Planning to start a Indian resturant in Buenos Aires

prabhu.mohanraaj

Registered
Do you think is this the right place to start ? Have mad a intencive research and have travelled across South America and found Bs As is the right place to start one ...

There are a couple of indian restaurants in BSAS, however they are expensive, and being an expat i wont buy from them due to price, around 5 x more expensive than at home for the same thing..

I think your main customers would be expats, as most of the locals i know dont like spicy food (infact they dont like anything other than pasta/pizza/meat) so you would need to get expats/tourist as customers and the price would have to be right..

There are about six or seven already, they all have the same kind of Indian food, and I agree with everything davonz said above. I'm Indian too btw.

All the indian restaurants BA are not very good. I have wasted money trying them all.

When I lived in NYC, I fell in love with Indian food. I have fond memories of fresh breads, lovely spiced food and tasty condiments.

Hopefully you know how to cook. We don't need more of the same crap.

Tandoor is ok but you need to tell them to make it spicy.

Its too expensive though and they don't serve beer in reasonable sized bottles at a normal price.

Someone mentioned an indian takeaway in recoletta that is supposed to be quite good and reasonably priced. no idea the name though

davonz said:
There are a couple of indian restaurants in BSAS, however they are expensive, and being an expat i wont buy from them due to price, around 5 x more expensive than at home for the same thing..

I think your main customers would be expats, as most of the locals i know dont like spicy food (infact they dont like anything other than pasta/pizza/meat) so you would need to get expats/tourist as customers and the price would have to be right..

There are plenty of well travelled Argentine and Latin Americans who would be interested as well. That begin said I would certainly look into opening something up in the northern suburbs, lot's of people with good spending power and willingness to travel. There are plenty of exotic food places(in the barrio privados as well) but as far my knowledge goes there is no Indian restaurant

Lee said:
If I were you I would start an Argentine restaurant in India.

I am sure you can bore them to death with bland food!

But they might like it! Who knows!!!

Selling Argentinean beef in India would be interesting indeed.:p

For once everybody seems to agree : the three Indian restaurants I tried in BA all sucked (one on Cordoba, one on Charcas if I recall and one in the Centro).

If you want to open an authentic Indian restaurant (using spices).. you will be packed with expats...but very few if any locals will come!

Back