I Tried Xoom Today

I used it for a while until they put one of my wires on hold for review (even though they already had copies of my IDs etc. from previous wires). Talked to some hard to understand and unfriendly call center agent in India (worst customer service so far). After all sorts of questions the guy told me he would approve it, but the wire never went through. Switched to Ria after that. At the beginning they were a lot slower than Xoom but the latest wires went through within a couple of work days. Also Ria's exchange rate is usually better and the fees lower than Xoom's. Before I had my own cuil/cuit and bank account I had wired the money to my wife.

I used it for a while until they put one of my wires on hold for review (even though they already had copies of my IDs etc. from previous wires). Talked to some hard to understand and unfriendly call center agent in India (worst customer service so far). After all sorts of questions the guy told me he would approve it, but the wire never went through. Switched to Ria after that. At the beginning they were a lot slower than Xoom but the latest wires went through within a couple of work days. Also Ria's exchange rate is usually better and the fees lower than Xoom's. Before I had my own cuil/cuit and bank account I had wired the money to my wife.

This is troubling, you say something different from jantango just before you. It seems there's no consistency and everyone has a different experience. Sucks.

Anyone know if it's much easier to pick it up from Uruguay (in dollars I assume).

This is troubling, you say something different from jantango just before you. It seems there's no consistency and everyone has a different experience. Sucks.

Anyone know if it's much easier to pick it up from Uruguay (in dollars I assume).

"...on hold" and "in a few days" sound unusual to me, but then this must be a bank to bank transfer. I can process a XOOM transfer from my account and within 30 seconds get a transaction number. The money is ready for me when I arrive at the MORE money transfer office on Libertad. XOOM is simple to use and I've never had a problem in 18 months and 20 transfers.

I checked out RIA for the first time and see their current rate is 12.0932 compared XOOM at 11.8050. The transfer fee is 5.00 for $500 with RIA and $15 for $500 with XOOM. RIA has transfer agents in the capital.

As long as you have a USA account, you can withdraw dollars from the ATMs in Uruguay in several transactions. I don't know if you can wire dollars to yourself in Uruguay when you don't have a local address there.

"...on hold" and "in a few days" sound unusual to me, but then this must be a bank to bank transfer. I can process a XOOM transfer from my account and within 30 seconds get a transaction number. The money is ready for me when I arrive at the MORE money transfer office on Libertad. XOOM is simple to use and I've never had a problem in 18 months and 20 transfers.

I had done wires with Xoom before that without major problems. But for some reason that last wire was flagged for review. It was not a bank to bank transfer, but to pick up cash at a money more location. Maybe they have improved their customer service and processes since then ...

I've used Xoom for 4 years, every 2 weeks, without a problem. Ocaissionally they'll need me to show my US bank statement and on rare occaisions the transfer is stuck and I have to come back the next day. (in the modern world, Xoom would let you know about problems before you go to their offices, but we're in Argentina)

I've looked for a better option but not found one. At least with Xoom I consistently get my pesos with only small annoyances. I dont see how spending a day and incurring the costs of going to Uruguay is better.

I had done wires with Xoom before that without major problems. But for some reason that last wire was flagged for review. It was not a bank to bank transfer, but to pick up cash at a money more location. Maybe they have improved their customer service and processes since then ...

How much money were you trying to transfer? Below a certain limit (which has changed a time or two), things should go quickly without problems. Above a certain limit (which the last time I received money using Xoom, more than a year ago, was AR$10,000/month, with some yearly limit, which looks like AR$40,000 according to jantango's post), the AFIP generally gets involved, which complicates things.

Your work status may also make a difference. They have my status as retired (jubilado), which according to at least one agent at MORE, makes things easier for me (which I took to mean higher limits before having problems with the AFIP, but I'm really not sure).

How much money were you trying to transfer? Below a certain limit (which has changed a time or two), things should go quickly without problems. Above a certain limit (which the last time I received money using Xoom, more than a year ago, was AR$10,000/month, with some yearly limit, which looks like AR$40,000 according to jantango's post), the AFIP generally gets involved, which complicates things.

Your work status may also make a difference. They have my status as retired (jubilado), which according to at least one agent at MORE, makes things easier for me (which I took to mean higher limits before having problems with the AFIP, but I'm really not sure).

So then that means, as I suspect, that receiving $1000 in Argentina is not possible without the complications you mention.

If I remember it correctly it was around 600-700 usd - so not too much. Also xoom already had all my documents, tax info etc. from previous wires.

Actually the xoom story continues: A few months ago I thought I'd give it another try to see if their service had improved. When I tried to log in with my existing account, I found out that they had apparently closed it due to inactivity. No big deal I though, and opened a new account. Then I tried to add my checking account and got an error message saying that my bank account was already in their system / linked to another account. I contacted xoom customer service. Explained them the situation and asked them if they could reopen my old account or unlink my bank account. No and no. Their customer service agent basically told me to get a new bank account. I guess I could have added my debit card or one of my credit cards, but the fees are pretty high.

I checked out RIA for the first time and see their current rate is 12.0932 compared XOOM at 11.8050. The transfer fee is 5.00 for $500 with RIA and $15 for $500 with XOOM. RIA has transfer agents in the capital.

As long as you have a USA account, you can withdraw dollars from the ATMs in Uruguay in several transactions. I don't know if you can wire dollars to yourself in Uruguay when you don't have a local address there.
I have sent USD to myself in Uruguay and don't have an address there - with westernunion. I now have a bank account in Uruguay and wire from the US to it.

Just a heads up .... I´m not at all a fan of XOOM but I have found one even worse. www.saldo.com.ar STAY AWAY! Even thought hey will negotiate exchange rates with you basedon the amount of the transfer, they will only deposit into a bank account. I spent 10 minutes with them on live chat on their website and the best rate I could get out of them was still almost a peso LOWER than bank rate! LADRONES!

Back