Impact of currency collapse

I researched Spain and it wasn't easy or simple. Of course the more money you can throw at it the easier it becomes. Portugal, on the other hand, is much easier to arrange.

Then I guess Portugal would be the better option.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018...s-argentina-stop-using-funds-support-currency

Argentina will certainly get cheaper but I see a lot of social problems and mass unrest I would choose other destinations to make my move. Have you looked at Peru its the most stable economy of South America and it offers cheap prices with excellent infraestructura. I would look at Arequipa Peru a excellent city with great climate.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018...s-argentina-stop-using-funds-support-currency

Argentina will certainly get cheaper but I see a lot of social problems and mass unrest I would choose other destinations to make my move. Have you looked at Peru its the most stable economy of South America and it offers cheap prices with excellent infraestructura. I would look at Arequipa Peru a excellent city with great climate.

A while back you recommended another Peruvian city, what was the name of that? Any other places you recommend in Peru or Latin America?

I like Iquitos in the Amazon .This is a amazing city very popular with expats due to its tropical climate, beautiful nature , and the best food of Peru. This city of half a million people is very vibrant and has the largest market of South America the belen market and lots of attractions to enjoy . The malecon the boulevard along the river is excellent from late afternoon to the morning with its buskers, street sellers, chic restaurants and great ambience . The city is not sophisticated like Buenos Aires but has a natural charm with very friendly warm people , reasonably safe , and great nightlife.

Arequipa Peru is a traditional conservative city with very proud people who feel that they should be a seperate republic . It has a great spring like climate all year round and its architecture is glorious being low rise and a classic white . This is a cultured city with traditional music being the best of South America .
The historic centre is unesco world heritage protected and it has beautiful plazas many with superb views of the important Volcano Misti.
I found the expat community there very happy with their lives there and Arequipa is vastly superior to the other expat haven of Cuenca in Ecuador .

Last edited:

Have you been there? 95% of Lima City is alike the Villa 31.

Buenos Aires has a lot of slums as well. In the upmarket neighbourhoods of Lima and Arequipa there is absolutely no difference to Recolela or Belgrano and Peru is safer than Argentina.

Last edited:
I researched Spain and it wasn't easy or simple. Of course the more money you can throw at it the easier it becomes. Portugal, on the other hand, is much easier to arrange.
I just returned from Spain and Portugal and both Lisboa and Porto are very run down and while charming in certain areas, don't have a European feel at all, more like Latin American one. Most goods are way pricier than in Spain and there is way less choice of everything including cloth, electrodomésticos, etc. Food is not bad but not cheaper and not as much varied as in Spain - not even in smaller places like SIntra, may be in some small villages, but who wants to live there. And culturally it's not anywhere in Spain's league. The only thing that might be cheaper is rent / property, but overall the country's economy is in a very bad shape and so far there is no sign of improvement...People are friendly but rather keep to themselves, not as engaging as spaniards. I'd go spend a few good months there before making a decision to move permanently.

The poverty in Peru is not as violent as it can be in Argentina where you would never enter in most villas in Buenos Aires and the province. The poor of Peru do the best they can with little and most of them are hard working and dignified people. Argentinian people have unfairly demonised Peruvian people due to a few gangs of ruffians in Bajo Flores.

Back