Indian In Buenos Aires

redeemer

Registered
Hii,
I am an indian in Buenos Aires from last monday. will be here for two months on a assignment.
Hoping to meet some of you over time.

Initial experience here is not good as there is almost no one who speaks English and the restaurants/eateries does not serve much of chicken, and I do not eat beef :( . so sort of struggling.

The weather is one awesome thing i found here, after a break I am finding such cold and thorughly enjoying it :)

Sorrry but most restos serve chicken under other names.
Also the are many vegetarin places all over town, as well as naturist places, etc.

Welcome to my country.

Where are you located? Maybe we can provide you with a few restorants to accomodate you, there are members here from dfferent parts of the city/country.

While not the preferred kind of meat unless prices dictate so, chicken is quite popular, specially by the womenfolk.
You can find it in salads, empanadas, milanesas (schnitzels made with bread instead of flour), grilled, with rice, etc.
In the menu, sometimes it is under "Aves" (meaning mostly poultry).

If you can find it, I suggest you try "pollo al disco".

If you are in BA, there are a few restaurants reputed by their chicken recipes.
Try La Cantina de Arnoldo, Cabrera y Bulnes. It's Italian cuisine.

http://www.guiaoleo.com.ar/

Many local bakeries or (panaderias) make delcious chicken empanadas...
Also there are other words for chicken, for example "suprema" instead of chicken breast. Just ask the restaurant and they will point out the chicken dishes on their menu.

thanks guys, let me start on these lines now :) ... as of now is trying out with 'Pollo',
I am staying in a place called Callao-suites, in the intersection of callao & santa-fe avenues.

even I observed that the chicken based dishes are relatively costly. there is a carrefour two blocks away, will check in the evening if they sell raw chicken :)

Suprema means chicken breast, usually fried. Normally they usually offer it grilled or in salads. Good luck!

welcome,

you may try china town for more Asian type dishes. Near the gate, there is a vegetarian restaurant (chinese style). Prices in Chinatown are reasonable compared to other Asian type restaurants in Palermo or Recoletta. I gave up on Indian food here after trying a few places, Tandoor and Taj Mahal.... the curries were mostly just sweet, and briyanni just a little more flavored then white rice.. but the naan and parotta were decent.

Try Cumaná at Rodriguez Pena and Sta Fe.
Best chinese take away on M.T. de Alvear and Callao in front of the park.

If you cross Cordoba you'll find better prices, more of a business area and restaurants cater mostly to white collars during office hours.
SUBWAY on Cordoba y Sta Fé, if desperate.

Carrefour is less expensive than Disco, Coto is cheaper.

To go to Chinatown, first go to Retiro's first station, buy round trip to Belgrano and take the trains that go to Victoria/Tigre. Your stop is the second one. Get off the train, keep walking in the same direction till the end of the station, cross tracks and you're there.

Argies do not fancy spicy (hot) food, expect none.

Excellent stone cooked garlic and spices chicken at El Sanjuanino, Posadas and Callao. But they've gone insane with their prices.

There's an Indian restaurant I walk past every day, corner of Charcas and Laprida (Subte Aguerro or maybe Pueyrredon)

Have never been so can't say what it's like, but it looks very clean and modern.

Back