I'm In Ba And I Want To Move Here. Be My Friend!

I spent the day walking all around Palermo. It's beautiful! In fact, it may be slightly too beautiful for me. I don't think it'll be super expensive (by Chicago standards), but it seems maybe ritzier than I'm used to. I'll walk around Recoleta tomorrow and I'll keep those neighborhoods surrounding Palermo in mind.

Here's another question. I really like the traditional cities with a central square that you just wander into after walking down a street with houses, mechanics' shops and pharmacies. Mendoza is like that. Is there a neighborhood in Buenos Aires you'd recommend that has that type of feel? Palermo has such beautiful parks, but they are a little separated from the residences by huge avenues.

First of all, you need to decide if you are an uptown girl or a downtown girl. I am a downtown girl who finds neighborhoods like Belgrano and Colegiales pretty, but boring. Going out to Belgrano feels like going out to be 'burbs to me. As for Palermo, if you don't like it, that's fine. There are a lot of people out there (including myself) who didn't like living there. Don't let anyone make you feel weird for it, haha. My favorite neighborhoods to live in are San Telmo and Almagro. Look at Villa Crespo, too. I always get a certain feeling when I discover my perfect neighborhood in a new city-- a "this-is-it" feeling. It's never led me astray. Just keep exploring!

Rebecca,

You should also check out (in no particular order!): Monte Castro (very small-town-y, more middle class but maybe lacks green space?); northern Caballito-ish, near Plaza Irlanda; Caballito around Parque Centenario; and Saavedra near Parque Saavedra.

All those areas have a nice central green space. I suspect there are probably fewer furnished, temp rentals in these neighborhoods, as they aren't very touristy, but maybe if you keep your eyes peeled you'll find something. Also Villa Devoto if you're interested in that more suburban central plaza smaller-city feel. It's definitely an upper class (upper-middle class? I never know how to categorize things here) neighborhood but it's lovely and feels pretty laid-back to me. Its main drawback is that it's more of a schlep to downtown from there (via train), but if you'll be working from home that's not necessarily a big deal for you. Ditto for Saavedra.

I'd also second Almagro and Villa Crespo, though neither neighborhood has a great plaza, in my opinion. :) Oh, wait, actually that's not true -- in Crespo you've got that a small but nice (still un-fenced?) plaza on Scalabrini Ortiz and Olaya!

Back