I'm Looking To Transfer To Uba - Any Advice?

A degree from Latin America is not worthless. Employers for the most part do not care where your degree came from. They do look at it if you went to Harvard or something like that, but what they want to know is if you can do a good job. So if you are going to get a good job in a U.S. company, a degree from the US might be better, but not necessarily or only slightly so. Employers might also be impressed if you studied in a foreign school and it in turn could give you a leg up. If you are studying anthropology, and then are going to get a job in that field in the USA or Europe, it would look very intriguing on your resume.

That said, studying at UBA is only for the brave of heart. It is a paperwork nightmare and completely disorganized.
Are you kidding? That UBA thingie is not worth squat when I can hire grads from Ivy and near Ivy for sub 100K $ all day long and usually less. Much less.

Im a sociologist from UBA. In social sciences, the difference with private universities is abismal. There are almost no other serious college of social sciences than UBA. UB is reasonably good in architecture, but social sciences? If it happens that you find a good proffesor, he surely is from UBA. Private universities are sucking from UBA prestige by hiring its proffesors, offering more money. But programmes are better in UBA. I suggest you go there.

@96000, just wondering, what is your opinion of UB based upon? Have you met any graduates in the Social Sciences who were not as qualified as UBA's and if so, could you explain how or give us more detail? I'm just asking because I graduated from UB a few years ago and overall I would say the level was quite high. Most of my professors were researchers or relevant people in their fields, and some of them were the actual authors of the books that were part of our syllabus and the syllabus for the same course at UBA. And class sizes after freshman year were never over 20.

Carreers in UBA last longer than other (private) universities. 5 years + what we call the CBC or Ciclo Basico Comun which works as a filter, to make the level uniform, to standarize and homogeneize people that come from different high schools with different levels, etc.
There are 6 exams and take a year. You could give the exams and skip the year. After you approve you enter to the carrer itself.
So UBA carreers last minimum 6 years, two years more than private universities. What usually happens is as people study AND work here, they take their time, so they last like 10 years. Not everyone, but it happens a lot. Longer carreers like Medicine, is very common.
Those 2+ years, in general is what gives UBA some distinction, like a more complete and inclusive grounding.

Well, in fact, the master at UBA is for those who studied at private universities and they have exactly the same programm that the ladt 2 years of the degree. So, it means that you get a degree with the level of a master, at law school at least.

What are you planing to study?

@96000, just wondering, what is your opinion of UB based upon? Have you met any graduates in the Social Sciences who were not as qualified as UBA's and if so, could you explain how or give us more detail? I'm just asking because I graduated from UB a few years ago and overall I would say the level was quite high. Most of my professors were researchers or relevant people in their fields, and some of them were the actual authors of the books that were part of our syllabus and the syllabus for the same course at UBA. And class sizes after freshman year were never over 20.

I studied at both.
While at UB they gave us to read a book written by the professor and 400 pages maximum or a few photocopies of a manual, at UBA i had to read treaties (a work that took 4/5 books of 1000 pages) and I had to read 3/4 authours on the same subject.
While at UB this manual of the theacher had not a single quote and it was more like to doctrine you, at UBA they made me read the original authors and everything was quoted.
When i was a student I was hired at the best law firm to fix what a UB lawyer was doing wrong. I had a chat with him where he asked me for important books of criminal law, he didn't want to read them, just to have a library at his office that looks like he read them.
He was fired, i competed with him being a student and i got his position and he was a lawyer.

This is my experience.

Back