Immigration For Dummies

I just changed my status from rentista to permanent. I did the process in January and my new DNI arrived this week, on schedule. Hooray! You need to get a turn online here http://www.migraciones.gov.ar/accesibleingles/?turno_online It is at the Migraciones building down at Antardida Argentina. It is the same place you had to go for the rentista renewals, but a different set of windows. I took along current versions of all of the documents that I had needed for the renewals, and they asked for them all, including the proof that I have continuing income. My income is one that doesn't expire, so I don't know how long the lease would need to be. But they were definitely interested in the proof that I had the income and in the fact that I have a working Argentine bank account...even though it doesn't show the money entering the country. And, of course, you need your current certificate of antecedentes showing that your criminal record is clear. Good luck.

Lacoqueta, my understanding is that initially you just need to present the same documentation as you present each year when you've successfully requested a prórroga of your temporary residency as a rentista. Now you just need to go to the Migraciones website at some point within 60 days prior to your residency's expiration and request a turno for "Residencia Cambio de Categoría." Remember also to bring a 4 x 4 photo of yourself on a white background as you did the first time you requested residency. At your turno, the DNM may request additional documentation.

(I am not a lawyer, I am not your lawyer, I don't work at the DNM, I am not an expert, caveat emptor, et cetera, et cetera)

Thanks go to BAExpats':
1. Forum for the wealth of info and rich source of content.
2. Members' generosity with their time & knowledge.
3. Team for their assistance and patience with my endless requests.

If I didn't stumble upon this Forum's site, I'd have been a perma-tourist still today. (In less than a year I got my Precaria .. I'm happy)

Major major Big Corrections and Modifications today (Special Thanks to Kettle).
I'll incorporate these in the next few days.

I've read all this, plus a lot more, and I'm still unclear on renewal of the tourist visa.

You talk about expiration and overstays, others talk about fines, but is it possible to just go down to immigration before your 90 tourist visa expires, and ask for an extension?

I've read all this, plus a lot more, and I'm still unclear on renewal of the tourist visa.

You talk about expiration and overstays, others talk about fines, but is it possible to just go down to immigration before your 90 tourist visa expires, and ask for an extension?

Difinition of a tourist could be very involved to a contortionist skills. It needs & deserves a thread of its own.

Simply put, for a non tourist:
1. It is illegal.
2. If they enforce the written law, it will be grave.

This work should be placed as permanent Sticky on the intro to the forum and we can simply adjust this one document as we would a Wiki or a single point collaborative document. Thus helping to eliminate the constant newcomer confusion questions about "How To" become a resident/citizen/perma-tourist/expat wanna be.

This work should be placed as permanent Sticky on the intro to the forum and we can simply adjust this one document as we would a Wiki or a single point collaborative document. Thus helping to eliminate the constant newcomer confusion questions about "How To" become a resident/citizen/perma-tourist/expat wanna be.

Thanks to BAExpats, I got my Precaria in less than a year. Otherwise, I'd have been a perma-tourist still today.

Hopefully it would be kept UP TO DATE and continously CORRECTED for accuracy, by members generous with their time and knowledge.

Difinition of a tourist could be very involved to a contortionist skills. It needs & deserves a thread of its own.

Simply put, for a non tourist:
1. It is illegal.
2. If they enforce the written law, it will be grave.

Umm, thanks for your help, but I don't understand your reply in relation to the question.

Are you seriously saying that for me to go to immigraciones five days before my visa expires and ask for an extension would be gravely illegal?

Back