I'm Looking To Transfer To Uba - Any Advice?

Be smart, and think about it....

My insight related to public education is this one...

I am from Argentina, I was born in Argentina and I have never lived in other country in my lifetime. If I were American I would not go to Argentina to study at University. I would like to say that Argentina education is excellent, but I cannot lie to you so badly. The public education is now very disorganized. Inside Paseo Colon public university I saw handwritten signs at the entrance door saying: CNN = Clarin, Viva Maduro!, etc.; and lot of other comments with political flavors. It did not seem to me that the education was "publica, laica y aplolitica" (public, secular and apolitical) at all. It is not a place where I would talk about politics even if I were trained in Krav Maga combat. Many of my friends that were convinced that public education was better, they now think that it is better to pay for a private education if you can.
(In the classrooms of social careers in "Filosofia y Letras" U.B.A. in Puan street the air might smell strange)
If you still decide to go Argentina choose U.B. (Universidad de Belgrano) or U.C.A. (Universidad Catolica Argentina). The private universities are not 100% private, the fees are not that cheap, but very affordable compared with the U.S. rates. If you have the alternative to pay, I think it is better to leave a free room for somebody that cannot pay for a private education.

Here is one of the protests at U.B.A. University:

I have studied in U.B. and became a Software Engineer. I still consider U.B. to be better than U.B.A. for IT areas despite of some weaknesses, but still not a considerable difference in terms of quality. At the time I have chosen where to study I did not know much about universities. I had the chance to set my own business and export software during many years. At this point it does not count where I have studied, experience will make a difference. However, If had to choose a University again related to IT. I would choose I.T.B.A.. http://www.itba.edu....CFUoS7AodiSQAFw , I think I.T.B.A. might be the best option for IT today in Argentina.

I attend one of the private universities here and couldn't be happier with that decision. I am constantly amazed by the quality of the professors and how accessible they are to students. Most are not full time academics and their CVs are really mind blowing. Of those who are full time academics, the number who are continuously publishing is surprising as well.

There is a non stop stream of amazing guest speakers, CEOs of large multinationals, ministers of economics, former presidents ,etc.

The alumni network also seems very well established considering that the university is fairly young. This is very important and is one of the main selling points for the more expensive US schools.

I had already lived here for 3 years when I decided to study here. At the time I made the decision, I had the academic qualifications, the financial means and the connections to study in an any number of excellent Universities in the US. I chose to study here because I felt like I wouldn't be sacrificing much in terms of quality of education when compared to the benefits and value.

I don't regret it for a second. It's not free, but compared to what prices are in the US, I feel like I'm getting the steal of the century.

A degree from Latin America is not worthless. Employers for the most part do not care where your degree came from. They do look at it if you went to Harvard or something like that, but what they want to know is if you can do a good job. So if you are going to get a good job in a U.S. company, a degree from the US might be better, but not necessarily or only slightly so. Employers might also be impressed if you studied in a foreign school and it in turn could give you a leg up. If you are studying anthropology, and then are going to get a job in that field in the USA or Europe, it would look very intriguing on your resume.

That said, studying at UBA is only for the brave of heart. It is a paperwork nightmare and completely disorganized.

Be smart, and think about it....

My insight related to public education is this one...

I am from Argentina, I was born in Argentina and I have never lived in other country in my lifetime. If I were American I would not go to Argentina to study at University. I would like to say that Argentina education is excellent, but I cannot lie to you so badly. The public education is now very disorganized. Inside Paseo Colon public university I saw handwritten signs at the entrance door saying: CNN = Clarin, Viva Maduro!, etc.; and lot of other comments with political flavors. It did not seem to me that the education was "publica, laica y aplolitica" (public, secular and apolitical) at all. It is not a place where I would talk about politics even if I were trained in Krav Maga combat. Many of my friends that were convinced that public education was better, they now think that it is better to pay for a private education if you can.
(In the classrooms of social careers in "Filosofia y Letras" U.B.A. in Puan street the air might smell strange)
If you still decide to go Argentina choose U.B. (Universidad de Belgrano) or U.C.A. (Universidad Catolica Argentina). The private universities are not 100% private, the fees are not that cheap, but very affordable compared with the U.S. rates. If you have the alternative to pay, I think it is better to leave a free room for somebody that cannot pay for a private education.

Here is one of the protests at U.B.A. University:

I have studied in U.B. and became a Software Engineer. I still consider U.B. to be better than U.B.A. for IT areas despite of some weaknesses, but still not a considerable difference in terms of quality. At the time I have chosen where to study I did not know much about universities. I had the chance to set my own business and export software during many years. At this point it does not count where I have studied, experience will make a difference. However, If had to choose a University again related to IT. I would choose I.T.B.A.. http://www.itba.edu....CFUoS7AodiSQAFw , I think I.T.B.A. might be the best option for IT today in Argentina.

Apolitical? who ever said it has to be apolitical? If you want to study social sciencies, UBA is by far the best option. There are pretty much no person recognised outside of UBA, maybe someone from UDESA, but UBA is pretty much the only one.

Apolitical? who ever said it has to be apolitical? If you want to study social sciencies, UBA is by far the best option. There are pretty much no person recognised outside of UBA, maybe someone from UDESA, but UBA is pretty much the o nly one.

It needs to be apolitical because it is not correct to finance a political ideology with public funds, especially at "Paseo Colon" FIUBA cede (Facultad de Ingenieria) that it is supposed to produce engineers. A 17-18 year old student go there to become an engineer; additional noise will not help them for their purpose. I will not go with flyers to the Puan University like a fruit fly to say to a 17-18 years old student: "Learn Unix, learn AJAX, or whatever thing related with another discipline. And if you do not learn this I will organize a protest to convince you....". I think this is common sense for many of us; otherwise middle class would not be paying for private education. Why the population of private education is in constant growth even when Argentina is going down hill? I do not think they choose private education because they are picky with the Universities.

Even if U.B.A. were better than Harvard, and I had 17 years old again, I would not go to U.B.A., as well as you would not choose U.B. or any other private university.

Everyone has their own criteria and will choose freely; that's it... At this point I will not change my mind about U.B.A., and you either.

Why the population of private education is in constant growth even when Argentina is going down hill? I do not think they do because they are picky with the Universities.

because the people who get an university degree it is more and more exclusive today. It used to be more massive, and more "para todos" the education in this country. And BTW a very important percentage of profesors at private university, since its a reative recent phenomena studied at UBA. Private uiversities sucked UBA prestige with premises like that "you go to study, not to become a politician". The probem is that free education needs awareness, needs people getting to know the problems, you will never reach an "apolitical" state of mind. Totally impossible. Not participating in politics is in fact an ideology, is in fact a political line.

because the people who get an university degree it is more and more exclusive today. It used to be more massive, and more "para todos" the education in this country. And BTW a very important percentage of profesors at private university, since its a reative recent phenomena studied at UBA. Private uiversities sucked UBA prestige with premises like that "you go to study, not to become a politician". The probem is that free education needs awareness, needs people getting to know the problems, you will never reach an "apolitical" state of mind. Totally impossible. Not participating in politics is in fact an ideology, is in fact a political line.

A non-technical mind is impossible too, and I will not organize a protest with such thoughts because technology is not everything in life.
U.B.A. is not letting the technical students study with that political noise. An apolitical mind is impossible, but politics should not be catching your attention every day at the entrance door.

Back