I wish them well, it's about time for choice.

JoeBlow said:
I agree (well, almost), it does sound like a stupid argument. But it's not to me. Quite the opposite. I don't think an aborted zygote feels anything.

Maybe I'm wrong. Who knows? Certainly not you or me.

And, what you are arguing here is really your opinion; but it is pretty much nonsense, if I can say that of an opinion.

<"Actual people who breathe on their own" are not defenseless like unborn babies and fetuses are.>

Millions and millions of babies per year all around the world are born into suffering. Here in Argentina (and forget about the other 100 countries on the planet who have it worse), poverty and starvation is a tremendously saddening reality.

Also, "there's litle excuse for unwanted pregnancy" is your opinion. My opinion is that a woman can do with her body, and what I consider to be a nearly unconscious, if not unconscious, being in her womb, what she pleases.

True, I stated my personal opinion. Just as you did with your "arguments", which are also just your opinions.

As for the rest of it, do you imply that abortion is going to end "poverty and starvation"? Wonderful to have discovered such a simple solution for such a terrible problem. That's the most sublime nonsense I've ever heard.

A woman has the right to do with her OWN body what she pleases: alter it with cosmetic surgery, sell it to make a living, or just put a bullet through it when life gets to be too hard. But she has no rights over the body of a fetus growing inside her. That's a separate life with rights of its own, and she has no right to destroy it.

People can dance around the issue, and disguise the unpalatable truth by calling the unborn baby a "blastocyte", a "growth", a "bunch of cells", or any other euphemism they think of, but it's a human life nevertheless.

This subject has to do with deep personal beliefs, and in my view an anonymous public forum is not the right place to discuss it - much too superficial.

SaraSara said:
As for the rest of it, do you imply that abortion is going to end "poverty and starvation"? Wonderful to have discovered such a simple solution for such a terrible problem. That's the most sublime nonsense I've ever heard.

A woman has the right to do with her OWN body what she pleases: alter it with cosmetic surgery, sell it to make a living, or just put a bullet through it when life gets to be too hard. But she has no rights over the body of a fetus growing inside her. That's a separate life with rights of its own, and she has no right to destroy it.

People can dance around the issue, and disguise the unpalatable truth by calling the unborn baby a "blastocyte", a "growth", a "bunch of cells", or any other euphemism they think of, but it's a human life nevertheless.

This subject has to do with deep personal beliefs, and in my view an anonymous public forum is not the right place to discuss it - much too superficial.

-I do think abortion can help toward bringing an end to poverty and starvation.

-It is a life, but I would say that a fetus feels much, much, much, much (x100) less than a human that has been born and is living a nightmare here with us in this realm.

-It does have to with deeep personal beliefs, but you don't have to share your opinions on abortion if you don't want.

Anyways, thanks for responding ina a civil fashion.

SaraSara said:
True, I stated my personal opinion. Just as you did with your "arguments", which are also just your opinions.

Sara
For you the the right Choice is not to abort. [I respect that] For someone else it may be the only Choice or the best Choice. But at at least they deserve a Choice. It's not really up to the government to criminalize an issue based on a moralistic valuation of human protoplasm.
Right now there are about 600,000 clandestine abortions per year in AR each of those women is a criminal, a felon and so are the doctors that performed the service.
If a women has a choice, then she can deal with her own moral issues, face her own gods and ponder fate according to her other beliefs. But there's no need to stigmatise her Choice with criminality.

"Interrupt the pregnancy" - What an outrageous euphemism for MURDER. I find it amazing that people who consider themselves humane and are usually anti death penalty can be in favor of killing babies. Who has the right to judge the quality of a human life? There is no human right more fundamental than the right to life and it is not up to you or me to decide if a human life is merited or not. I often think of Helen Keller and the remarkable life she led. Should she have been aborted? After all she was blind, deaf and mute. What could be worse? What a waste of resources to have to feed another human being.

One of the positive aspects of Argentine society is the widespread support for the right to life. I know many Argentine women who are feminist when it comes to equal rights and pro life when it comes to defense of the unborn. There is no contradiction between the two. It is a simple matter of respect for the dignity and fundamental value of every human life which no one has a right to take away. Abortion = the death penalty for infants.

sergio said:
"Interrupt the pregnancy" - What an outrageous euphemism for MURDER. I find it amazing that people who consider themselves humane and are usually anti death penalty can be in favor of killing babies. Who has the right to judge the quality of a human life? There is no human right more fundamental than the right to life and it is not up to you or me to decide if a human life is merited or not. I often think of Helen Keller and the remarkable life she led. Should she have been aborted? After all she was blind, deaf and mute. What could be worse? What a waste of resources to have to feed another human being.

One of the positive aspects of Argentine society is the widespread support for the right to life. I know many Argentine women who are feminist when it comes to equal rights and pro life when it comes to defense of the unborn. There is no contradiction between the two. It is a simple matter of respect for the dignity and fundamental value of every human life which no one has a right to take away. Abortion = the death penalty for infants.
Great....you have a right to your opinion. Why should your opinion and that of the so called pro lifers be the law of the land? By the way Argentine Society doesn't necessarily have wide spread support for the right to life. It has the Catholic Church which has managed inject it's values into legal systems inorder to support its own agenda. Which promotes over population and poverty and increased revenue for the vatican.

For those of us who believe that life begins at conception, abortion means murdering a baby. Last time I checked murder was a crime.

An abortion means killing a human being - it is not getting rid of "human protoplasm", "foreign tissue", "growth", "cystoblast", or similar euphemisms used to disguise the act of deliberately extinguishing a life. Pro-choice people like to hide behind such code words instead of using "baby" or even "fetus" - it makes the murder of a human being seem less horrible.

But besides moral and ethical considerations, abortions are totally unnecessary. There are many ways to prevent pregnancies - current birth-control methods are practically foolproof. And for those unable to plan ahead, there's the morning after pill. So, there's no excuse for abortion.

As for any unwanted babies, there are many childless couples eager to adopt a baby, kept on waiting lists for years. In fact, is so difficult to get a baby to adopt that people are sometimes driven to BUY one in an undeveloped country.

I would like to ask pro-choice people: when exactly does a fetus become human being? When it reacts to stimuli? When it sucks its thumb? When it exits the birth canal?

When does life really begin?

SaraSara said:
For those of us who believe that life begins at conception, abortion means murdering a baby.

I thought this whole life starts at conception crap went out the window when it was shown that under this view that modern birth control causes "abortions"

SaraSara said:
But she has no rights over the body of a fetus growing inside her.\

Why exactly is that fetus entitled to rights over her body?

sergio said:
Who has the right to judge the quality of a human life?

No one. But many Argentines, though not all, seem to do it all the time with Paraguayans and Bolivians. Go figure.

I guess once life exits the womb it's a whole different ball game. I must say that's pretty convenient.

The fetus is entitled to a chance to live. As to rights over her body, she should have thought of that before allowing a new life to start.

Back