I'm Asia From America in Argentina-- and I need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

asiaenargentina

Registered
Hello!

I'm new to the forum, but not so new to Argentina... I've been here about 6 months now. I think I know a few of the members from else where, so gusto to everyone else :) I'm in a bit of a pickle and could really use some advice so let me know if you can help:

I was renting a room from (hardly) a lady for about 2 months, and things were just not working out. She wanted me to sign some contract (completely in spanish) with an itemized list of her things, and I refused unless the list would also include my things. Of course, these were things I didn't even use, which she kept locked in her room, and the contract didn't specify this at all-- I would be equally responsible for all of it. Needless to say, she did not agree to including my things, probably for the same reasons-- but her main one was that, it is her apartment and I don't tell her to sign contracts, she tells me to sign contracts. Go figure...

So anyway, I moved out yesterday and took as much as I could, save for my food. Before I went back to collect those things, I sent her an email explaining I would be there this evening, and I would leave the keys if she had the $800 peso deposit (she initially wanted me to pay a full months rent-- but I told I wouldn't be able to give her the rest due to hard times-- and because she was clearly shady business and I was fearful of not getting it back). Her reply, "esta noche no estoy, me estoy llendo de viaje, antes de ir dejo tus cosas abajo en el pasillo". I quickly replied with something like, you better not dare, I'll be there in 5 minutes.

So, once I arrive, of course my things are already outside and I can't get the door open-- I guess she locked one of the other many, many locks. I rang the door bell once or twice (or eleventy-seven times), but to no avail... I left feeling defeated and all alone in the big world. But then I remembered you all! PLEASE, help me out! What can I do? I am not at all above using shame-- i.e. contacting her neighbors and classmates, posting flyers around the neighborhood with her name, phone number and address (but is this legal?). The police have proven themselves capable of little else than walking up and down the block, looking professional, lethal and yet completely useless. But nonetheless, I will go down tomorrow and waste my time... I mean, file a report.

Ideas? Suggestions of what I can say on a flyer for maximum shame potential? Any stories to make me feel better? Kind words of encouragement? Legal advice? ANYTHING?! If not, thanks for anyway for reading all of this :)

Sincerely,

Desperate At 2:44AM On A Friday Night
(Asia)

I understand you got your belongings ( not in a nice manner ) so I am not sure what is it that you are claiming (?) If you were owing her rent and she keeps your deposit, I think you are both even (?). There is nothing shady about signing a contract in Spanish, when that is the official language in the country (?) Signing a contract with an inventory for a furnished apt or room is customary ( I have never seen an inventory including the tenants belongings ).

I agree with Nikad. From the details you've supplied, it sounds like the landlord was presenting you with a pretty standard inventory. It is to protect them from theft and breakage. BUT that is all beside the point as it is in the past.

If you want your money, get a lawyer.

If you want your sanity, let it go.

I'm also incredibly baffled by the title of your post. What does being Asian form the US have anything to do with your situation. I mean, I get "Asian Power" as I am also a member, but the card doesn't seem to help you here.

nikad said:
I understand you got your belongings ( not in a nice manner ) so I am not sure what is it that you are claiming (?) If you were owing her rent and she keeps your deposit, I think you are both even (?). There is nothing shady about signing a contract in Spanish, when that is the official language in the country (?) Signing a contract with an inventory for a furnished apt or room is customary ( I have never seen an inventory including the tenants belongings ).

What's the landlord's name? Let the expat community know who she is, so none of us ever rent from her.

El Duderino said:
What's the landlord's name? Let the expat community know who she is, so none of us ever rent from her.

Her name is Manzar Zahedi-- she places ads on CompartoDepto. I wish I had the information of the last girl who was living there. She had problems as well, but only spoke Portuguese and very little Spanish-- so I didn't get to ask her exactly how her experience was. Hope this helps you all!

nikad said:

Well, that's another part of the problem; I had paid for the following dates-- November 16th, 2011 - December 16th 2011. Her actions would have been reasonable on December 17th, 2011-- or even December 16th, 2011 at 11:59PM-- but they were an infringement upon our agreement (and nefarious at best, to leave *food* in the middle of the floor once I told her I was arriving to pick up my deposit and give her the keys to the building and her front door-- as it was still cold once I got there minutes later-- so clearly she had only just done it to avoid having to answer for the money. NOTE: As I said before, this was after telling me that she wasn't leaving until the evening.)

So, if she had good reason for keeping the deposit, that obviously should have been explained to me-- but no such thing was ever said, and she specifically told me that the deposit would be returned on this date-- so, it was no fantasy of mine. Suddenly skipping town once it was time to collect, with no explanation, in a devious manner, says that her intentions were less than honorable. Again, she had ample opportunity to explain otherwise, particularly because we agreed that I would be leaving on that date, and I was home the day before. Obviously, she also has my cellphone number, my e-mail address, ETC.

And I think you have to read what I said about the contract again-- the problem wasn't being presented with a contract-- and actually Castellano is the official language of the country. But I do want to clarify something: I wanted to have a friend, a native Spanish speaker, come in and review the contract. She didn't want him to come over, which is fine. Once I told her what he found in the contract (among many issues), she says, and I quote, "Los colombianos no saben nada!" She also didn't provide an alternative translator, nor was she willing to make changes. Again, her belongs were not accessible to me, while I had no lock on my bedroom door-- she could have taken anything she liked if I hadn't taken my valuables with me every time I left the apartment.

Also, in 6 months, this is the first I've ever heard of a contract to rent a room-- not an entire apartment or house-- and the same is true for the native Argentines that I work and socialize with. Unfortunately, they have no idea how to handle this situation because they've never rented rooms, or been a non-citizen. So, PLEASE be careful and skeptical if presented with a contract just for renting a room, guys.

Best,

Asia

thuy.ashtango said:
I agree with Nikad. From the details you've supplied, it sounds like the landlord was presenting you with a pretty standard inventory. It is to protect them from theft and breakage. BUT that is all beside the point as it is in the past.

If you want your money, get a lawyer.

If you want your sanity, let it go.

I'm also incredibly baffled by the title of your post. What does being Asian form the US have anything to do with your situation. I mean, I get "Asian Power" as I am also a member, but the card doesn't seem to help you here.

Thanks for that. I think I covered your other points in a reply to Nikad's post. Also, the title was supposed to be clever, but not a riddle. If you still haven't guessed, Asia is my name-- not my origin.

So, no contract was ever signed? How long did you agree -- verbally or nonverbally -- to stay in the apartment? (Maybe I missed that in your original post)

did you owe her rent (not clear on this) or leave before you promised verbally?

i dont think it is worth the 800 pesos deposit to fight this, much better for your mental health to forget it. I got robbed by my ex-roommate of an entire month rent and deposit and though it sucked financially (way more than 800 pesos!) I have been much happier forgetting it rather than focusing on it for months and letting it dampen my time in this vibrant city!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back