Immigration For Dummies

Who knows about CUIT or working with a provisional work permit while waiting for the DNI? I did a search and found a broken link to the AFIP website.

If I have to sort through excesses of legal mumbo jumbo on the AR official pages, I will... but I would rather take the path of least resistance on this one with your help ;-)

you need to get a CID if you hv no residency as yet to buy a car.

you need to get a CID if you hv no residency as yet to buy a car.

Ceviche,

I probably won't be getting a car in AR anytime soon to be realistic. And I will obtain my residency through my student visa. I'm asking about going to ANSES after getting my precaria so that I can work legally while waiting for my DNI to come... :) Thanks for being so responsive to my posts today!

I probably won't be getting a car in AR anytime soon to be realistic. And I will obtain my residency through my student visa. I'm asking about going to ANSES after getting my precaria so that I can work legally while waiting for my DNI to come... :) Thanks for being so responsive to my posts today!

With your passport and precaria, you can get CUIL from ANSES without any problem. In the same way, you can get your CUIT from AFIP.

Just go to the closest ANSES office early. It should not take from than an hour, unless there is a long queue.

I have been married for more than 6 years to an Argentinian born, yet because our marriage certificate did not have her full name on it we had problems.

So because my son was granted her permanent DNI already I was advised to apply under him as a sponsor. It has taken months like they are just wasting time waiting for these changes to happen so they can deny my DNI.

Okay. I am told that as of THIS WEEK, you no longer get a precaria... now if you come into the country and get a visa, you are automatically a resident. Is this false? The person who told me has helped hundreds of students get residency for years. But I was taken aback by the info he gave me.

No precaria means no CUIL or CUIT, right?

By the way, can someone tell me the difference between CUIL and CUIT?

Okay. I am told that as of THIS WEEK, you no longer get a precaria... now if you come into the country and get a visa, you are automatically a resident. Is this false? The person who told me has helped hundreds of students get residency for years. But I was taken aback by the info he gave me.

By the way, can someone tell me the difference between CUIL and CUIT?

CUIL (Codigo/Clave Unico de Identificacion Laboral)
CUIT (Codigo/Clave Unico de Identificacion Tributaria)

CUIL = Workers Identification Number. You collect it from ANSES
CUIT = Individual Taxpayer Identification Number. You collect it from AFIP. I think you need a CUIT only when you want to start a business.

For any given individual, CUIL and CUIT has the same identification number. That number is generated based on his DNI or precaria. If you receive you CUIL/CUIT with your precaria, you'll need to update them once you get a DNI.

I don't know anything about automatically becoming a resident when someone enters Argentina. The immigration office normally gives you a precaria when you apply for residency, ie, temporary or permanent DNI. The idea is to make sure you have a legal Argentine document (if you don't have any already) during the time they process your application. To get a CUIL or CUIT, you need a legal document of Argentina. It could be a precaria or a DNI. I don't know if any other document is accepted at ANSES or AFIP at this moment.

What is the situation when I have two passports from difference countries - which one has to be translated etc for residency purposes?

Before you spend the time and money to have either of them "translated" I suggest you look at them to see if the terms for name, date of birth, and place of birth are also printed in Spanish. If they are (and there hasn't been a recent change at migraciones), you don't need to have your passport translated.

You will need photocopies of all pages (including the blank ones) of the passport you use,

My "best guess" is that "if you come into the country and get a visa, you are automatically a resident" is only true in the sense that you are granted residencia transitoria (aka the 90 day tourist visa) upon entry. It does not mean you have residencia temporaria and will get a DNI. Temporary residency still must be applied for at migraciones.

If they are no longer giving precarias, does that mean the papers that are submitted are reviewed and either accepted or rejected the same day or is there a gap between submitting the papers and officially receiving the DNI?

If migraciones is no longer issuing precarias and there is a delay in officially getting residency and the DNI, I don't think it would be possible to work "legally" until you have the DNI in hand.

Thanks! I will PM you if I have any questions... I should have this done already, but I've been dragging my feet because of the whole apostille requirement. I have to have it. Furthermore, it's not even been a full 5 years since my last FBI background check to obtain residency in AR. I keep wondering if it could still be valid...

The FBI background check is valid for 90 days and I think you have to ask for the certification by the State Department when you apply for the report. I don't think the US government refers to their certification of the FBI report as the Apostille, but it will be accepted by Argentine migraciones with the certification and rejected without it.

Based on recent posts I've read, migraciones presently requires a criminal background check is for any country in which you have lived for more than a total of 365 days in the past three years (I think it used to be five).

Back