importing a car

When I left the US, I left my 1998 Mustang, black-on-black convertible, 5.0 liter engine and racing tires with my oldest son. Needless to say, he's quite happy with it (still).

I now drive a 1.4 liter 4 door w/hatchback Megane, 13 years old, that I paid cash for almost 5 years ago. It's a relatively large car for not being an SUV (which is why I bought it) and a helluva lot cheaper than a new car would have been of the same size, much less bigger.

I mention this because I wouldn't even have dreamed of bringing my Mustang down here, nor any other car that was manufactured there, because of the difficulty and expense of importing, not to mention trying to get parts. Even if the "same" car is made (i.e., assembled) here, I don't think it's a guarantee that the same parts are going to fit your car made in the Sates (or Europe, I suppose) in all cases. If it's imported and sold here (i.e., not assembled here), that's a bigger problem finding imported spare parts now.

Besides that, I don't know that I would want too nice of a car here. Traffic's crazy, the drivers are crazy and I'd be spending half my time worried about getting it scratched or dented...

You become a target if you drive a nice car. Parts can be brought in , or shipped if you know a good freight forwarder. Cuba has been keeping old cars on the road without parts for half a century. Cars here are crazy expensive. Again , if you do your research , and the costs justify it , then it is not so bad. If you sell it after one or two years , whatever the law is now , then you can make a profit. Depends on your status . You could have doubled or more your money on the Mustang. And give up the Megane. Driving here is a big problem , as well as parking. Choose wisely. Agree domestic cars have better parts availability.

Thanks for the replies. I will go to AFIP when I have time to ask. I'm also interested in obtaining money for crossing the border to brazil and paraguay so I'll update this thread when I have made progress!

Buying a 'nice' car here is defiantly to be avoided. My MGB is safely back home and will be staying there! It's the misses who wants a car for the weekend but of course, I have to drive and pay for it! I have DNI etc and am also looking into shipping to URG but I think you need residency there to avoid the tax. The biggest concern about here that I have is IF the shipment is held up and when I say IF, I mean the extortion that may take place to allow the car to be released.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Sdiz.usa Expat Life 20
HenryNisental Expat Life 15
Patagone Expat Life 13
Tilda Expat Life 8
P Expat Life 5
Back