Immigration Lines/Renewing with Kids/Kids Leaving Country with One Parent

Just wanted to share an updated story about my visit to the migraciones office:

After a few days trips to Colonia fell through I decided to take my chances in line at the immigration office for my visa renewal. Yesterday (first attempt), I arrived at 10 am and was told all the numbers had been given out for the day and I would have to come back tomorrow(today).

Today I arrived promptly at 7:30am and went to the prorrogas line. I was 4th in line at the time and after about 20 minutes of starting and restarting the computer they finally got the line moving. When I got to the front I said what I was there for and the 2 guys and 1 girl there said I could not renew my visa there. Now I don't speak perfect castellano by any means but we all understood eachother. We went back and forth for a few minutes making sure we were on the same page and I even went into "there are 3 ways to do this: leave the country, pay the fine, or come here." But I was repeatedly told that was not an option. There was no mention of an appt, etc. only that I must pay the multa(fee/tax/ticket) upon leaving. Which is now by the way 300 pesos instead of 50.

I am almost positive this isn't really the case as someone here posted they did it just last week... but after trying to ask several people and getting the multa related response I couldn't face standing in the by this point several hour long information line only to have no numbers left yet again.....

This is not a rant, just sharing my story, I should have done something about it earlier....I guess Ill have to pay the multa after all...too bad- good luck to everyone else though!

Also, if you do go (hopefully on a day with better informed employees?) this is a useful link I found explaining exactly what needs to be done:

http://sallycatway.com/?p=278

so kate let me get this straight as I have over stayed my visa. I got sick of going to Colonia..you went to immigrations and were told to pay at the airport? $300 pesos?

It seems the new guidelines have been posted at the Migraciones website:

RESIDENTE TRANSITORIO, categoría TURISTA artículo 24 inciso a de la Ley 25.871

Se considerara residente transitorio a todo extranjero que obtenga de la Dirección nacional de Migraciones, una admisión en tal carácter

TURISTA: para descanso o esparcimiento, contando con los recursos suficientes para ello.

Los plazos de admisión son de hasta TRES (3) MESES PRORROGABLES POR OTRO PERIODO SIMILAR

PRORROGA: se puede efectuar en la Dirección Nacional de Migraciones, en el horario de 8 a 14 horas, edificio 4 sector prórrogas, o bien en las delegaciones del interior de país, o bien en los pasos fronterizos habilitados por la DNM.
Requisitos:
• Pasaporte vigente o Cédula de Identidad vigente (países limítrofes).
• Tasa de renovación MERCOSUR: $ 100. NO-MERCOSUR: $ 300
• Residencia transitoria vigente *
*En el supuesto que la vigencia del visado haya expirado, NO PODRÁ PRORROGARSE TAL RESIDENCIA, a fin de hacer abandono del territorio nacional, deberá solicitar una HABILITACIÓN DE SALIDA.

HABILITACION DE SALIDA: la puede tramitar en la Dirección Nacional de Migraciones, en el horario de 8 a 20 horas, edificio 4 sector Dirección General de Movimiento Migratorio, o bien en las delegaciones del interior de país, o bien en los pasos fronterizos habilitados por la DNM.

ATENCIÓN IMPORTANTE: la misma tiene una validez de DIEZ (10) días corridos desde la fecha en que se expide tal Habilitación, durante ese periodo usted deberá hacer abandono del país, si se le venciera ese plazo, deberá solicitar una nueva Habilitación de salida y abonar nuevamente.
Requisitos:
• Pasaporte vigente, cédula de Identidad vigente o Documento Nacional de Identidad vigente de su país de origen, (esto último con los países Brasil, Bolivia, Uruguay, Paraguay, Chile, Perú, Venezuela, Ecuador y Colombia).
• Tasa de habilitación MERCOSUR: $ 100. NO-MERCOSUR: $ 300

http://www.migraciones.gov.ar/pagina4/espanol/radicacion/prorrogas_turistas_t.htm

If I read it correctly;
  • You can renew your tourist visa at Migraciones (or border crossings, airport) for $300 pesos.
  • If your 90 days have passed (tourist visa expired), you canot renew for another 90 days. You need to get an "Habilitacion de Salida" for $300 pesos as well, which basically grants you another 10 days to leave Argentina, otherwise you will have to renew this "Habilitacion" again after the 10 days and pay the fee again.

2GuysInPM said:
It seems the new guidelines have been posted at the Migraciones website:

If I read it correctly;
  • You can renew your tourist visa at Migraciones (or border crossings, airport) for $300 pesos.

• If your 90 days have passed (tourist visa expired), you canot renew for another 90 days. You need to get an "Habilitacion de Salida" for $300 pesos as well, which basically grants you another 10 days to leave Argentina, otherwise you will have to renew this "Habilitacion" again after the 10 days and pay the fee again.

It really doesn´t say that the " Habilitacion de Salida " can be renewed again if you don´t leave the country during those 10 days.

nikad said:
It really doesn´t say that the " Habilitacion de Salida " can be renewed again if you don´t leave the country during those 10 days.

It does not say "renew" per se, but once expired if you did not leave the county in those 10 days, then you have to get it again and pay the fine again:

ATENCIÓN IMPORTANTE: la misma tiene una validez de DIEZ (10) días corridos desde la fecha en que se expide tal Habilitación, durante ese periodo usted deberá hacer abandono del país, si se le venciera ese plazo, deberá solicitar una nueva Habilitación de salida y abonar nuevamente.

So, does this mean that if my tourist visa is expired I can't leave the country and get another 90 days when I come back in? Or do I have to pay for the 10 days, leave the country and then I'll get another 90? Or that things have stayed the same and I can just leave and get another 90? I'm very confused and now very worried.

Katie said:
So, does this mean that if my tourist visa is expired I can't leave the country and get another 90 days when I come back in? Or do I have to pay for the 10 days, leave the country and then I'll get another 90? Or that things have stayed the same and I can just leave and get another 90? I'm very confused and now very worried.

Katie, I think it means that if you let your tourist visa expire, you will pay $300 pesos to leave the country (you will have 10 days to leave, but if you are paying this fee as you leave the country then it doesnt matter).

Once you come back to AR, you should get another tourist stamp and start a new 90 day cycle. This return scenario is not described on that page; but it is the way it has been, and I don't think it has changed.

Costwise, with an expired visa, it will be $300 pesos plus your trip costs out and back to AR to renew for another 90 days. If you renew your tourist visa before it expires; you will only pay the $300 pesos for a renewal but you will not have to make the trip out and back to AR.

I hope I am getting this right. I have residency, so I don't have to make the visa runs. But hopefully someone who is in your situation (expired tourist visa) and has made the trip recently can confirm or correct this.

2Guys- That's what I figured, though any change in immigration procedure makes me nervous :). I think your assessment of it is correct; I also had an Argentine friend read over the info and she seemed to think that there would be no trouble re-entering the country once the fee is payed (as she put it "The only thing that is important here is money. There's always a way to get what you want if you pay.").

So it sounds like all they did was slap a 10-day window on people with expired visas in hopes of getting more money if anyone fails to leave the country within those 10 days. Why am I not surprised?;)

Katie said:
"The only thing that is important here is money. There's always a way to get what you want if you pay.").

Is there any doubt?

Back