Importing a TV from USA to Argentina

Yes, there are new different incompatible digital TV standards now, DVB-T is used in Europe, ISDB-T is used in South America and Japan, and I'm not sure what's used in the US. The old incompatible analogue TV standards like PAL, NTSC and SECAM are basically gone now, most countries I believe have moved to digital TV.

You can get a digital TV decoder here, they're not very expensive, and it will plug into your HDMI connector on the Smart TV. You can see the locations of the TV station antennas and the channels here: https://www.argentina.gob.ar/jefatura/innovacion-publica/ssetic/conectar/tda I got one for an older TV, but the reception isn't great, I need to mount the antenna higher, and being surrounded by high buildings doesn't help.
Frank Pintor: Thank you for your great information. Very informative.

You are concerned about PAL N. The trick local assemblers (calling them manufacturers is a joke) found to force people not to bring their TV sets from abroad.
Not to worry. Cable TV dispenses of such requirements and I am not sure about Digital TV but in all aspects, you are talking about air signals and not cabled ones.
My Samsung TV was bought locally before/without the PAL N /Digital decoder. Have never missed it.

Iz

You are concerned about PAL N. The trick local assemblers (calling them manufacturers is a joke) found to force people not to bring their TV sets from abroad.
Not to worry. Cable TV dispenses of such requirements and I am not sure about Digital TV but in all aspects, you are talking about air signals and not cabled ones.
My Samsung TV was bought locally before/without the PAL N /Digital decoder. Have never missed it.

Iz
Outstanding. Thanks for the valuable information.

And nowadays contents are increasingly played through streaming....

Iz
I've been wondering about streaming, the Philips SmartTV I mentioned above has a browser, a Youtube app, and a couple of dodgy-looking streaming apps. Do you have any recommendations for streaming TV in English or Spanish?

I think the important thing here is that no one really watches live tv anymore. Everything comes from streaming recorded stuff. If it is live its streamed from some internet spot (youtube, cable provider, whatnot).

My Samsungs are as dumb as their owner.
I use Chromecast and just found out mine are outdated and can't cast Apple TV+.

Other than that, HBO, Disney, Netflix.
Never tried PlutoTV.

Iz

My Samsungs are as dumb as their owner.
I use Chromecast and just found out mine are outdated and can't cast Apple TV+.

Other than that, HBO, Disney, Netflix.
Never tried PlutoTV.

Iz

I like pluto as an addition to my options of video sources but it rarely works here since it's good at detecting the vpn. Amazon prime and pluto are the worst with the vpn. Hulu and netflix usually work without issue. Only problem with netflix on vpn is that the speed and resulting video quality is terrible. No issues with hulu though.

maybe your problem is being in neuquen.

here in BA i use VPN for all those and they work beautifully and with no quality issues. i also have a few different VPN accounts to use in case one gives me problems but they rarely do. i usually stick with Nord or Express.

Back