I want to send post cards...

First of all, never send post cards without envelopes. Post cards are sold here WITH envelopes. They get lost without envelopes. Take your post cards to the most reliable PO, the CENTRAL POST OFFICE on Alem. It´s a beautiful, imposing building that has a little museum inside worth seeing. There is also a special philately section as you enter to the left of the hall. They sell all kinds of special stamps. The post office was state run when I came here. Then it was privatized and service got better. It has since been re-nationalized and prices have SOARED and service is worse. Despite this reality, a lot of people here persist in thinking that state owned services are better and help the people. Not the case with Correo Argentino.

sergio said:
First of all, never send post cards without envelopes. Post cards are sold here WITH envelopes. They get lost without envelopes. Take your post cards to the most reliable PO, the CENTRAL POST OFFICE on Alem. It´s a beautiful, imposing building that has a little museum inside worth seeing. There is also a special philately section as you enter to the left of the hall. They sell all kinds of special stamps. The post office was state run when I came here. Then it was privatized and service got better. It has since been re-nationalized and prices have SOARED and service is worse. Despite this reality, a lot of people here persist in thinking that state owned services are better and help the people. Not the case with Correo Argentino.

Is the central post office still operating? I thought it's turning to some concert place?
Also if the post cards are sealed in envelopes, i guess the post card won't get its post mark. Only the envelopes will get post-marked, that makes the post card less valuable in my opionion.

puvenlee said:
Is the central post office still operating? I thought it's turning to some concert place?
Also if the post cards are sealed in envelopes, i guess the post card won't get its post mark. Only the envelopes will get post-marked, that makes the post card less valuable in my opionion.
I have sent open postcards each week for years, not loosing a single.

The important thing is to see for yourself that the stamps are rubber-stamped. In the small correos it is not uncommon they show you the stamping or that you can do it yourself - look for a rubber stamp on the desk as it was in the small correo I used previously.

In the papelería/correo I now use, they use their own glue - not trusting what's on the stamps - and ostentatiously rubber stamp them while I watch. Honest people, like the majority of Argentinos.

Back