Immigration For Dummies

My "best guess" is that "if you come into the country and get a visa, you are automatically a resident" is only true in the sense that you are granted residencia transitoria (aka the 90 day tourist visa) upon entry. It does not mean you have residencia temporaria and will get a DNI. Temporary residency still must be applied for at migraciones.

If they are no longer giving precarias, does that mean the papers that are submitted are reviewed and either accepted or rejected the same day or is there a gap between submitting the papers and officially receiving the DNI?

If migraciones is no longer issuing precarias and there is a delay in officially getting residency and the DNI, I don't think it would be possible to work "legally" until you have the DNI in hand.

This. This is what I think my contact was trying to explain to me. And therefore, what worries me. I was hoping to get the temporary permit with my precaria... but if the information is correct and they are no longer administering precarias, that means no work until getting a DNI... :-(

http://www.migracion...hp?noticia=3384

January 31, 2017
The President of the Nation signed Decree 70/2017 amending Law 25.871.
The decree amending the Law on Migration is now in effect.
It was published in the Official Gazette (Boletin Oficial).

Excerpt pertaining to precarious residence (residencia precaria)....as stated in the amendment of the law under "CATEGORIES, REQUIREMENTS AND TERMS OF ADMISSION".
Google translation as follows:

THE PRESIDENT
OF THE ARGENTINE NATION
IN GENERAL AGREEMENT OF MINISTERS DECREES:
ARTICLE 1 - Replace the name of CHAPTER I of TITLE II of Law No. 25.871 and its modification by the following:

"OF THE CATEGORIES, REQUIREMENTS AND TERMS OF ADMISSION". ARTICLE 2 - Replace Article 20 of Law No. 25.871 and its amendment by the following: "ARTICLE 20.- Foreigners shall be admitted to enter and remain in the country in the categories of "permanent residents", "temporary residents", or "transitory residents".
Until such time as the corresponding procedure is formalized, the Enforcement Authority may grant a "precarious residence" authorization, which will be revocable by the same, when the reasons that were taken into account for granting them are denatured. Its validity will be up to NINETY (90) calendar days, being able to be renewed until the resolution of the requested admission, and will enable its holders to stay, to leave and to reenter to the national territory, to work and study during its period of validity.

EL PRESIDENTE
DE LA NACIÓN ARGENTINA
EN ACUERDO GENERAL DE MINISTROS
DECRETA:
ARTÍCULO 1° — Sustitúyese la denominación del CAPÍTULO I del TÍTULO II de la Ley N° 25.871 y su modificatoria por la siguiente:
“DE LAS CATEGORÍAS, REQUISITOS Y PLAZOS DE ADMISIÓN”.
ARTÍCULO 2° — Sustitúyese el artículo 20 de la Ley N° 25.871 y su modificatoria por el siguiente:
“ARTÍCULO 20.- Los extranjeros serán admitidos para ingresar y permanecer en el país en las categorías de “residentes permanentes”, “residentes temporarios”, o “residentes transitorios”.
Hasta tanto se formalice el trámite correspondiente, la Autoridad de Aplicación podrá conceder una autorización de “residencia precaria”, que será revocable por la misma, cuando se desnaturalicen los motivos que se tuvieron en cuenta para su otorgamiento. Su validez será de hasta NOVENTA (90) días corridos, pudiendo ser renovables hasta la resolución de la admisión solicitada, y habilitará a sus titulares para permanecer, salir y reingresar al territorio nacional, trabajar y estudiar durante su período de vigencia.....

The extension and renewal of the precarious residence does not give rise to the right to a favorable decision regarding the admission requested, nor does it result in residence valid for the purposes of [arraigo], necessary for the obtaining of permanent residence, or for the acquisition of nationality by naturalization.

.....La extensión y renovación de la residencia precaria no genera derecho a una resolución favorable respecto de la admisión solicitada, ni resulta residencia válida a los efectos del arraigo, necesario para la obtención de la residencia permanente, o para la adquisición de la nacionalidad por naturalización.....

Before you spend the time and money to have either of them "translated" I suggest you look at them to see if the terms for name, date of birth, and place of birth are also printed in Spanish. If they are (and there hasn't been a recent change at migraciones), you don't need to have your passport translated.

You will need photocopies of all pages (including the blank ones) of the passport you use,
Thanks

http://www.migracion...hp?noticia=3384

January 31, 2017
The President of the Nation signed Decree 70/2017 amending Law 25.871.
The decree amending the Law on Migration is now in effect.
It was published in the Official Gazette (Boletin Oficial).

Excerpt pertaining to precarious residence (residencia precaria)....as stated in the amendment of the law under "CATEGORIES, REQUIREMENTS AND TERMS OF ADMISSION".
Google translation as follows:

THE PRESIDENT
OF THE ARGENTINE NATION
IN GENERAL AGREEMENT OF MINISTERS DECREES:
ARTICLE 1 - Replace the name of CHAPTER I of TITLE II of Law No. 25.871 and its modification by the following:

"OF THE CATEGORIES, REQUIREMENTS AND TERMS OF ADMISSION". ARTICLE 2 - Replace Article 20 of Law No. 25.871 and its amendment by the following: "ARTICLE 20.- Foreigners shall be admitted to enter and remain in the country in the categories of "permanent residents", "temporary residents", or "transitory residents".
Until such time as the corresponding procedure is formalized, the Enforcement Authority may grant a "precarious residence" authorization, which will be revocable by the same, when the reasons that were taken into account for granting them are denatured. Its validity will be up to NINETY (90) calendar days, being able to be renewed until the resolution of the requested admission, and will enable its holders to stay, to leave and to reenter to the national territory, to work and study during its period of validity.

EL PRESIDENTE
DE LA NACIÓN ARGENTINA
EN ACUERDO GENERAL DE MINISTROS
DECRETA:
ARTÍCULO 1° — Sustitúyese la denominación del CAPÍTULO I del TÍTULO II de la Ley N° 25.871 y su modificatoria por la siguiente:
“DE LAS CATEGORÍAS, REQUISITOS Y PLAZOS DE ADMISIÓN”.
ARTÍCULO 2° — Sustitúyese el artículo 20 de la Ley N° 25.871 y su modificatoria por el siguiente:
“ARTÍCULO 20.- Los extranjeros serán admitidos para ingresar y permanecer en el país en las categorías de “residentes permanentes”, “residentes temporarios”, o “residentes transitorios”.
Hasta tanto se formalice el trámite correspondiente, la Autoridad de Aplicación podrá conceder una autorización de “residencia precaria”, que será revocable por la misma, cuando se desnaturalicen los motivos que se tuvieron en cuenta para su otorgamiento. Su validez será de hasta NOVENTA (90) días corridos, pudiendo ser renovables hasta la resolución de la admisión solicitada, y habilitará a sus titulares para permanecer, salir y reingresar al territorio nacional, trabajar y estudiar durante su período de vigencia.....

The extension and renewal of the precarious residence does not give rise to the right to a favorable decision regarding the admission requested, nor does it result in residence valid for the purposes of [arraigo], necessary for the obtaining of permanent residence, or for the acquisition of nationality by naturalization.

.....La extensión y renovación de la residencia precaria no genera derecho a una resolución favorable respecto de la admisión solicitada, ni resulta residencia válida a los efectos del arraigo, necesario para la obtención de la residencia permanente, o para la adquisición de la nacionalidad por naturalización.....

This.
This is what I was looking for. Thanks a million.

So what does that all mean in a situation such as mine? I.E. was hoping to use my precaria (which I do not yet have) to get a temporary work permit... until DNI comes...

This.
This is what I was looking for. Thanks a million.

So what does that all mean in a situation such as mine? I.E. was hoping to use my precaria (which I do not yet have) to get a temporary work permit... until DNI comes...

It means that whoever told you there were no more precarias was wrong. If you can find someone willing to hire you (and is registered with migracioes to do so), you can begin working before your temporary residency is approved and you are issued a DNI.

It means that whoever told you there were no more precarias was wrong. If you can find someone willing to hire you (and is registered with migracioes to do so), you can begin working before your temporary residency is approved and you are issued a DNI.

Thanks, Steve. I can still get the temporary work permit then, correct?

I think it will be very hard to find someone willing to pay to sponsor me to hire me legally before I can get the work permit... one can dream, though, right? ;-)

Thanks, Steve. I can still get the temporary work permit then, correct?

I think it will be very hard to find someone willing to pay to sponsor me to hire me legally before I can get the work permit... one can dream, though, right? ;-)

The terms you are using don't apply very well to "how it works" in Argentina.

You don't actually get a work permit. If I understand correctly, having a DNI and CUIL makes it legal for an Argentine business to hire you. So does the precaria. In that case the employer does not pay to "sponsor" you by getting permissions from migraciones to hire you.

I once believed that a business had to get approval from migraciones to hire a foreigner, but I was informed that is only true in the case of someone who does not already have a DNI and was applying for temporary residency based on a job offer.

Foreigners are never granted a "work permit" that gives them the "right" to go job hunting, but if you get your temporary residency as a student you should be able to go job hunting without seeking additional permission from migraciones.

If you do find employment with the precaria, your employer will only be able to keep you on the job as long as the precaria is valid. If you don't get temporary residency and DNI as a student you will lose your "right" to work,

Thanks, Steve. I was completely unaware and must have misunderstood everything I read here. Nevertheless, I am happy to hear that as long as I have a valid precaria or DNI, I can be hired legally. That is the case, correct?

When I posted this I "'forgot" that it is not necessary for a business to be registered with migraciones to hire foreigners who already have a DNI.

If this is wrong I welcome the correction...
emo32.gif

Thanks, Steve. I was completely unaware and must have misunderstood everything I read here. Nevertheless, I am happy to hear that as long as I have a valid precaria or DNI, I can be hired legally. That is the case, correct?

I think that is true, but I hope someone else can confirm it.
emo32.gif

Back