If the economy gets real bad will people turn on expats ?

Some locals that know you well will say things like "You have no worries if you have dollars" as a joke but no threats . You landlord will have no mercy with the rent increase. Your cafe waiter expects a higher tip. Etc.

Some locals that know you well will say things like "You have no worries if you have dollars" as a joke but no threats . You landlord will have no mercy with the rent increase. Your cafe waiter expects a higher tip. Etc.

I am not sure about the rent increase part. My landlord knows I am an expat, and she prefers to have someone that will pay the rent on time, and will take care of the property. My increases have been the normal, in accordance to the inflation that we have been experiencing, and that is the general feeling of a lot of landlords as well.

Last edited:
The thread "If the economy gets real bad will people turn on expats?" has turned into "If the economy gets real bad will real expats turn on fake expats?"

(As I recall, El Tigre had a unique writing style that made a lot of use of capital letters. AI could probably recreate it.)

I agree with Mckenna in some of his remarks . Scratch the thin veneer of civilty here and people can turn against you in a heartbeat . The social divides in Argentina are inmense and will get much worse soon .

Argentines are very tolerant to foreigners.

The social divide in Argentina is not on where you are from, but on whether you are poor or rich.

Food inflation just for this week must be over 20 %. I don't know how regular Argentina people cope, I look out my office windows and wonder how all these people are just walking around going about their lives god bless them. I always thought Trump never really wanted to be president but then his popularity exploded and he was suddenly in too deep to back out. I wonder if Milei is a bit the same and will regret ever becoming president if things keep going like this

Milei mentioned today that inflation is running at a rate of 1 % per day..." Which annualized is....?

Food inflation just for this week must be over 20 %. I don't know how regular Argentina people cope, I look out my office windows and wonder how all these people are just walking around going about their lives god bless them. I always thought Trump never really wanted to be president but then his popularity exploded and he was suddenly in too deep to back out. I wonder if Milei is a bit the same and will regret ever becoming president if things keep going like this
After what I saw today, I wish it were ONLY 20%

It seems like a suicide mission for whoever became president. You might be right about Milei regretting it at some point.

Back