more complicated to set up an account from abroad since Azimo requires a photo ID, but they managed. They processed a transfer to themselves for 1,000 British pounds and picked up the money the next day at a money transfer agency three blocks from their apartment -- 18,000 pesos isn't easy to hide in a pocket. They saved a day by not taking the boat to Colonia.

so whats different in this post, than the other one you posted here?

http://baexpats.org/topic/32784-xoom-cash-pickup-vs-bank-transfer/

its the same thing, are you attempting to bury something else, keep us from seeing another post? Im curious?

You can receive a transfer for any amount. You can do it from your own US bank account. It's not that complicated. Just do it.

Friends from the UK were running out of cash and planning to go to Uruguay to withdraw dollars. I suggested they use Azimo, and they did. It's a bit more complicated to set up an account from abroad since Azimo requires a photo ID, but they managed. They processed a transfer to themselves for 1,000 British pounds and picked up the money the next day at a money transfer agency three blocks from their apartment -- 18,000 pesos isn't easy to hide in a pocket. They saved a day by not taking the boat to Colonia.

I used Xoom to receive money from the US. It worked very fast and I had no problems.

For the past 18 months, I've transferred $500US monthly from my USA account to myself without a problem. It's been more than 5,000 pesos. I get the money in pesos without any problem. A transfer is ready for pickup in 30 minutes with the transaction number and photo ID at a number of locations in the capital. When I reached the 40,000 peso mark, I had to produce bank statements showing the source of funds. The transaction is posted to my account after I receive the money.

I've been wondering when I was going to be required to produce bank statements once again to MORE for a money transfer. Today they requested them because I reached the 60,000 peso amount for the year. I was given the option of supplying either printed statements for the last two months or sending the same by email to their central office. I questioned who would be receiving my bank statements and how would that take care of the requirement. I was assured that my transfer would be released in the system once they received my bank statements via email. I sent them to [email protected] and will return later today for the transfer.

By the way, the woman at the Libertad office disclosed the fact today for the first time that she speaks English. I had no idea that she could until today, after she handled most of my transfers for the past two years. I pass that on for those of you who aren't fluent in the language.

I had to go through the same rigmarole a few months ago
I just walked out, went to a nearby locutorio. Logged into my bank account and printed out one or two pages.
Went back to the place & was given my $$$ without any problems.
I think the woman you speak of is the one that sits at the far left window. The one closest to the street.
She is the one who had me go through the paper chase. At first I thought she was picking on me.
But later realized they're just following orders, she's actually quite nice to me now.

Her name is Natalia (brown hair tied back and wears glasses), and she isn't always at the same window. I could have gone to a cybercafé, too, but I didn't know the location for one in the area.

I sent an email with the statements at 12:40 and received this confirmation from MORE at 15:30.
Buenas tardes Janis,
Recibimos la documentación correctamente. Puede acercarse por nuestra oficina para retirar el dinero.
Saludos,
Patricio.

I returned at 17:30 to pick up the money transfer. Natalie asked if I wanted the DECLARATION FORM in Spanish or in English to complete and sign. She knows me as a regular customer and the transaction was done in a few minutes. She put the cash in the money counter which displays the amount you are given.

Back