Indian In Buenos Aires

cafeconleche said:
Yes I'm Indian. PM me for more info but people have pretty much told you all that I would have said. You'll find yourself cooking at home more because the food is so different.

thats true, i can cook @home, :), already started experimenting ! but struggling to get the ingredients. we dont get the 'Daal' here is it ? any pointer for buying spices maybe ?

redeemer said:
thats true, i can cook @home, :), already started experimenting ! but struggling to get the ingredients. we dont get the 'Daal' here is it ? any pointer for buying spices maybe ?

You can get lentejas i.e. masoor dal, lentejas de turquia, kidney beans (forgot what this is called in spanish) and garbanzo i.e. chana dal everywhere and whole moong dal in Barrio Chino only. You get some more common spices in Carrefour etc but more variety in Barrio Chino. Not all spices are available here.

We used to get Indian take-out from a tiny place called Akbar 72 (Azcuenaga between Santa Fe and Arenales.) It was owned by a pair of recently-arrived Bangladeshi brothers, and a generous portion of chicken curry with rice ran about 20 pesos (a samosa was about 5.) I haven't been there in a year, so I have no idea whether it's still there or what current prices are like, but it's worth finding out!

any pointer for buying spices maybe ?

If you don't want to go all the way to Chinatown, New Garden Villares is great for spices. That's where I buy turmeric, cumin, cayenne pepper, curry powder, etc (as well as coconut milk, basmati rice, dried beans, etc.)

cafeconleche said:
You can get lentejas i.e. masoor dal, lentejas de turquia, kidney beans (forgot what this is called in spanish) and garbanzo i.e. chana dal everywhere and whole moong dal in Barrio Chino only. You get some more common spices in Carrefour etc but more variety in Barrio Chino. Not all spices are available here.

starlucia said:
We used to get Indian take-out from a tiny place called Akbar 72 (Azcuenaga between Santa Fe and Arenales.) It was owned by a pair of recently-arrived Bangladeshi brothers, and a generous portion of chicken curry with rice ran about 20 pesos (a samosa was about 5.) I haven't been there in a year, so I have no idea whether it's still there or what current prices are like, but it's worth finding out!

If you don't want to go all the way to Chinatown, New Garden Villares is great for spices. That's where I buy turmeric, cumin, cayenne pepper, curry powder, etc (as well as coconut milk, basmati rice, dried beans, etc.)

thanks guys, looks like i can survive two months :) . let me search out for the things. noting down the names and places :). thanks again for all the help.

Napoleon said:
DO NOT GO TO RETIRO!

Instead, walk 3 blocks over to Av. Cordoba. Get on the Subte D towards "Congreso de Tucaman". (The other direction is "Catedral", and you don't want that.)

Remember, the Subte's "run on the left here because the British built the trains, trams, & first few subway lines. So you'll have to cross Cordoba before going down underground.

Then just take the Subte to Juramento. Get off and walk down hill on Juramento about 5 blocks. You pass a little park and then a bigger park right as you get to the train tracks. Cross them and turn left.

Taking the train from Retiro will save you a peso or two on that ticket, but you'll have to take a bus down to Retiro, so you lose a bit there. And Retiro is fairly scummy, so there's that as well.

The walk down Juramento beats the walk around Retiro 7 days a week. Plus, you get to see a different neighborhood (Belgrano).

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%C3%ADnea_D_(Subte_de_Buenos_Aires)

Definitely better than my advise. Thanks Napoleon.

starlucia said:
We used to get Indian take-out from a tiny place called Akbar 72 (Azcuenaga between Santa Fe and Arenales.)

I second that place. They cook for Argentine taste but will spice up things for you if you ask. Quiet a few chicken dishes on the menu if I remember correctly.

last night went t othat place for dinner. good place, decent pricing. ask them to make it spicy if u want :) , otherwise little blunt test .

gulabjamun is awesome !!

Back