Importing a TV from USA to Argentina

beyond the logistical nightmare of doing this..

you need to check the voltage requirement of the TV. make sure it functions on 220v, otherwise you need to buy a suitable transformer to use it. my TVs i brought here didn't work on 220.

i have also heard of people having problems with the electric frequency too, although for me i've not had any issue and mine work perfect with the transformers.

are you even sure you will save money doing it this way? what happens if it's damaged in transit?
The number one reason why I thought of bringing one from the USA is the quality of the picture. I have a 42 inch that I bought in BA for years ago, and the picture quality is terrible when compared to what one sees in the USA. About one year ago, I bought a 72 inch in the USA, and they are fabulous. I had a 55 inch but the 72 are amazing. I don't know if the picture quality here in BA is any good, but I will go find out. Thank you too for your suggestion.

Unless you are a sucker for headaches, avoid importing.

Technical aspects to consider are voltage (110-220), AC/DC, 50Hz-60Hz, refresh rate supported and required, parts, warranty and support.

There were a bunch of small companies importing TV and A/V equipment on their own that might have what you want but then again you are on your own if things turn sour.

Regarding picture quality, it the refresh rate that makes the difference. Regular quality here is 60Hz. The ones that look great are above 100~120Hz. Most people can't tell the difference once you get past 120Hz.

Best way to tell is looking at an action packed movie where the image does not fragment. The TV CPU must be up to par with the task, not the rule with cheap UHD/4-8k TVs.

Find you model and look at internet reviews before purchase. Here or abroad.

Iz

Unless you are a sucker for headaches, avoid importing.

Technical aspects to consider are voltage (110-220), AC/DC, 50Hz-60Hz, refresh rate supported and required, parts, warranty and support.

There were a bunch of small companies importing TV and A/V equipment on their own that might have what you want but then again you are on your own if things turn sour.

Regarding picture quality, it the refresh rate that makes the difference. Regular quality here is 60Hz. The ones that look great are above 100~120Hz. Most people can't tell the difference once you get past 120Hz.

Best way to tell is looking at an action packed movie where the image does not fragment. The TV CPU must be up to par with the task, not the rule with cheap UHD/4-8k TVs.

Find you model and look at internet reviews before purchase. Here or abroad.

Iz
Thank you for your excellent review. I will take not of all your suggestions.

The room is a typical bedroom here, rather small but the wall is about 12 ft away from the viewing area, so I think that's OK. I found a 75 inch with the refresh rate that someone recommended. It's over $4,000 dollars. I can buy one in the States for less than half that amount. Wow, I will keep looking.
Thanks all for the input.

All of my tvs from the states were dual voltage. It says only 110 on the back of the TV but it you take the panel off and look at the power board they are marked for dual voltage.

I run all of mine directly from the wall through a simple outlet prong adaptor. A couple of them I just bent the prongs into a slanted orientation and plugged them in. Did the same with my lamps (make sure you change the bulb to a 220 lamp).

Caveat Emptor: Keep in mind that you can only bring as much as $50 until all import taxes and a bunch of fantasies apply.
That means they use at least the bill if they can't find MSRP + freight + custom officer fees , etc before custom taxes and other internal taxes are applied bringing the total amount close to the $4k you mentioned.

Everything in the burocratic universe is used to discourage the individual to import stuff for private use so the registeref importers and the State can make a ton of cash.

And then, cherry on top, they might apply the luxury tax to ruin your day.

Iz

Caveat Emptor: Keep in mind that you can only bring as much as $50 until all import taxes and a bunch of fantasies apply.
That means they use at least the bill if they can't find MSRP + freight + custom officer fees , etc before custom taxes and other internal taxes are applied bringing the total amount close to the $4k you mentioned.

Everything in the burocratic universe is used to discourage the individual to import stuff for private use so the registeref importers and the State can make a ton of cash.

And then, cherry on top, they might apply the luxury tax to ruin your day.

Iz
Did you just drop a zero from that figure or have they snuck a change I didn't notice yet? Not that it makes much difference when bringing in a TV the size of a house!

The room is a typical bedroom here, rather small but the wall is about 12 ft away from the viewing area, so I think that's OK. I found a 75 inch with the refresh rate that someone recommended. It's over $4,000 dollars. I can buy one in the States for less than half that amount. Wow, I will keep looking.
Thanks all for the input.
Do yourself a favor and read up on projection tvs.

All of my tvs from the states were dual voltage. It says only 110 on the back of the TV but it you take the panel off and look at the power board they are marked for dual voltage.

I run all of mine directly from the wall through a simple outlet prong adaptor. A couple of them I just bent the prongs into a slanted orientation and plugged them in. Did the same with my lamps (make sure you change the bulb to a 220 lamp).
Most interesting. I will check that out when I return to the USA. Thanks for your tip.

Back