in six weeks here i've dealt with...

Miles Lewis said:
if you can't handle Argentina, you are going to be severely limited as to where in the world you can safely travel. Don't even think of India, China or Africa to name but a few. Argentina is a playground compared to them.

Are your serious about india.. is one of the easiest places to travel..
Africa - i lived/went to school in captown and have to agree that south africa in places and other countries in africa have bad areas, but africa as a place to travel is no worse than south america. Infact maybe even easier as english is widely spoken.
China - apart from the language - not being able to understand or read, isnt to bad from what i have seen of the country, and in the big cities people will just come up to you and start talking because the want to practice their english....

I am thinking that jrockstar is a guy, just by writing style/the wording of his post, so i dont think the problems are because of being a female.

I have times in BA when everything just seems to be going the wrong way, and then it just all becomes cruisy again.. mostly because of the bureaucracy or people trying to rip me off, or being driven crazy by the locals - and jealousy is a hugh problem here - guys and girls.
All i can suggest is roll with it and you'll become use to it or get smart and figure out how this place works.

Or be like me, take a break after 5 or 6 months because you get sick of it in BSAS - the noise/traffic/pollution/bank queues etc, go somewhere else for a couple of months, then start missing this f**ked up place.

I've been here for a year and a half and haven't had any of the aforementioned above.

I look at it this way, this place is dangerous, but any city is dangerous if you go to certain parts. Looking at where most of the posters above are staying (Barracas, Constitucion de Noche, Lugano), these are the lower class areas of the city (Constitucion depends on the part). Palermo and Recoleta are much safer.

If a Latino were to travel to the States and he were to go to New York, if he goes to Manhattan he's not going to have any issues not being able to speak the language and such. If he goes to Queens or the Bronx thinking he's going to save some money, they're going to rob him blind. He might not see some dude take a shit on his porch, but I wouldn't rule it out :)

I have had a guy take a shit on my porch in Washington DC -- which is way more unsafe than Buenos Aires btw

gsi16386 said:
I've been here for a year and a half and haven't had any of the aforementioned above.

I look at it this way, this place is dangerous, but any city is dangerous if you go to certain parts. Looking at where most of the posters above are staying (Barracas, Constitucion de Noche, Lugano), these are the lower class areas of the city (Constitucion depends on the part). Palermo and Recoleta are much safer.

If a Latino were to travel to the States and he were to go to New York, if he goes to Manhattan he's not going to have any issues not being able to speak the language and such. If he goes to Queens or the Bronx thinking he's going to save some money, they're going to rob him blind. He might not see some dude take a shit on his porch, but I wouldn't rule it out :)
have you ever been to Queens or The bronx?? quenns has the largest argentine community in nyc..?? ever heard of the south bronx???

Try walking in New Delhi after 8 pm on foot minus a car.

Its highly unlikely that you will not get kidnapped or gang-raped.

BROOKLYN said:
have you ever been to Queens or The bronx?? quenns has the largest argentine community in nyc..?? ever heard of the south bronx???

And I'm sure an Argie would be just as safe in that particular part of Queens as would and American be safe in Palermo where there's a huge expat community. Compare that to a place like Barracas where there are very few, if any Americans and stick an Argie in Harlem, they're both going to have issues.

Back