Importing A Car Via Uruguay?

I imported "Bertha" , my 1988 BMW 635 CSI into Argentina without any problems whatsoever. No hidden charges , aduana was easy. Despechate was honest to a fault.

Hi, sorry I didn't read all these posts so if someone else answered, I apologize.

Unless he is a returning Uruguayan (and unless something has changed) he cannot import a car to Uruguay. They will charge him so much he will wish he had bought it here several times over. I know the rules say you can, but the reality is the people in charge of importing stuff say no and they have the power to make it stick. This is common knowledge in Uruguay. If he were to drive down as a tourist and was passing through, possibly he could do that. People from Argentina actually live in Uruguay with their Argentina cars but they park them as much as possible, so the tag does not show to the street. So I know you can drive in (but I'm not sure about from the States even). I know a man in Uruguay who brought his Mercedes in,from New York two years ago, which is how I found out they make exceptions for returning Uruguayans. Having said that, things do change in these countries but I have not heard of a change. Ajoknoblauch is right (I did read his or her post.)

http://www.dnm.minterior.gub.uy/documentos/Acuerdo%20sobre%20Transito%20Vecinal%20Fronterizo.pdf

A friend of mine is a permatourist and has got a pretty nice car in Europe which he'd like to import to BA (for own use). Obviously the rates and toll here is absurd, but we we're thinking - maybe import it to Uruguay, register it there and come to Argentina as a tourist from Uruguay gonna be a nice and cheap solution? He's living as a tourist here anyway - It's legal to visit Argentina as a tourist with your own car, registered somewhere else, isn't it?

What do you think? Has anyone tried it?
Another thing to keep in mind when importing a car is the availability of spare parts in Argentina. If the same brand/model is common here then there should be no problem. But I had an imported car (temporary tourist import from Chile) here for a while and had a really hard time whenever something broke. Even though they sell the brand here- they had often no parts for my car available or alternatively they needed to be shipped here and were super expensive. I ended up selling the car in Chile and getting a car that is common in Argentina.

Another thing to keep in mind when importing a car is the availability of spare parts in Argentina. If the same brand/model is common here then there should be no problem. But I had an imported car (temporary tourist import from Chile) here for a while and had a really hard time whenever something broke. Even though they sell the brand here- they had often no parts for my car available or alternatively they needed to be shipped here and were super expensive. I ended up selling the car in Chile and getting a car that is common in Argentina.

Very wise decision , if an import car breaks in a Provincia and ends in a small mechanic shop....! forget about obtaining spare parts, you may spend weeks (your vacation) at that location..!!

After reading all this I'm glad I left my car in the States! ONE of the benefits of living in BA for me, although I realize it's not an option for others!
I don't know anything about this here, but for traveling might it be an option to use a rental car and avoid these hassles? I have no idea what the costs are having never rented one here. But I've done weekly rentals in the states when traveling.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Sdiz.usa Expat Life 20
HenryNisental Expat Life 15
Patagone Expat Life 13
Tilda Expat Life 8
P Expat Life 5
Back