In Which I Introduce Myself.

Fangar

Registered
Good evening all.
I plan to move to Buenos Aires in July or August of 2016. I need to wait that long in order to finish up a couple of cases and to help my mother celebrate her Centennial.
I have been following the postings here for several months but have only in the last couple of days managed to successfully navigate the on-line registration process.
My interests are music, choral especially, books, architecture, food, antiques and people.
I am heartened to see that the people on this site whom I would most like to meet are those of you who actually reside in Argentina.
I visited BA a few years ago and thoroughly enjoyed myself. Like jantango I prefer a retirement of adventure. I already live in a small city with lots of retired Americans so am not looking for that. BA looks like a big city that I can actually afford to live in on my SS and modest savings.
In October I plan to spend the entire month in BA doing groundwork. I will look forward to attending as many expat chats as you have while I'm there.
Before coming down for October I have two questions for which I would welcome your attention.
1. Can you recommend a personal Spanish teacher? I want to do a one on one class for about 10 hours a week, and I expect will need to continue getting professional help for as long as I live there. There are scads of teachers who advertise in one place or another and they all look fabulous, which is the problem.
2. I had a molar extracted a couple of months ago and need an implant. I thought it would make sense to have the work done in October while in BA, and again, I have found a couple of web sites offering dental services, but they look specifically directed to norteamericanos and are priced accordingly. Can you make some suggestions. If the internet practices are well recommended I would be happy to use one of them; the price isn't out of line.
Your posts have been extremely helpful, particularly dealing with currency, both electrical and monetary.
I look forward to meeting you in person.
Best regards,
Fangar (JRM)
p.s. I can't figure out how to do my signature and my avatar is of Tom of Tom and Jerry fame, not the real Fangar, whose picture had too much hair and too many Ks to upload.
p.p.s. sorry for the long post, I do tend to go on once started.

Welcome Fangar! And congrats to your mom on her centennial - spectacular!

I didn't find your introduction post that long, and I can tell you as the person who seems to have the record of creating the longest posts, at which so many people roll their eyes with dismay, that you are still far from a post of annoying length :)

I just wanted make a comment about the implants. I don't know that a month would be long enough to get everything done related to getting the implant taken care of. It will most likely take awhile to get the initial consultation out of the way, then the measurements and fabricating the porcelain, putting the post in, etc. You can certainly get the process started, but it may end up not making sense considering you are still a year away from being here on a more long-term basis, unless you can come back to complete the treatment before then. I could be wrong in this, of course.

I know a number of people who have had implants. I would recommend my wife's dentist, but he left BA a couple of years ago to live in Mar del Plata. A first-rate dental surgeon with good prices. I do have two friends who have had some need for dental surgery recently, including one who was going to get a number of implants but ended up with a bridge and some dentures for now. Both doctors seem to be quite professional, speak English, and give good prices. I've sent a message off to my buddies to see if I can get the contact information for their docs.

I didn't find your introduction post that long, and I can tell you as the person who seems to have the record of creating the longest posts, at which so many people roll their eyes with dismay, that you are still far from a post of annoying length :)

Even when you're long-winded (and often misguided), I think you mean well.

Thank you ElQueso, Another thing I've notice about these forums is how quickly threads go OT for people to offer gratuitous insults to each other, real or in jest.

Back