Importing a TV from USA to Argentina

Caveat Emptor: Keep in mind that you can only bring as much as $50 until all import taxes and a bunch of fantasies apply.
That means they use at least the bill if they can't find MSRP + freight + custom officer fees , etc before custom taxes and other internal taxes are applied bringing the total amount close to the $4k you mentioned.

Everything in the burocratic universe is used to discourage the individual to import stuff for private use so the registeref importers and the State can make a ton of cash.

And then, cherry on top, they might apply the luxury tax to ruin your day.

Iz
You have made a good point. Thank you.

It's not specified anywhere if you'll be bringing the item yourself in an incoming flight - $500 tax free - or simply buying it abroad an importing it under the regular Joe franchise -$50 tax free, no travel involved.

Try Tiendamia.com. There you can choose items at Best Buy, Amazon and eBay priced a d see what the final cost is delivered at home. I do not know if and when the luxury tax is added to your purchase. Might depend on method of payement (hard currency exiting or not the country) and your residency status.
Tried it with a $700 -US price- Yamaha A/V receiver locally out of stock and the price quote was noticeably more expensive than buying locally (if and when they restock). Some regularly electronic imports use Official dollar price.

Iz

Most interesting. I will check that out when I return to the USA. Thanks for your tip.

If you think about it, it makes sense. Why would Samsung make one TV for one market and one for another market? There's a reason why the chord is detachable from the TV. They make the TV and just shove whatever chord is needed for the market it's going to.

If you think about it, it makes sense. Why would Samsung make one TV for one market and one for another market? There's a reason why the chord is detachable from the TV. They make the TV and just shove whatever chord is needed for the market it's going to.
J, You are right. These global electronic providers make a lot of effort to streamline their manufacturing process and minimize dis similar components in an effort to have a highly efficient manufacturing and distribution process. Twin voltage components and the ability to use a different electric plugs via a detachable cord is an obvious example of making a device or product that can be used in literally any country regardless of voltage and plug configuration.

I still firmly believe that companies have different quality products depending on their destination. A Nike shirt bought in Argentina is not the same quality as one bought in Europe or the USA - I know this because I have tried. Same goes for shoes etc

You're not going to get bleeding edge technology here as electronics in Argentina tend to be a year or two behind. However, the problems of importing are just too many to make it worthwhile. You'll find a perfectly good large screen TV here and will probably save money on the cost of the product too.

If you look closely, most electronics shipped as LA (Latin America) models-are neutered versions of their rest of the world counterparts. Lower or older GPU or CPU, less RAM, slower older technology hard drives, buses, etc. Only the prices are way up.

Compare specs and you'll find the differences. Also, check reviews. While we are charged premium prices, what gets imported usually is in the mid to lower tier of the product line.If not on it's way out.

Iz

J, You are right. These global electronic providers make a lot of effort to streamline their manufacturing process and minimize dis similar components in an effort to have a highly efficient manufacturing and distribution process. Twin voltage components and the ability to use a different electric plugs via a detachable cord is an obvious example of making a device or product that can be used in literally any country regardless of voltage and plug configuration.
And yet manufacturers do make different models for different markets, as an example compare the Philips 50PUG6654/78 (Brazil) and 50PUD6654/77 (Argentina). I'm not sure what the differences are, both are on sale here on Mercadolibre, the Argentinian model seems to support more video formats, maybe the ISDB-T decoders are different. I got the Argentian model, there's a risk of being bitten by some unexpected incompatibility if you buy a model for another market.

The room is a typical bedroom here, rather small but the wall is about 12 ft away from the viewing area, so I think that's OK. I found a 75 inch with the refresh rate that someone recommended. It's over $4,000 dollars. I can buy one in the States for less than half that amount. Wow, I will keep looking.
Thanks all for the input.
If it cost over 1.000 usd you are going to need a despachante de aduanas plus to pay 100% tax. Forget it.

If you look closely, most electronics shipped as LA (Latin America) models-are neutered versions of their rest of the world counterparts. Lower or older GPU or CPU, less RAM, slower older technology hard drives, buses, etc. Only the prices are way up.

Compare specs and you'll find the differences. Also, check reviews. While we are charged premium prices, what gets imported usually is in the mid to lower tier of the product line.If not on it's way out.

Iz
100% right, well said. I was recently looking for a new laptop and was surprised by just how poor the choices are here. I am too ashamed to say what I eventually paid 100,000 pesos for. Let's just say it is nowhere near what I could get in the UK for less money.

Back