In defense of tourists

starlucia said:
To be fair, I know several Argentine-born "legal residents" who earn their income in cash and have not paid taxes in a decade (if ever.) I say, more power to them for getting ahead, but tax evasion is not just a perma-tourist problem.

Good point.

In turn some ppl get a hardon not following the rules, did your parents beat you as a child? I do not put down people, but I do not go for breaking the law, I do not see anythng wrong with that. I am nothing but submissive and I do not consider myself resented in any way, it seems that you snap when people do not agree with your anarchic lifestyle.

This country has enough issues as it is, yes lots of corruption, etc and certain behaviours just feed that, among other things. I am all for immigrants and I have high respect for them because they contribute and help build a nation. A traveler just pursues an individual goal.

Feel free to ask me about the different punishment techniques my parents stroke me with as well as any other aspect of my life that is irrelevant to the main topic.

Lee said:
Some people just have a hardon for "following the rules" that the oh so holier than thou governments put in place. WHY?

Did your parent s beat you into submission as a child?

Why put down people who think that the world is there to explore and FUCK RULES?

I just don't get the resentment? What is it?

Can you explain it to me?

PLEASE

arty said:
Illegal aliens take jobs and use public resources like schools and hospitals and don't pay into the system. Perma-tourists, last time I checked, don't usually do those things and bring money into the country.
The only difference I see is the job taking part, talking about en blanco jobs of course. I have met many perma tourists that are flat broke and live worse than locals piled up in a studio with 5 or 6 others. Not all perma tourists have enough to support themselves. How do pt pay into the system? Last time I checked they do not pay taxes, except for vat on food, etc, which is the same any illegal immigrant would pay anyway, what am I missing?

starlucia said:
To be fair, I know several Argentine-born "legal residents" who earn their income in cash and have not paid taxes in a decade (if ever.) I say, more power to them for getting ahead, but tax evasion is not just a perma-tourist problem.

As I said, that's a good point.

BUT: although it is true that SOME Argentines don't pay taxes, NO perma-tourist pays them.

It is well and good to say "more power to them" about those Args. evading taxes. But someone has to support the municipal hospitals, many of them so strapped for cash that doctors and nurses must pay for supplies out of their own pockets.

Yet, no perma-tourist is turned away. And we all pay for the services they receive for free.

Am I missing something?

No, you are not. Things are the really good compared with any other period from at least 1970 and on. With all the inflation and the insecurity thrown in the account. And the president is not popular in some areas (guess which ones), in some others it is very popular. Unless the oligopolic companies try to create hyper-inflation to throw the governent, the elections of 2011 are almost over (there is no alternative that could win).

marksoc said:
And the president is not popular in some areas (guess which ones), in some others it is very popular.

The President's approval rating is now 26%. WOW....! :)

marksoc said:
No, you are not. Things are the really good compared with any other period from at least 1970 and on. With all the inflation and the insecurity thrown in the account. And the president is not popular in some areas (guess which ones), in some others it is very popular. Unless the oligopolic companies try to create hyper-inflation to throw the governent, the elections of 2011 are almost over (there is no alternative that could win).

Oligopolic!?!?!? Looks like someone's been drinking the kool-aid. Companies do NOT create inflation as they'd love for you to believe out of the ministry of disinformation. Printing money and doing everything you can to dissuade investment in your country does that job just fine.

Restaurants and stores were busy, clubs were full, and people were generally blind to the fact that they were about to get robbed in November 2001. Yes, you are missing something.

That dumb ass president is only popular in the villas, any thinking person can't support someone as inept and outright corrupt as her.

marksoc said:

Please tell me what 25% of the country it is that supports the presidency.

Please tell me how oligarchic companies create hyper-inflation.

Well this certainly stirred the pot, didn't it? Although it doesn't take much on this forum to get people going, I think a lot of people are making valid points.

As much as I respect everyone's opinion on the matter, I just can't feel bad for my 'perma-tourist' status. I knew I wasn't going to stay in Argentina long term, so why waste my time with the hassle of trying to get a DNI that would never serve me anyway? And for all I know there is a quota of DNIs given to foreign residents - why take that from someone else?

I exited and re-entered the country every 3 months until it seemed silly to do so if I could just pay the 300 pesos upon exiting. In my mind this was fair and balanced to everyone: instead of Buquebus getting my money, the government of Argentina got it, much like a 'tax' that I clearly had been evading as a perma-tourist.

Also, I did not go to the doctor once, or otherwise make a burden of myself on any national system. But I paid U.S. taxes the entire time I was gone, supporting 'illegals' there who need emergency health care and glad to do it. I mean, really: does a handful of foreigners using the health care system raise your personal taxes as much as a single peso? It's a drop in the bucket and there are much worse things to get upset about.

I did not take employment from the locals. I earned dollars that I injected directly into the Argentinean economy. I ate out, shopped, traveled, and supported the local arts scene. I easily put 10k into businesses in 6 months' time, and I don't think any of them would have complained about my residency status.

I know that not all of us fit into these circumstances, but a lot of us do. There are tons of people that earn elsewhere and spend in Argentina. So, at the very least, we should balance out the others who come to work locally, the majority of whom head straight back to their home countries within a year.

Back