If the economy gets real bad will people turn on expats ?

I have lived in Argentina for many years and I don't ever remember receiving hostility for being an expat. I'm pretty low key so I don't attract a lot of attention.

If the economy gets real bad, it will probably get more dangerous in general as people will be more desperate. Robberies will most likely increase.

I agree with Quilombo that expats should take care to be considerate. If you're talking about how great it is here because it's so cheap and all the great restaurants you eat at, etc, etc, you might get some resentment from locals.

Agrentina is very expensive for locals now and will probably get even more expensive as subsidies are being removed.

My advice is to keep a low profile.

If you live in San Telmo and don't believe more and more locals aren't looking at you with hate and thinking about the US dollars you are earning and stealing their rentals you are in denial. All the best wish you well but you are living in make believe fairy land

If you live in San Telmo and don't believe more and more locals aren't looking at you with hate and thinking about the US dollars you are earning and stealing their rentals you are in denial. All the best wish you well but you are living in make believe fairy land
I haven’t had any problems here. As much as I speak anecdotally, you do too. What happened to you to form this opinion?

I don't know where you're getting this from, but I think you're a bit touched.

There are 50 apartments in my building. I know most of my neighbors. I know many people within a few blocks, I know all the people in the local shops where I do business every day, I have dozens of Argentine friends in the several bars that I go to. I'm greeted in the street by friends and neighbors every day. The bar I frequent the most has a whatsapp chat with 70 people, mostly Argentines. I know them all personally and I'm invited to all the parties and extracurricular activities of the group.

I don't get dirty looks from people. No comments. Nobody that I've come in contact with in the street or in restaurants or other places in San Telmo has said anything to me because I'm from the US.

Why don't you come by and we'll spend a day or two walking around San Telmo and you can point out to me all these invisible people who hate me? I'll take you for a couple beers and introduce you to some people. I've had far more problems here with the extranjeros than I've ever had with the Argentinos.

There are 50 apartments in my building. I know most of my neighbors. I know many people within a few blocks, I know all the people in the local shops where I do business every day, I have dozens of Argentine friends in the several bars that I go to. I'm greeted in the street by friends and neighbors every day. The bar I frequent the most has a whatsapp chat with 70 people, mostly Argentines. I know them all personally and I'm invited to all the parties and extracurricular activities of the group.

I don't get dirty looks from people. No comments. Nobody that I've come in contact with in the street or in restaurants or other places in San Telmo has said anything to me because I'm from the US.

Why don't you come by and we'll spend a day or two walking around San Telmo and you can point out to me all these invisible people who hate me? I'll take you for a couple beers and introduce you to some people. I've had far more problems here with the extranjeros than I've ever had with the Argentinos.
Would love to have a beer with you sometime in San Telmo!

The entire premise of this thread is generally ridiculous.

99.9% of locals do not and could not distinguish between an "expat" and any other foreign tourist, period.

Residents of CABA have been dealing with a high number of foreign tourists of all budgets for at least the last twenty years and the economic activity foreign tourism/ foreign transitory residents generates is very much welcomed in the neighborhoods (including San Telmo, which has been full of foreigners for a few decades now) where such visitors are present.

The east side of Avenida 9 de Julio was a zombie apocalypse from March 2020 until November 2021 when the country was closed to any foreigner without a DNI. Hundreds of businesses failed (some that had been around for 50+ years) and the economic consequences of no foreign visitors in the area were cruelly apparent.

Prejudice is real and very much alive in Argentina, i hope you never have to find out when the chips are down, all those so called argie friends will throw you under the bus.
I was here during the Falklands conflict and i was the only one with a direct family member fighting the Brits , never the less, when the time came i was the imperialist Yankee that in their eye it was the same as being a Brit.
If personal accounts are worth anything, i will tell you, don't be surprised if even your wife's argie family turns on you if things get bad enough.
Just for fun or as a social experiment , get drunk with an argie and bring up foreigners , you'll be surprised at the magnitude of prejudice existing. of course you'll be exempt because you are their ''friend'' , but as they say, you know , all the other foreigners....... not you , just the others lol
Not even in them hills of Kentucky( which they have a reputation) i've heard such blunt prejudice.
I'm glad to hear most of you never experienced this...... or maybe you are not reading it right , or perhaps it's all in my head, but certain attitudes are very inconspicuous for those of you not very deeply immersed in the culture.

Thanks for the offer! I'm actually starting 3 months no alcohol or carbs diet this week I've got fat as hell lately. Maybe in 3 months if things are bad us expats will have to band together to escape the pitchforks LOL

Yes all the Argentinians I know in my building and in the shops love me it's more of a vibe I'm getting from strangers but maybe I'm just paranoid

Also the comment above about 99 % of people not knowing if someone is foreign is completely against my experience the Argentinos and especially Brazilians I know love to talk about how they can spot a yankee / gringo from a block away. I speak Spanish with a perfect Porteño accent but people still claim they can tell in 5 seconds I'm a yankee I think it's an ego thing for them

Prejudice is real and very much alive in Argentina, i hope you never have to find out when the chips are down, all those so called argie friends will throw you under the bus.
I was here during the Falklands conflict and i was the only one with a direct family member fighting the Brits , never the less, when the time came i was the imperialist Yankee that in their eye it was the same as being a Brit.
If personal accounts are worth anything, i will tell you, don't be surprised if even your wife's argie family turns on you if things get bad enough.
Just for fun or as a social experiment , get drunk with an argie and bring up foreigners , you'll be surprised at the magnitude of prejudice existing. of course you'll be exempt because you are their ''friend'' , but as they say, you know , all the other foreigners....... not you , just the others lol
Not even in them hills of Kentucky( which they have a reputation) i've heard such blunt prejudice.
I'm glad to hear most of you never experienced this...... or maybe you are not reading it right , or perhaps it's all in my head, but certain attitudes are very inconspicuous for those of you not very deeply immersed in the culture.

Yeah if things get 2001 level bad I think a lot of naive folks in this thread are going to experience a darker side of the Argentina people they dont currently believe exists

Back