If Not Argentina Then Where?

Colombia is much safer than its reputation would have you believe. Medellin has a perfect climate, and a growing expat community. Check out areas like Envigado and Laureles for places to live. Poblado is by far the most popular place for expats in Medello, but is priced like it too. You'll have trouble making ends meet living there on 1k/month. Bogota is a bit too chilly for my taste - it's well over 8000 feet up, whereas Medellin is about 4500. I hear Bucaramanga is extremely pleasant for living, and the best bargain in Colombia. Manizales is worth checking out too, if you don't mind being away from the coast.

If you want to be on the coast, Cartagena is expensive. Santa Marta might be a better bet, and isn't terribly far from Cartagena. Anywhere on the Caribbean coast is going to be hot as hell year round. Don't even think about the Pacific coast - it's the rainest place on earth, and much of it is still FARClandia.

I love Colombia. If my business plan for BsAs and Montevideo doesn't pan out early next year, I'll probably be back there.

ghost said:
Sorry. On 14K BA is not a place to be. The way inflation is going it will be 14K per quarter before the place melts down again. But there is a completely new player in the melt down risk.....called drugs and crime. Neither element was present during or before the previous 10 melts. So this next one is going to be very different and very dangerous.

Definitely not considering B.A. except to visit. Hopefully violent crime won't be a serious issue.

gatoandaluz said:
I hear Bucaramanga is extremely pleasant for living, and the best bargain in Colombia.

That's the one I will move to if I move to Colombia. Seems to have it all.

Check out allaboutcolombia.com and poorbuthappy.com (archives only) for talk about Colombia.

What ever you decide now will be useless in 6 years time. You never know what will happen. Just keep trying to save all you can until then.

By the time you retire (at least six years from now) things will change dramatically in most of the countries that have been mentioned in this thread (including the US). Six years ago BA was a much more attractive place to retire than it is today. Property values in better areas (along with the price of many consumer goods) have just about doubled. The income requirement for temporary resident visas has (recently) almost tripled. The new income requirement of $2000 USD per month should tell you what migraciones thinks a foreigner needs to live on here right now.

I think you should forget Argentina. Prices in the provinces will not be low enough for you and you will find yourself very lonely with few people you can relate to and a low standard of living. Everything NICE in Argentina is expensive.

sergio said:
I think you should forget Argentina. Prices in the provinces will not be low enough for you and you will find yourself very lonely with few people you can relate to and a low standard of living. Everything NICE in Argentina is expensive.

I guess I was hoping everyone would say forget B.A., forget Bariloche, forget Cordoba, etc but the rest is very doable. I'll keep saving, maybe with that plus Social Security will be enough someday. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Wade

Wade K. said:
I guess I was hoping everyone would say forget B.A., forget Bariloche, forget Cordoba, etc but the rest is very doable. I'll keep saving, maybe with that plus Social Security will be enough someday. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Wade
Salta is a maybe

Back