Importing After Obtaining Permanent Residency

I have a 2005 BMW R 1200 GS ( blue on silver ) sitting in storage in Tampa. Full Paniers , Top bag , Tank bag , custom seat , tools , GPS mount , ready to go. Lets ride down together , or tell me what HD you have. I would consider a trade.

I asked around , and there seem to be some additional restrictions on moto imports , so the correct info from a good despanchate is critical.

There are a ton of BMW Motorrad sites dedicated to adventure touring. The record for Prudhoe Bay , Alaska to Usuahia and BACK to Prudhoe Bay , Alaska is like 52 days......... Crazy ......

Softail Springer with an evo engine. I don't know what would be worse... the front suspension, the rear, the vibration of the evo engine, or fact that it is not rubber-mounted. Wrong bike for the trip.

Of those I spoke with, no one can provide any real assurance on successfully importing. Consensus seems to be that even with all the correct paperwork there is a good chance of running into problems. The best advice I received was...leave the USA motorcycle in the USA and use the money saved to buy something with a smaller engine made locally.

That's good advise. Follow it. Once you see how people drive you may consider bringing a Hummer H1.

If you are able to get your local consulate to approve it , and sign the correct documents , they have to let you import it. It is true that getting a correct answer is most difficult in Buenos Aires.

I imported my 1988 BMW 635 CSi , and had no problems at all. It is completely legal with Argentine plates. Of course it is a car , and I had to beg at the consulate in Miami , but never gave up , and after talking to a very nice women ( who was well versed in saying "NO". ) many times , she finally relented and had the consul sign off on it. May want to try that first.

And , you are correct in that the bike would be a bear to ride down to Argentina.

First of all, people will steal anything in this country that's not bolted down, or that is worth any kind of money, especially flashy american made vehicles and cell phones, and they might even steal your shoes and clothes too at gun point. My husband is Argentinian and had been living abroad with me and told me nothing every happens in Lanus, Buenos Aires, but a few weeks after we arrived here someone robbed him. They got his wallet, and all of his money, the stereo out of his car, and they even stole the shirt off of his back, and his groceries, so I definitely don't suggest wasting time, energy, or money on something that is really expensive here. It is likely to be stolen and you will never see it again. The police here are completely useless, just like in the states, but 100 times worse. They will not bother to help you at all. They are too busy with murders, kidnappings and other severe crimes.
Secondly, it's more hassle than it's worth to import something that is more likely to be stolen, or "lost", while in transit. Plus, you'd have to pay at least 50% in taxes of the bike's current official value, which will rack up expenses quickly. I've also had both locals and expats living in Argentina say they've had nothing but troubles with the mail services, like "lost" packages and letters, which are also likely to be stolen by people who are handling them in transit. So, wouldn't recommend risking something that expensive, unless you plan to sell it here in Argentina. Or, more preferably, if you don't plan to ever head back to the US, ask a trusted friend or family member to sell it for you and send the money via a personal bank account (if you're legal) or western union.
All that said, that's just what I've experienced personally here, so far, after a little more than a year of living here. I really don't know much about importing, taxes and duties, or paperwork for expats in Argentina. It may be different than it is for locals. All in all, I'd estimate you'd probably pay around, if not more, 25,000 pesos, or around $5500, just to bring it into the country, and that doesn't even include the local registration fees and taxes. If you really need it brought here then do it. It really also depends on where you live here. Tigre is the nicest place I've been so far in Argentina, and all the rich people live there, so it's a very upscale city.

First of all, people will steal anything in this country that's not bolted down, or that is worth any kind of money, especially flashy american made vehicles and cell phones, and they might even steal your shoes and clothes too at gun point. My husband is Argentinian and had been living abroad with me and told me nothing every happens in Lanus, Buenos Aires, but a few weeks after we arrived here someone robbed him. They got his wallet, and all of his money, the stereo out of his car, and they even stole the shirt off of his back, and his groceries, so I definitely don't suggest wasting time, energy, or money on something that is really expensive here. It is likely to be stolen and you will never see it again. The police here are completely useless, just like in the states, but 100 times worse. They will not bother to help you at all. They are too busy with murders, kidnappings and other severe crimes.
Secondly, it's more hassle than it's worth to import something that is more likely to be stolen, or "lost", while in transit. Plus, you'd have to pay at least 50% in taxes of the bike's current official value, which will rack up expenses quickly. I've also had both locals and expats living in Argentina say they've had nothing but troubles with the mail services, like "lost" packages and letters, which are also likely to be stolen by people who are handling them in transit. So, wouldn't recommend risking something that expensive, unless you plan to sell it here in Argentina. Or, more preferably, if you don't plan to ever head back to the US, ask a trusted friend or family member to sell it for you and send the money via a personal bank account (if you're legal) or western union.
All that said, that's just what I've experienced personally here, so far, after a little more than a year of living here. I really don't know much about importing, taxes and duties, or paperwork for expats in Argentina. It may be different than it is for locals. All in all, I'd estimate you'd probably pay around, if not more, 25,000 pesos, or around $5500, just to bring it into the country, and that doesn't even include the local registration fees and taxes. If you really need it brought here then do it. It really also depends on where you live here. Tigre is the nicest place I've been so far in Argentina, and all the rich people live there, so it's a very upscale city.

Sorry your husband was robbed. Never a good experience. If the OP wants to import his moto , he has every right to do so , within the rules. We all have to use due caution in our everyday lives to protect our property and our families. To clear up some of your comments , there would be no import tax on any motor vehicle under US$15,000.00 That is the exemption. As for shipping , the moto could be crated and shipped for under US$1000.00 As to weather it is worth it or not is a very personal choice.

Let me see if I understand this right, are you saying your Argentine husband told you (in all sincerity) that "nothing ever happens in Lanus"? As in, crime is nonexistent in Lanus? My wife is also from Lanus...and the decent part of it at that, but it is far from a safe place to live. Her family has been robbed countless times over the last few years. Her father got his car robbed by kids with some serious firepower. My wife was robbed at gun point several times while trying to put her keys in her door, and once was attacked in the street walking home.

I have seen a lot in Capital over the years...but Lanus scares the crap out of me to this day. I hate going down there and not just because it means seeing the Suegros :)

Back