If Not Argentina Then Where?

Colombia is unique, a lot of diversity, beautiful land scapes every where. You can find nice beaches, nice mountains, nice wild life. There is not place from south to north or east to west similar to another. People is kind and warm specially with visitors. That speculation about security is a ghost that goverments have used to move their political with the country. The reality is unimaginable for thos who haven´t been there. This country is really awsome to me.

ghost said:
Salta is a maybe

There are many places for those willing to go off the beaten path.

-- Salta is lovely, and lively too. Jujuy is a little quieter and cheaper, I believe.

-- Mendoza is expensive and crime-ridden, but nearby San Rafael is beautiful and inexpensive.

-- Tandil, in Buenos Aires, is inexpensive and quite pretty, and has the advantage of being only an hour and a half away from Mar del Plata, which is a large city with plenty of theaters and restaurants, plus some very good beaches.

Away from Palermo and Recoleta, the dollar goes a lot farther.

Three simple words:

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD MMMMMOOOORRRRRRRNNNNNINNNNG

VIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTT NAAAAAAM!!!!!!

*cue the Jimi Hendrix*

SaraSara said:
There are many places for those willing to go off the beaten path.

-- Salta is lovely, and lively too. Jujuy is a little quieter and cheaper, I believe.

-- Mendoza is expensive and crime-ridden, but nearby San Rafael is beautiful and inexpensive.

-- Tandil, in Buenos Aires, is inexpensive and quite pretty, and has the advantage of being only an hour and a half away from Mar del Plata, which is a large city with plenty of theaters and restaurants, plus some very good beaches.

Away from Palermo and Recoleta, the dollar goes a lot farther.

I think Salta would be a good choice. I like the look of Tandil but having worked in east Texas for a couple of years I'd like to avoid humidity. There's a terrific website called Skyscraper City that has thousands of pictures of every city in Argentina as well as many other countries. That's where I got the idea about San Juan, which looks like a smaller version of Mendoza. It also got me to thinking of small, touristy towns like Cafayate and Tafi del Valle. Add my savings and it'll be closer to $1800 a month, more when Social Security kicks in so I think I'll have some options. Thanks for your encouragement! I'm kind of curious as to where most expat Americans in Buenos Aires come from? Are most from major urban areas like New Yotk? Not knocking them, but I know B.A. is an urbanite's dream and I imagine to some the provinces are the equivalent of "fly over" country in the States. I doubt I'd be comfortable in a huge city, makes me nervous. Interesting to visit though. I will visit San Rafsel, have read using bikes by locals as common as using cars which is attractive.

That's New York and San Rafael, can't seem to edit with my iPod Touch.

A&A said:
Three simple words:

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD MMMMMOOOORRRRRRRNNNNNINNNNG

VIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTT NAAAAAAM!!!!!!

*cue the Jimi Hendrix*

LOL, maybe the Philippines.

Look at the whole package. If you live in a small town or rural area you probably will need a vehicle. In the big city you might pay more for rent or housing but public transportation might be available. I lived in Italy for a year, when I got there it was 1 Euro equals 90 cents, today 1 Euro is $1.40, in other words it got a lot more expensive in dollars. However living in Italy health care was extremely affordable even compared to Argentina which would offset a lot of the higher cost. As you get closer to your decision point keep an eye on the dollar versus the currency in the country you are considering. Also keep in mind that about 80% of the people that try to do this for a variety of reasons return home in a year or two.

Wade K. said:
Add my savings and it'll be closer to $1800 a month, more when Social Security kicks in so I think I'll have some options. Thanks for your encouragement!

Sorry to discourage you, but $1800 USD per month would not be enough right now to get a year-round resident visa. Six years from now the present monthly requirement of $2000 will probably increase. The days of being a "perma-tourist" are now coming to an end.:(

Wade K. said:
I know B.A. is an urbanite's dream and I imagine to some the provinces are the equivalent of "fly over" country in the States.

How could you possibly know that B. A. is an "urbanite's dream" unless you have actually lived there (with more disposable income than you will have six years from now)? :rolleyes:

I now live in "flyover" country in the south of Prov. Bs. As. and I love it. I have been told that I am the only Yankee in a town of over 75,000. There aren't any Canadians or Europeans, either.

steveinbsas said:
I now live in "flyover" country in the south of Prov. Bs. As. and I love it. I have been told that I am the only Yankee in a town of over 75,000. There aren't any Canadians or Europeans, either. :p

Wonder why you are the only expat there.

Back