Iberia Strike Am I Screwed?

Good info, so now the question is if a strike is a extraordinary circusnstance

At the moment the airlines cliam that strikes are "outside their control" and therefore they are an extraordinary circumstance.

But this is ripe for litigation.

There has been clarification recently over another aspect of this legislation ... http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/oct/23/passengers-delayed-flights-compensation-eu

So you can expect that the position of airlines over strikes will also be challenged as well. Iberia is also compromised because they are owned by the same company as owns British Airways - so could take steps to provide additional BA flights

going back to my original posting do you have 1. travel insurance or did you pay by 2.credit card? you should follow up these!

Register a claim under the EU regulations - I sent you all the details before including the link to the form needed. Then sit back and wait for the next court case.

At the moment the airlines cliam that strikes are "outside their control" and therefore they are an extraordinary circumstance. ...

There has been clarification recently over another aspect of this legislation ... http://www.guardian....compensation-eu
- problem is that re. your link the ruling says: "unless the delay is due to extraordinary circumstances outside the airline's control, such as strikes or bad weather."

Edit: This press release from 'flights delayed' http://flight-delaye...-flight-delays/ says: extraordinary circumstances (e.g. ... unannounced strikes)

Lamarque, a possible solution could be to negociate to have your flight moved to 20 December, as the strikes are annouced to fall on 17th, 18th, 19th, 21st and 29th December - but you probably have to act very very fast!

Unfortunately, with iberia you are screwed from the moment you bought your ticket... i had the same situation on the same route last year and i m still fighting for my money... and the strike which changed my flight date by 3 days (without iberia even having the courtesy of telling me) was one of the smaller problems out of the many problems i encountered while on a return flight BA <--> Frankfurt..

In my eyes (and from my dealings with lawyers, consumer protection...) iberia is one of the worst airlines. my advice, what ever you do, what ever information you get, do everything in writing, that gives u a better chance of dealing with them afterwards. A lesson i had to learn myself. dealing with their complaints department was one of the most frustrating things i have done so far. its so bad, that a bunch of monkeys pressing random buttons would be of more help.

sorry to be so negative, but i have been flying heaps in my life but they really topped everything on bad experience i ever had to deal with... (and I even had an emergency landing :) )

I hope you will be positively surprised and all goes well, but be prepared.

Good luck and safe travels

just read this post, i'm in a similar situation, my flight with a iberia was 18th december back to europe

Maybe all you guys can get together and start a protest against their protest in EZE. :huh:

At the moment the airlines cliam that strikes are "outside their control" and therefore they are an extraordinary circumstance.

But this is ripe for litigation.

There has been clarification recently over another aspect of this legislation ... http://www.guardian....compensation-eu

So you can expect that the position of airlines over strikes will also be challenged as well. Iberia is also compromised because they are owned by the same company as owns British Airways - so could take steps to provide additional BA flights

going back to my original posting do you have 1. travel insurance or did you pay by 2.credit card? you should follow up these!

Register a claim under the EU regulations - I sent you all the details before including the link to the form needed. Then sit back and wait for the next court case.
I have travel insurance and i payed the ticket with my credit card at least i will get compensation from one side or the other, i hope, I have call them but they just tell me that they will not know if i'm affected by the strike until 3 day before the fligh so they don't give me the option to change my departure date :(

- problem is that re. your link the ruling says: "unless the delay is due to extraordinary circumstances outside the airline's control, such as strikes or bad weather."

Edit: This press release from 'flights delayed' http://flight-delaye...-flight-delays/ says: extraordinary circumstances (e.g. ... unannounced strikes)

Lamarque, a possible solution could be to negociate to have your flight moved to 20 December, as the strikes are annouced to fall on 17th, 18th, 19th, 21st and 29th December - but you probably have to act very very fast!

Where did you saw that there is no strike on the 20, i readed in the newspaper that the 20 is included on the strike days.

you can keep upto dae here http://www.aviator.aero/press_releases?category_id=&region_id=&q=iberia&commit=search

Iberia unions to strike on 14th, 17th, 18th, 19th, 20th and 21st of December

Several unions representing Iberia airline employees have called for 24-hour strikes on the 14th, 17th , 18th , 19th , 20th and 21st of the current month of December.
Iberia deeply regrets the inconvenience to its customers that may be occasioned by these strikes, which it regards as strictly unnecessary, since management has offered to negotiate all outstanding issues with the unions, and it is the latter who have refused to come to the table to discuss the content and terms of the Transformation Plan, which the company considers vital to ensure Iberia’s future viability.
While awaiting the government’s decree establishing the minimum services that must be maintained on the strike days, and which will determine which specific flights will be cancelled, Iberia has enabled the telephone number +34 954983147 to provide information to concerned customers and to members of the public in Spain. Iberia’s Call Centers around the world are also available to deal with any questions related to the strike or any other matters.
Meanwhile, Iberia is preparing a contingency plan to mitigate the impact of these actions on its customers by arranging alternative flights, among other measures.
Minimum Services
Under Spanish law, when a strike is called that affects public transportation, the unions are obliged to negotiate with the companiesto establish minimum services during the strike. If no agreement is reached, the government issues a decree specifying the services that must be maintained during the strike.
Iberia is grateful to its customers for their patience and understanding.

Back