I'm Asia From America in Argentina-- and I need help

Status
Not open for further replies.
The landlords in Buenos Aires have got to be stopped. They are nothing but greedy bitches exploiting on foreigners. You can fill out every paper to mankind but I will tell you that NOTHING will become of it. NOTHING. I contacted the AFIP, did the carta documento, 2 lawyers and Arbitraje, ombudsman for tourist.

The landlady did not show for mediation stating that she didn't want to get involved. WTF this was because of her dealings.

So in inclusion, I am very sorry to hear about what has happened to you. This will continue because no law in Argentina really gives a damn for foreigners.

If you send me a PM I will forward some of the things that I did.

cruizes said:
The landlords in Buenos Aires have got to be stopped. They are nothing but greedy bitches exploiting on foreigners. You can fill out every paper to mankind but I will tell you that NOTHING will become of it. NOTHING. I contacted the AFIP, did the carta documento, 2 lawyers and Arbitraje, ombudsman for tourist.

The landlady did not show for mediation stating that she didn't want to get involved. WTF this was because of her dealings.

So in inclusion, I am very sorry to hear about what has happened to you. This will continue because no law in Argentina really gives a damn for foreigners.

I believe this is not something against foreigners but a lack of regulation and enforcement of laws regarding sublets, and temp rentals. If you were an Argentine the same thing would have happened to you, so many people coming from other Argentine provinces get scammed you have no idea. Also now a lot of people renting apartments and places close to the beaches will be scammed ( and those are mostly Argentine ).

asiaenargentina said:
Well, that's another part of the problem; I had paid for the following dates-- November 16th, 2011 - December 16th 2011. Her actions would have been reasonable on December 17th, 2011-- or even December 16th, 2011 at 11:59PM-- but they were an infringement upon our agreement (and nefarious at best, to leave *food* in the middle of the floor once I told her I was arriving to pick up my deposit and give her the keys to the building and her front door-- as it was still cold once I got there minutes later-- so clearly she had only just done it to avoid having to answer for the money. NOTE: As I said before, this was after telling me that she wasn't leaving until the evening.)

So, if she had good reason for keeping the deposit, that obviously should have been explained to me-- but no such thing was ever said, and she specifically told me that the deposit would be returned on this date-- so, it was no fantasy of mine. Suddenly skipping town once it was time to collect, with no explanation, in a devious manner, says that her intentions were less than honorable. Again, she had ample opportunity to explain otherwise, particularly because we agreed that I would be leaving on that date, and I was home the day before. Obviously, she also has my cellphone number, my e-mail address, ETC.

And I think you have to read what I said about the contract again-- the problem wasn't being presented with a contract-- and actually Castellano is the official language of the country. But I do want to clarify something: I wanted to have a friend, a native Spanish speaker, come in and review the contract. She didn't want him to come over, which is fine. Once I told her what he found in the contract (among many issues), she says, and I quote, "Los colombianos no saben nada!" She also didn't provide an alternative translator, nor was she willing to make changes. Again, her belongs were not accessible to me, while I had no lock on my bedroom door-- she could have taken anything she liked if I hadn't taken my valuables with me every time I left the apartment.

Also, in 6 months, this is the first I've ever heard of a contract to rent a room-- not an entire apartment or house-- and the same is true for the native Argentines that I work and socialize with. Unfortunately, they have no idea how to handle this situation because they've never rented rooms, or been a non-citizen. So, PLEASE be careful and skeptical if presented with a contract just for renting a room, guys.

Best,

Asia

Well, the landlord doesn´t seem to be very transparent, but with all of the things you have explained above, I wouldn´t have rented or stayed there. She can write any contract she wants to rent a room at her place, it is up to you to sign or not. I would not sign anything I cannot read or comprehend. In all honesty, I think you will waste a lot of time and more money trying to get your 800 pesos back, sorry to hear that everything went so wrong.

I don't understand! Every time someone is screwed over by a landlord they are told "Chalk it up with experience and forget your deposit, don't waste your time" Maybe this is why there are so many problems here because no one will do anything about anything. There is still a thing called principal and what is "right or wrong". Stop sweeping everything under the rug. Nothing will ever get better in Argentina.

I have never had a problem here when renting apt's, however i think this is because whenever i view the apt if anything seems not right or they have lied or missled me about something - no matter how small, i will not rent from them.

And i totally agree with cruizes that if you never do anything when scammed or ripped off like this, it just keeps on keeping on.

If it was me i would be around there every day at weird hours (i am guessing you still have the front door keys to the building) ringer her bell and knocking on her door !!!

I too have rented 4 apartments in Buenos Aires and have received my full deposit back every single time. I rented twice from this agency www.buenosairestravelrent.com. While the apartments were not great or luxurious, they were reasonably priced and the agency was responsive to our maintenance needs. They did have a list of items in Spanish. The rental agent went over the list with me because I did not understand Spanish at that time. I just wanted to tell my side of the story because I believe there are many honest landlords out there and my experience has been totally positive.

I have had the opportunity to live with Mrs. Manzar, I had a nice experience to live with it, I found an excellent person, very friendly and correct.
ASIA HODGE: I think you should change your attitude when you live in a family home, I mean consistently respect the rules existing in cohabitation with others such as, cleaning respect, listen to music at low volume without disturbing others, talking on internet with low voluman, etc.
the lady showed me the emails ASIA commanded, as he disrespected in these two months of your stay in her home and as you leave the room so dirty and the carpet and also told me that you took some things from home. ..
Miss ASIA HODGE: as your comments that you did it, you had problems with other people living in Argentina, (with 3 owners) and 3 complaint with the police and the embassy in Argentina nortamericana, I think it's time that locks in attitude rather than criticize other and not give an incorrect reference to the other user.
In short: you Miss ASIA intended as much and not know how to respect the basic rules of cohabitation I think it would be more convenient to live in a private apartment in a family apartment and if he did that is not convenient and economically you should pay $ 1000 plus 400 or 500 dollars for cleaning.

Mr. users: comments for Miss ASIA HODGE is incorrect Miss did not meet the standards of cohabitation ..

regards
agate

400 or 500 dollars for cleaning? You cleaning a factory or a bedroom?

agata said:
I think it would be more convenient to live in a private apartment in a family apartment and if he did that is not convenient and economically you should pay $ 1000 plus 400 or 500 dollars for cleaning.

Mr. users: comments for Miss ASIA HODGE is incorrect Miss did not meet the standards of cohabitation ..

regards
agate

Alright, hold on a second there, will ya? I know inflation is bad in this country but what DA FAQ!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back