I wish them well, it's about time for choice.

ghost

Registered
ARGENTINA
Activists File Writ of Habeas Corpus – for Legal Abortion
By Marcela Valente
52989-20100928.jpg

Women in Argentina demonstrate for the legalisation of abortion.

Credit:Courtesy of Las Juanas

BUENOS AIRES, Sep 28, 2010 (IPS) - Heartened by the passage of a same-sex marriage law in Argentina, women's organisations in this South American country stepped up their demands for the legalisation of abortion, on the Day for the Decriminalisation of Abortion in Latin America and the Caribbean.

Some 1,000 members of the Juana Azurduy Women's Collective, better known as Las Juanas, filed a "collective and preventive" writ of habeas corpus at different courtrooms around the country, demanding that the criminalisation of abortion be declared unconstitutional.

They also asked the courts to press the legislature to bring the law that penalises abortion into line with international norms that recognise a woman's right to make decisions about her body.

"We chose the habeas corpus route because it protects people's freedom, and we are thus asking the courts, in a preventive manner, to protect us if we become pregnant and want to interrupt the pregnancy," Las Juanas activist Gabriela Sosa told IPS.

Yes I do also and there is that "Writ of Habeas Corpus" again. I hope one of our on board attornies can explain Habeas Corpus as applied to this situation. Seems unusual to me.

It's amazing to think that abortion is a legal and protected choice in Italy (despite a Pope who seemingly detests birth control as much as he detests abortion) but still not in Argentina.
My Argentine friends tell me abortion is quite easily available and can be safely done, as long as you have money and connections. However, it needs to be decriminalized and safe for all in this country.

Me, too!!! I have seen them debating this recently. It seems like the passage of gay marriage has given a wind in the sails of the activists that perhaps Argentine is ready to start passing more "progressive" and "controversial" laws.

Abortion is legal in Mexico City!

If it's legal there it should certainly be legal in Argentina (I know that is a nonsense argument but you know what I'm saying).

May all the pro-lifers find solace in war. Funny how you can be anti-abortion and at the same time gung-ho on killing actual people who, you know, breathe on their own.

JoeBlow said:
Abortion is legal in Mexico City!

If it's legal there it should certainly be legal in Argentina (I know that is a nonsense argument but you know what I'm saying).

May all the pro-lifers find solace in war. Funny how you can be anti-abortion and at the same time gung-ho on killing actual people who, you know, breathe on their own.
Yes indeed....remember "Kill a Commie for Christ"

JoeBlow said:
Funny how you can be anti-abortion and at the same time gung-ho on killing actual people who, you know, breathe on their own.

That has to be the stupidest argument yet. "Actual people who breathe on their own" are not defenseless like unborn babies and fetuses are.

It shouldn't be necessary to resort to abortion - plenty of birth control methods around, including day-after pills. There's little excuse for unwanted pregnancies.

Back