Imports Easier Now With New Fx Rules?

keystrike

Registered
Hi everyone,

I've been lurking in this forum for a bit after having arrived in BA two months ago. Unfortunately my cell phone was forcefully stolen from me just outside my door (I wasn't even using it at the time as I am very careful about that, but a few guys came up to me and demanded it -- I know better than to resist but I at least tried to escape and they wouldn't let me; nobody was hurt fortunately) so I've been borrowing a friend's circa 2010 Blackberry. I see that capital controls have been dropped and various export taxes lifted or reduced. However, has the situation changed for imports under the new regime? My phone was insured as I saw that BA had one of the highest rates of phone theft in South America (possibly the highest rate), so there is a new one sitting in the US for me.

The problem is getting it here as from what I understand the combination of postal theft and high import taxes makes it more reasonable for me to wait for someone to visit and bring it to me. However I became rather dependent on my smart phone for so many years so it is a bit like withdrawal from an addictive substance... :D I would imagine that the removal of the dual exchange rate would allow for imports as they no longer need to fight the markets, but perhaps these policies still exist for now due to other protectionist arguments.

Thanks!

I am afraid you will have to wait on critical mass of positive reviews, to be sure it's safe to send it here. Things in my opinion will go slow and security of belongings will increase even slower. Also depends a bit if it's 200 or 700 dólar stuff, to take the risk.

Anyway, there is another more general thread opened, that cover this.

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking in this forum for a bit after having arrived in BA two months ago. Unfortunately my cell phone was forcefully stolen from me just outside my door (I wasn't even using it at the time as I am very careful about that, but a few guys came up to me and demanded it -- I know better than to resist but I at least tried to escape and they wouldn't let me; nobody was hurt fortunately) so I've been borrowing a friend's circa 2010 Blackberry. I see that capital controls have been dropped and various export taxes lifted or reduced. However, has the situation changed for imports under the new regime? My phone was insured as I saw that BA had one of the highest rates of phone theft in South America (possibly the highest rate), so there is a new one sitting in the US for me.

The problem is getting it here as from what I understand the combination of postal theft and high import taxes makes it more reasonable for me to wait for someone to visit and bring it to me. However I became rather dependent on my smart phone for so many years so it is a bit like withdrawal from an addictive substance... :D I would imagine that the removal of the dual exchange rate would allow for imports as they no longer need to fight the markets, but perhaps these policies still exist for now due to other protectionist arguments.

Thanks!

Hi: As someone who has been in Buenos Aires off and on for seven years and who who has had an iphone robbed at gunpoint, (not fun) I understand your situation. I think that this country is very "iffy" to say the least. If you have anybody visiting in the next several months thats your best bet to get your cell phone back. Buy a cheap unlocked phone here until you can get back to the U.S. The best thing that ever happened to Argentina is that Christina is not in power. Hopefully exportation and importation will open up again and these past twelve years will just be a very bad dream. I believe the new government has a chance, and I will leave it at that.

I don't use an expensive

It is also wise to get one or two second hand smartphones, which you even might get for free in USA, to use them when in more delicate places (night walks, subte..).

I have one expensive and one my sister didn't know what to do with in first world, which I use for street, parties etc. I was not robbed yet, but as I don't walk with 700 dollars in my hand through the city, also don't use expensive gadgets. And girls are common target here...

I notice most expats in BA are always in a hurry to sell off, their old phones as soon as they buy a new phone.

I always have at least 2 old ( not so old..really) phones lying in my drawer in BA - all updated with latest apps/ my email set ups, contact list etc ready for use on a immediate basis - if I lose the one I am using. Including the power cords etc

The phones can easily be sold for a good price...as one is a samsung galaxy 5 and one is iphone 5...depreciating in value daily but better to have a plan B and plan C at all times, as a part of the strategy for living in BA!

The one phone for the wife or girl friend, family and so on and one or two more for the gatos strategy. Never had or implimented this strategy but saw it in use so many times with associates or people I knew. Not saying you are doing this Ceviche..

Back