Immigration For Dummies

This thread has been very helpful to me and very informative. However, some information is fairly old now. Does anyone have an updated list of necessary documents when applying for the DNI? I will be marrying an Argentinian shortly and just want to apply for the DNI, not the citizenship. I asked an official recently and all she said was 'no problem, no problem'. When I asked what I needed to bring, she said my passport and marriage certificate and nothing else. Seems a bit light to me.

Jenis, please learn how to quote properly, it is easy.

Doctor Rubilar, there is no need to be condescending. This was my first post in this forum and I made a mistake quoting. Your rudeness is not appreciated.

1) i do not understand you. Are you a lawyer?

If you read my post, it says "As a lawyer who has done my own citizenship" so yes Dr. Rubilar, I am indeed a lawyer. J.D. and LL.L. with Masters studies from Austral.

2) your comment about the intention of residence shows that you do not understand what are you talking about. Do not worry, most of the judges neither.

As I have found with many of your past responses, arrogance seems to be your hallmark. I do not understand why so many people put up with it, but you are in fact the one who does not understand the nuances of residency and the intent component.

Of note and as you correctly stated, many judges are not in agreement so what makes you think that you know what the criteria are ? Having read a great deal of the caselaw over the past 3 years, and with the new CC from 2015, it is obvious that the grey area in the law/cases and legal commentary is the exact reason why judges differ greatly in their decisions on this issue.

FYI the time you are abroad counts as you are here if your lawyer know how to explain it, i suggest you read the new CC that enacted the SC doctrine that states that to live here means a) to be here B ) or to come back here where your home is. it is the same concept that was use for the last 3000 years regarding ownership of sheeps. If the sheeps come back to the shepherds house every night, he owns them, otherwise they are wild.

No comment because it has nothing to do with my comments on the post.

However, there is a lot of debate and it is a fight. It is not that simple.

On Dezember 30th I was granted on 2 appeals before Supreme Court where I am debating about to apply with a few months in Argentina.So, Supreme Court is going to enact a decision on that topic.

Days before another chamber of appeals acepted a case with 3 months here while the leading case was from a member of this forum on a case in a Federal country side Court where it was accepted with 1 year.

Cases are normally acepted by first instance judges but, if rejected, the chamber confirms it.

So, it is not that simple but here in CABA you have 40% chances that you case is on if you apply before the 2nd year.

3) The requirements at the law are for getting the citizenship. The decree has requirements to apply but decrees cannot go further than the law (in theory).

4) Discretion at Court... They are normally arbitrary, sure. The work of your lawyer is to enforce your rights, the law and the bill of rights. The main issue in citizenship is that judges enforce the abolished bill of rights of 1949 that was very alike the nazi one.

5) You mentioned the immigration law regarding citizenship. There is no relationship.

I did not mention the Immigration law regarding citizenship. Read carefully Dr. Rubilar. I stated that citizenship cases are decided on the basis of caselaw, the immigration law (which at present is Ley 25.871 for the most part) and the Constitution.

6) Hard and fast rules? Explain it please.

This exp<b></b>ression in a legal context refers to a set of legal rules and/or criteria that are established by courts and/or legislation and/or (as in Argentina) a civil code and/or a nation's constitution and must be adhered to by judges until such time as a change occurs, either in a judicial decision, a law/legislation, article in a code or a constitutional amendment.

7) if you do not qualify for a residency at immigration, you probably qualify at Court for citizenship.

This is the most misleading statement you have made to date.

The factors for not qualifying for residency are unlimited and depend on the category, but not qualifying for residency does not mean "you probably qualify for citizenship".

Some factors that can disqualify a residency approval are : having a criminal record in another country, lack of or no credible documents to prove nationality, not having sufficient proof of financial resources for a pension, lack of or insufficient documents to prove property rental income, etc. and the list goes on.

I have read more than enough citizenship case decisions over the past 3 years, at all levels from first instance all the way to the Supreme Court, to be more than convinced that there is no way any lawyer can say that "if you don't qualify for residency then you probably quality for citizenship"without putting his client's interests at serious risk.

Part of our job as lawyers is to be honest with clients about their prospects for success and not to line our own pockets at their expense, especially when we know they don't have a snow ball's chance in hell of succeeding.

You quote the issues in your cases all the time but fail to mention the caratula (name) of the cases AND just so all of the posters are aware, none of these cases are protected by privacy rights here in Argentina. In fact, because this process is one that does not require a lawyer, the courts have an unwritten policy to help applicants as much as they can. I do not however endorse following the advice of court clerks as they are not lawyers and often lead you on wild goose chases.

As such, I strongly recommend NOT trying to do this process without a lawyer because procedural law here in Argentina is quite complicated and courts are often very inefficient so having a lawyer is almost a necessity if you want to have a chance at success.

Dr. Rubilar, if you wish to exchange opinions, I would ask that you do it in a way that is not insulting or condescending.

I would also respectfully request that you refrain from posting potentially misleading statements such as this one because this does a great disservice to foreigners who are looking for ways to remain here by obtaining their DNI's through the residency process or by obtaining their citizenship.

This thread has been very helpful to me and very informative. However, some information is fairly old now. Does anyone have an updated list of necessary documents when applying for the DNI? I will be marrying an Argentinian shortly and just want to apply for the DNI, not the citizenship. I asked an official recently and all she said was 'no problem, no problem'. When I asked what I needed to bring, she said my passport and marriage certificate and nothing else. Seems a bit light to me.

There is a new decree comming where marriage seems to be irrelevant.

How to quote for dummies:
You click quote, then you see this:

quote name='jenis' timestamp='1484930972' post='337582'
/quote

You copy the sentence you want to quote in between.

(I erase the [] for didactical purpouses)

If you read my post, it says "As a lawyer who has done my own citizenship" so yes Dr. Rubilar, I am indeed a lawyer. J.D. and LL.L. with Masters studies from Austral.

mmmmmmmm, I´ m sorry, my question was tricky because your reply mislead people who read it.

You have done your own case of citizenship, congratulations, you do not need a lawyer for that. Most of the immigrants who apply for citizenship does it their selves.

So, you are a lawyer from the United States of America where the legal system is based on common law while we are in a country where the legal system is not precedent based, instead, it works based on the law.

Can you please explicit your local Bar Association id number?

You also must explicit your full name and your address.

According to the law, as far as you asserted that you are a lawyer and gave legal advice, your must explicit it.

Mine is t 97 f 620 for CABA and t 107 f 451 for federal Courts of the country side.

I m Christian Demian Rubilar Panasiuk and my law firm is at Lavalle 1506 8th floor.

Of note and as you correctly stated, many judges are not in agreement so what makes you think that you know what the criteria are ? Having read a great deal of the caselaw over the past 3 years, and with the new CC from 2015, it is obvious that the grey area in the law/cases and legal commentary is the exact reason why judges differ greatly in their decisions on this issue.

Well, the answer is the following (and I apologize in advance but you put yourself in this situation):

You asserted that you were reading the precedents of the last 3 years. Nice.

I´m sorry for you because you do not realize that you confessed that you were reading a tiny part of my debate with the chamber of appeal of this city. The debate is finished by the Supreme Court, not the chamber of appeals because judges do not have the duty to follow it.

In fact, the first instance prosecutors changed their opinion recently and half of the judges of the first instance agree with me because I achieved to change their minds.

The skill of a lawyer is not only the knowledge of the law, instead, how to enforce it.

The last day of December 2 appeals before Supreme Court were granted and I have another 70 complaints before Supreme Court for appeals that were denied.

FYI we have the same citizenship law since 1869. My reply as a professional was regarding my knowledge of all the Supreme Court decision since then, plus over 50 leading cases I achieved all around the country plus all that was written plus all the precedents of the chambers of appeals of all the country, plus the reading of the debates of the Congress, the abolished Constitution of 1949, the law of the Spaniard Crown before the Revolution and so on. I´m sorry, I m a lawyer from the UBA not from the Austral.

You also confess that you do not understand how the legal system works here because the precedents are not like a law (stare decisis) in this country.

You mentioned the CC as a grey zone...I suggest you first read it and then you are going to realize how silly was your assert (no offense) because it says the same than me. I you read a CC commented by professionals, they quote the SC case I was referring. There is a CC commented by the Supreme Court Judges you can download for free.

No comment because it has nothing to do with my comments on the post.

Wrong, It has everything to do with your comment.

You asserted than traveling does not count for the 2 years.

Then you asserted that my reply has no relationship.

Well, for you information, the citizenship procedure is simple roman procedure with roman law standards like the rule of ownership of sheep because for a country, we are like sheep.

Your assert about to evidence the intention if residency evidence that you are confuse with the requierements of the US citizenship law, that standar does not exist here.

I did not mention the Immigration law regarding citizenship. Read carefully Dr. Rubilar. I stated that citizenship cases are decided on the basis of caselaw, the immigration law (which at present is Ley 25.871 for the most part) and the Constitution.

Wrong again.
The immigration law is excluded. When a Judge use the immigration law, a lawyer appeals and it is very difficult to loose under this Chamber.

We'll see what happends under the new decree that now doesn't not exist.

This exp<b></b>ression in a legal context refers to a set of legal rules and/or criteria that are established by courts and/or legislation and/or (as in Argentina) a civil code and/or a nation's constitution and must be adhered to by judges until such time as a change occurs, either in a judicial decision, a law/legislation, article in a code or a constitutional amendment.

I´m sorry. I knew what does it mean.
It is only that you cannot use that concept when you do not have stare decisis...

Back