in six weeks here i've dealt with...

Try the bus journey from La paz to Rurrenbaque in Bolivia in the rainy season. That should put things in perspective.

Gusss said:
Try the bus journey from La paz to Rurrenbaque in Bolivia in the rainy season. That should put things in perspective.

F*******G HELL, I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE. Jesus christ, those were misserable days

Gusss said:

Hah! I'll see your La Paz to Rurrenbaque and raise you Guayaramerin to La Paz in the rainy season too. My Avatar picture was taken in Santa Rosa here...

Attachments

• 109 Santa Rosa, two days out of  Guayaramerin on the road to La Paz 30.03.07.jpg
    109 Santa Rosa, two days out of Guayaramerin on the road to La Paz 30.03.07.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 12
seriously people, its no different in europe..is the US ( guess thats where most of the comments are from!) really that different? No one is making you stay here!!

nikkia said:
seriously people, its no different in europe..is the US ( guess thats where most of the comments are from!) really that different

living in Europe is one crisis after another? I don't remember that from living in London for a year.

I will say that travel is not part of American culture, basically the way it seems to be in every other country. 2/3 of americans don't have passports. so yes, our tolerance for travel-related crisis is low.

nikkia said:
No one is making you stay here!!

thanks for that helpful and original piece of advice! i do believe this is the first time anyone's ever said that on this board.

i don't remember complaining in my original post. i think my original post even said that i generally like it here. i was simply wondering if having to throw away a good chunk of what i own due to bedbugs, getting massively sick twice, getting thrown out of an apartment, and going through a vicious breakup, while finding steady employment, experiencing culture shock, and adapting to the different language here, was normal. i guess that's par for the course in six weeks in europe??

there seems to be a corollary of Godwin's law operative on this board, something like, 'as the length of a discussion on baexpats increases, the probability that you will be told to leave argentina approaches 1.' the point of this board, at least as i understand it, is to share tips for surviving and thriving in a culture different than our own. among the people here there is going to be a wide range of coping strategies and abilities. i'm not sure what psychological benefit people get from telling people that they might as well leave.

nikkia said:
seriously people, its no different in europe..is the US ( guess thats where most of the comments are from!) really that different? No one is making you stay here!!

Funny, having lived 80 years in Ireland my mother hasnt had any defecate on her front door stop..get a grip...when youre here 10 years let me know how you feel, your permatourist views have value but patronising statements are unnecessary.

i just wanted to update this, for whatever it's worth, and say that i decided to leave. 2 months here was enough. i'm really sad to leave because in the end, i do like it here. i just can't ignore the things that keep happening to me. there was someone upthread who said something like, 'maybe you just keep putting yourself in a position where you're allowing these things to happen.' and i think that's basically true. i spent 2 weeks here before deciding to come here, and i knew BA wasn't an easy place, but I really underestimated it, and well, latin america. good luck everyone.

jrockstar80 said:
i just wanted to update this, for whatever it's worth, and say that i decided to leave. 2 months here was enough. i'm really sad to leave because in the end, i do like it here. i just can't ignore the things that keep happening to me. there was someone upthread who said something like, 'maybe you just keep putting yourself in a position where you're allowing these things to happen.' and i think that's basically true. i spent 2 weeks here before deciding to come here, and i knew BA wasn't an easy place, but I really underestimated it, and well, latin america. good luck everyone.

and good luck to you buddy. Acc. Google Ive visited or lived in 27% of the world and let me tell you BsAs is extreme.....the European facade fools us all into a false sense of "security" ...its them, not you, remember that and good luck in finding your own personal paradise.

Back