Immigration office in Buenos Aires

Thanks to RWS for the correction about the other languages. I simply forgot about Portuguese. French and Dutch never crossed my mind, and I've never heard of Guarani. The position taken in my previous post remains the same, of course. This does bring up another question: Do any of the Brazilians who emigrate to Argentina think that the folks at Argentine migraciones should also speak Portuguese?

One of my porteña friends teaches Spanish (what else is new?) -- to Brazilians! She's fluent in Portuguese herself, thanks to an eight-year (if I remember correctly) residence near São Paolo, but -- and here's the kicker -- she tells me that a majority of Brazilians (well, at least of the mediocrely educated ones) believe that the two languages are so similar that a Brazilian need only pronounce his own native tongue with an Argentine accent and a few Spanish endings in order to be understood. This "Spanglish of the Plata" even has its own name, "Portuñol".

soulskier said:
So might argue it is easier to hire a company to do all the work for you. Sure it costs, but in theory it gets done.
Can someone give me the name of a company who helps out/does the work? My husband is going to BA in june to arrange papers, he doesn't speak spanish (yet) and he has very little time... (Reading this forum I am sure it will be hell for him). When I come with the kids this summer (winter there) we want everything to be arranged (probably impossible but we keep our hopes up :cool: ) : my daughter needs DNI to enter school...!

katti said:
Can someone give me the name of a company who helps out/does the work? My husband is going to BA in june to arrange papers, he doesn't speak spanish (yet) and he has very little time... (Reading this forum I am sure it will be hell for him). When I come with the kids this summer (winter there) we want everything to be arranged (probably impossible but we keep our hopes up :cool: ) : my daughter needs DNI to enter school...!

We used ARCA (http://www.argentinaresidency.com). They are probably the most expensive, but have a money back ganrantee. We are very happy with their services and continue to use them. With them, we were able to secure our residency visas and DNIs in just months.

RWS said:
Clearly, I completely agree with "Steve in Bs.As." One niggle, though: despite Spanish's still being the predominant language in Latin America, it and English don't constitute the full list of official languages for nations south of the Rio Grande: we must add Portuguese (the official language of Brazil), Dutch (Surinam), French (French Guiana), Guarani (Paraguay, jointly with Spanish), and -- at least if Evo Morales should have his way -- several others.

Yet another in complete agreement. Personally I find it extemely difficult to learn and speak spanish, but that does not change my view.
I think that it is rude to go to another country and expect every one else to speak your language (even if it is English).
In Britain we have more interpreters than police in the police stations, more interpretors than nurses, the list goes on, just because no one in UK government has the balls to stand up and say "if you come here speak the language"
So if you go to imigraciones, learn the lingo or get your own interpretor.
Have the decency to realise, this is a Spanish speaking country, and you are the foriegner. If someone does not speak English they are not ignorant, they just have skills in other areas.

markus said:
I totally disagree. We all know that English is the most widely-spoken language in the world. So, I think the guys at migraciones should be required to speak it. This is NOT some local shop we're talking about. It is MIGRACIONES, which is a public office specifically aimed at helping foreigners. I'm sure their employees are intelligent enough to realize this... They know their job is about dealing with foreigners, so why not show a little more tolerance?

Markus,

All I can say is that with an attitude like that you must be from the U.S. The sooner you lose the attitude the better off you will be. In the States you can get help in whatever language you choose. The same could be said for Europe.

I don't know how long you have been in Buenos Aires but my guess is not that long. There really is a very small pool of foreigners/expats in Argentina whose only language is English. The majority of foreigners that are arriving in Argentina are from Bolivia, Paraguay, and Peru (and they all speak Spanish).

Hire someone to help you. Guaranteed it will add years to your life!

markus said:
I totally disagree. We all know that English is the most widely-spoken language in the world. So, I think the guys at migraciones should be required to speak it. This is NOT some local shop we're talking about. It is MIGRACIONES, which is a public office specifically aimed at helping foreigners. I'm sure their employees are intelligent enough to realize this... They know their job is about dealing with foreigners, so why not show a little more tolerance?

Actually there are more people in the world who speak Mandarin than any other language, perhaps everyone should be compelled to learn Mandarin, at least when the Chinese take over the world we will all be able to talk to them.

Recoleta Carolina said:
Originally Posted by markus:

Reply Posted by Recoleta Carolina:

Markus,

All I can say is that with an attitude like that you must be from the U.S. The sooner you lose the attitude the better off you will be. In the States you can get help in whatever language you choose. The same could be said for Europe.

I don't know how long you have been in Buenos Aires but my guess is not that long. There really is a very small pool of foreigners/expats in Argentina whose only language is English. The majority of foreigners that are arriving in Argentina are from Bolivia, Paraguay, and Peru (and they all speak Spanish).

Hire someone to help you. Guaranteed it will add years to your life!

RC, That was Marcus last post on this forum and it was the last day he visited the site. I doubt we shall hear from him again...

I see that getting a DNI or residency not a easy task. I am using a new service to try to get my DNI. I had a friend get his but he is from Europe which is regulation are different and easier. So I am going thru the process and if you are interested I will update my progress. If this all works out then I will give you the name of the service. Email if you are interested in a DNI in 30 days that is what they promised me. You will go thru the legal process and you have to get all you documents. Gary

Has anyone (EXCEPT THOSE FEW WHO ARE MARRIED TO OR THE PARENT OF AN ARGENTINE) actually employed any "immigration service" or "immigration attorney" to (successfully) obtain a resident visa and DNI in 60 days (mas o menos)?

If so, did you really have to qualify for the visa...

or just pay for it?

Back