If the economy gets real bad will people turn on expats ?

Miguel741

Registered
In 2001 when things went to hell there was no Airbnb or digital nomads earning in dollars then making a fortune on the exchange rate. Maybe I am paranoid but I have been coming to Buenos Aires for 15 years and I feel some anti yankee aggression in the air I've never felt before. Specifically in San Telmo the idea that San Telmo should be for Argentinos and not tourists is a sentiment I am seeing now more than ever

I don't think people will lynch Europeans and Americans in the street, but an anti-expat sentiment has been growing in LatAm and I get why, though I think it's less common here because everyone knows Argentina needs the dollars.

As we've discussed, I don't use the term as I consider myself an immigrant (and, once I have my sentence, a citizen) but if you're going to Don Julio every week, rocking an iPhone 15 Pro, speaking English, talking about how great it is to live here because everything is so cheap then you might get told to fuck off, which, considering how bad things are for most people I'd say is warranted, especially if Argentina is just a stop on your way to Colombia or Brazil or Cambodia, etc.

Maybe so but it’s still extremely current in the public conscious unlike in the UK where it’s basically never talked about.

My daughter came back from school the other day and asked me why the English were pirates.

Good example of what the kids have been learning in school here the last 40 years. I pray to God Milei can end the indoctrination

In 2001 when things went to hell there was no Airbnb or digital nomads earning in dollars then making a fortune on the exchange rate. Maybe I am paranoid but I have been coming to Buenos Aires for 15 years and I feel some anti yankee aggression in the air I've never felt before. Specifically in San Telmo the idea that San Telmo should be for Argentinos and not tourists is a sentiment I am seeing now more than ever
I've been living in San Telmo for 20 years. I don't see that at all. What are you doing to piss them off? 😁

I've been living in San Telmo for 20 years. I don't see that at all. What are you doing to piss them off? 😁
Likewise. 3 months earlier this year and for the last month. Not once have had I had any negativity for being English or not a local. Though I feel San Telmo is a bit more rough around the edges than it was at the beginning of the year

Maybe so but it’s still extremely current in the public conscious unlike in the UK where it’s basically never talked about.

My daughter came back from school the other day and asked me why the English were pirates.
How did you answer that?

Back