Impact of currency collapse

hav
The two major retirement communities in Mexico are Ajijic near Guadalajara and San Miguel d'Allende. I think these are much nicer than the capital of Mexico. San Miguel is lovely with a very supportive and large expat community. There isn't that sort of tight knit group in Buenos Aires. Few foreigners without family connections here choose to retire in Argentina. It's unstable and unpredictable. There is a lot on this website about renting flats (prices will be in dollars for non-locals who cannot provide a guarantor) and medical insurance. Given the current crisis, your father can expect a great deal of economic volatility, constantly changing prices, constant demonstrations, protests and strikes and an increase in crime. It was very unpleasant during the 2001 economic crisis and default. He can come down and rent for awhile and see for himself. Argentina produces most of its own food. I expect vegetables to be available at all times.
Mexico City has been my favorite place in the world for many years. I briefly tried to live to the North of MC, in San MIguel d'Allende, and found it to be quite pleasant for foreigners except for high prices and the dry dusty climate. I have travelled to Mexico several times a year for decades but no longer due to the spreading violence. Mexico City and Yucatan were safe until recently but are now infected with violence. This is causing an outflow of expats.

For buying real State, after the crash it is going to be a lot cheaper.
There is not going to be shortage on vegetables, we produce them not like Venezuela that has to import almost everything.
The cost of health service is in pesos, so, not big deal.
The cost of living here is going to be a lot cheaper. Having a pention in usd he is not going to have issues besides how to get the money. Perhaps he will have to travel to Uruguay to get usd cash.
Imported food and drinks are going to be banned for sure.

Africa is even cheaper, but just cheap doesn't cut it for me.

Holidaying here and residing here permanently are two different things. I'd recommend he comes with a view to staying as long as he's allowed to without needing to go through all the formalities he will have to go through if staying on a permanent basis.
That way he can just pack his suitcase and leave if it's not going as well as he thought it would. Him being vegetarian won't be a problem no matter what happens to the economy. Good luck to him whatever he decides....

I mean that a place being cheap or not is just one thing to factor: health services, safety, stability, infrastructure, entertainment are also important to balance price vs quality of living.

Well indeed.
Everything has to be taken into consideration especially the older you get.

Why Argentina for a retiree when Portugal and Spain have so much to offer and a FIRST WORLD infrastructure? And easy access to the rest of Europe. Argentina is fraught with problems and just too complicated.

Why Argentina for a retiree when Portugal and Spain have so much to offer and a FIRST WORLD infrastructure? And easy access to the rest of Europe. Argentina is fraught with problems and just too complicated.[/QUOTE

If the person in question has no family links to the EU then he'll need to be pretty wealthy to retire there legally. One of the good things about Argentina is that its fairly easy to meet the residency requirements ..but then I guess we know why that is..

Back